Pelini says...........

Another Bad Bo thread??!! :facepalm:

You people struggling to support Taylor and now Bo, please, give your damn tickets (yes, give, cuz you sure the hell dont deserve any money for them) to someone who will. Last thing we need saturday night is a chorus of boos and grumbling a minute into the game after Taylor's first incompletion. If all you wanna do is gripe and moan then stay home and shutup.

So what you're saying is, you read this:

Pelini said harsh fan criticism of Martinez is a "shame."

"The same people who sit out in our stadium on their hands and don't cheer are the same people who sit back and criticize our quarterback -- a kid who's out there busting his butt and putting up good numbers," Pelini said.

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath. No point in attacking Martinez. He is clearly the man, and has the support of many. Most importantly though he has the support of his fellow players and his coaches. Or at least, they are definitely trying to make it appear so. No point in Bo slamming the fan base again either. Somehow the most negative fans get the entire fan base "labeled" as pessimists or outright a$$hole$. Lord knows. I've made some harsh judgments usually fueled by a beer or six, but still, I do have these guys' backs when it really comes down to it. I would say 90 percent of the Husker fan base does. Bo needs to quit passing his judgment on the entire fan base with these comments, when really the only thing he's basing his perception on is the outspoken few.

as this:

OMG I HATE BO, BO IS EVIL, BO HATES OUR PLAYERS, BO HATES OUR FANS, FIRE THIS CLOWN OSBORNE, CALL THE WAAAAAAAAAAAAMBULANCE

?

Jeez. Did you even read the OP?

The op call Bo out for slamming the fan base. He did not do that. He slammed a select few that do exactly what he said they do. I go to 9 of 10 home games, there's 2 or 3 in every section (probably more). I sat in the same seats many times as a kid in the 90's and there was always this old boy who always wanted Osborne fired. A bad play, Osborne needed to be fires. Yelling it out loud. When? IN THE MIDDLE OF THE 95 SEASON NONETHELESS. These are the ones who need to go. I was not antagonizing the op in any way. I did not quote that post or reply to it. I made a remark of the thread in general and the perception that it implies. However, I am antagonizing negative fans. I know, yes I know for every neggy on here, there's a hundred very respectful and proud fans that are positive as well as a 100 more who would love to be there saturday night. So in saying, if you're gonna be negative and boo the first time Martinez sneezes, then please, keep your rear home. We dont need that crap in our home stadium anymore. Yes, I fully understand the op's support and backing for the team. Saddest part of this all? The thread is about Bo and what he said, but sure enough, 2 of the next 3 posts are about Martinez and "how bad he is" Get over yourselves. That's all.

Still mystified why more criticism isn't aimed at the defense, where it belongs. Including a defensive front line that was ranked among the best in the nation coming in, but appears to threaten absolutely no one. A Martinez-led offense would look brilliant against these blackshirts.

People need just one face to blame, and Taylor Martinez is easier to crap on than Carl Pelini.

I wonder if we would've heard all of this criticism had we won. If we would've stayed in the game, still had those interceptions but made a come back later in the game. Would all have been forgiven?

We coulda beaten Wisconsin 70-0. There would still be whinin. See my previous post of the guy who would always want osborne fired in the middle of the 95 season. I shat you not. Some are just never pleased and I would prefer if they would just stay home. Problem with whole thing? Bo spoke the truth and put it out there. Seems like we need a lot more of that in our society.

On our local sports radio show today they were talking about this loss again and how before the season 9 of 10 folks would predict 2-3 losses. One of them being Wisconsin. The remaing 1 would either predict 5 or 6 losses or a national title. So we actually lose to Wisconsin as pretty much expected but it's a total meltdown. My land, it's like telling someone theyre gonna scream over and over again, and when they do, you kick em in the balls.

Another Bad Bo thread??!! :facepalm:

You people struggling to support Taylor and now Bo, please, give your damn tickets (yes, give, cuz you sure the hell dont deserve any money for them) to someone who will. Last thing we need saturday night is a chorus of boos and grumbling a minute into the game after Taylor's first incompletion. If all you wanna do is gripe and moan then stay home and shutup.

So what you're saying is, you read this:

Pelini said harsh fan criticism of Martinez is a "shame."

"The same people who sit out in our stadium on their hands and don't cheer are the same people who sit back and criticize our quarterback -- a kid who's out there busting his butt and putting up good numbers," Pelini said.

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath. No point in attacking Martinez. He is clearly the man, and has the support of many. Most importantly though he has the support of his fellow players and his coaches. Or at least, they are definitely trying to make it appear so. No point in Bo slamming the fan base again either. Somehow the most negative fans get the entire fan base "labeled" as pessimists or outright a$$hole$. Lord knows. I've made some harsh judgments usually fueled by a beer or six, but still, I do have these guys' backs when it really comes down to it. I would say 90 percent of the Husker fan base does. Bo needs to quit passing his judgment on the entire fan base with these comments, when really the only thing he's basing his perception on is the outspoken few.

as this:

OMG I HATE BO, BO IS EVIL, BO HATES OUR PLAYERS, BO HATES OUR FANS, FIRE THIS CLOWN OSBORNE, CALL THE WAAAAAAAAAAAAMBULANCE

?

Jeez. Did you even read the OP?

The op call Bo out for slamming the fan base. He did not do that. He slammed a select few that do exactly what he said they do. I go to 9 of 10 home games, there's 2 or 3 in every section (probably more). I sat in the same seats many times as a kid in the 90's and there was always this old boy who always wanted Osborne fired. A bad play, Osborne needed to be fires. Yelling it out loud. When? IN THE MIDDLE OF THE 95 SEASON NONETHELESS. These are the ones who need to go. I was not antagonizing the op in any way. I did not quote that post or reply to it. I made a remark of the thread in general and the perception that it implies. However, I am antagonizing negative fans. I know, yes I know for every neggy on here, there's a hundred very respectful and proud fans that are positive as well as a 100 more who would love to be there saturday night. So in saying, if you're gonna be negative and boo the first time Martinez sneezes, then please, keep your rear home. We dont need that crap in our home stadium anymore. Yes, I fully understand the op's support and backing for the team. Saddest part of this all? The thread is about Bo and what he said, but sure enough, 2 of the next 3 posts are about Martinez and "how bad he is" Get over yourselves. That's all.

Thanks for the clarification. In that regard, I agree with you (and Bo).

God I will be so relieved after we whip OSU and some of this nonsense gets put to bed for at least awhile. What a bunch of hair-trigger, fair weather fans. One friggen loss to a better team and people go into meltdown mode. Sure the loss was bad, worse than it needed to be, ugly, and embarrassing to some extent but in the end it is only one loss. It's really friggin easy to sit back and armchair quarterback and talk like you could coach better. One suggestion; Until you've actually done it better, shut the F up. Go ahead all you know-it-alls, tell me how you could do it better, what they are all doing wrong, and how important you are in the grand scheme. Don't worry, you'll only come across as idiotic once again. If your self perception is so wrapped up and tied solely to Nebraska football, then all I can say is you need to get a life.

I'm surprised Bo is able to maintain his composure as well as he does. If I was in his position, some people in the media would be in traction and I'd be in jail.

• Fire 1

The problems is that he's just not a quarterback. Nuff said. He was put into the position and he's doing his best I'm sure (and I hope), but he's just not cut out for it. It like if we had put Joe Ganz out there at I-back and criticized him when he sucked. It's a tough position, and I don't think it's his fault. He's just not in the right place.

Exactly, but I will expand on that by saying he just needs to be utilized as the type of quarterback he is.

He's not going to do well week in and week out if he's being asked to throw 20+ passes a game, especially if those passes are timing routes or throws that require a fair amount of accuracy. He just isn't going to do it.

But what he can do, imho, is throw 10-15 times a game, complete short dump off passes to guys like Turner and Bell who can use their speed on the perimeter, throw off of play-action and hand the ball off. What he can't do is try and make throws traditional pocket passers make. He just doesn't have the mechanics nor the accuracy at this point.

Running quarterbacks can still be great quarterbacks.

There's plenty of blame to go around. The defense is a part of it, Martinez is a part of it, and Beck is a part of it. A lot of people make the mistake of saying "Don't blame X, blame Y" when both of them are partially to blame.

And yet you don't mention the head coach who oversees all of this: Bo Pelini.

Reading this board it seems to me Bo Pelini should be grateful to have the fan loyalty he does.

There's plenty of blame to go around. The defense is a part of it, Martinez is a part of it, and Beck is a part of it. A lot of people make the mistake of saying "Don't blame X, blame Y" when both of them are partially to blame.

Reading this board it seems to me Bo Pelini should be grateful to have the fan loyalty he does.

Yes, Bo's a part of it too.

I like Bo, but he's certainly not beyond reproach.

I think it's just human nature to focus on the negative. Or maybe we do it a lot here because so many seasons have fallen short of expectations lately.

Our O Line is playing really well lately. Our WRs are looking like a really good unit. We are ridiculous at RB, we have two great TEs, we have a QB with some really great, specific skills.

But none of these things are what we focus on. We are 4-1 and we've played a tougher schedule this year so far than in any of the previous seven or eight years (through five games), but all we're focusing on is the loss, and the ugly play in the wins.

I find myself doing it, too, and when I'm not talking publicly like this I tend to focus on the negative a lot, too. It's a really easy habit to get into.

I think that this is because everything ultimately is Pelini's responsibility, but most people aren't ready to shuck all the blame onto him like they did with Callahan.

With Callahan it was easy - he was a different mold and he was easy to dislike for on reason or another. The issue at Oklahoma early in his coaching career was one thing, but there were always other little things like his exclamation that he was doing a good job in '07 despite the team not playing well.

Furthermore, Bo has put together dominating defenses in his time at Nebraska. Callahan never had any part of his team doing anything great.

Lastly, Bo is a championship coach. He's done a lot of good things in the college football landscape. People are going to support him unless something egregious happens like in 2007 where a team gave up, played terribly and the entire fan base was alienated.