Official Taylor Martinez is a boss - thread

Enhance

As an addendum to the above post, I just noticed the background image on the ESPN All-American voting page.

Is this last year's Kansas game?

LINK

What's the point of photoshopping the words off the field when there is a clear Nebraska 'N' in the bottom right corner. -_-

Use a more generic picture next time, ESPN.

Particularly awful Shop job at midfield. :P

I don't expect smooth sailing from Martinez from here on out. I think this was an important game for his development, but I don't expect massive improvement of the very real flaws we've seen the first five 1/2 games.

I'm expecting baby steps. I expect he'll have more games where we all just cringe and pull our hair out, but hopefully - hopefully! - as his career moves on they get fewer and farther between.

All due props to Taylor for the comeback, though. He was a key piece of the puzzle in bringing this team back, and he deserves a game ball. As does Rex, as does Lavonte.

100% agree. There will still be issues and growing pains. But to me the single biggest factor was his willingness to dump the ball off. When you get Rex the ball out in that kind of space, more often than not, good things are going to happen. And it should be a big confidence booster for TM too.

Agreed.

Crow, please.

If Taylor limits his mistakes (i.e., giving up 3 points before the half) he can be a bearable QB. My two biggest gripes - his passing, and his carelessness with the football. Saturday he finally used underneath routes, utilizing our RBs, who are VERY good receivers BTW, and protecting the ball on runs.

Very, very good game from Taylor and I give him full credit for it.

My biggest worry however - I ate crow last year when I dogged Taylor and then the Okie State game happened. I ate crow after that game, just like I will after this one. But will Taylor warp back into the guy we have all seen, or did Taylor magically progress as a QB over the course of a week?

I'm definitely skeptical, but for these next two weeks (and likely 3 since we play Minny), he has forced me to shutup and not be as hard on him.

OK State seemed to be his breakthrough game last year, after struggling against Texas, but he also played well the following week against Missouri until he was hurt. We all know what happened after that.

This year, Ohio State definitely seems to be a similar breakthrough after struggling against Wisconsin. It doesn't make much sense to me to question whether the improvement was "real" or not, given that what he struggled with against Wisconsin was forcing the ball when he had checkdowns available to him. I thought he demonstrated pretty clearly against Ohio State that he had learned that lesson. It was no accident.

Crow, please.

If Taylor limits his mistakes (i.e., giving up 3 points before the half) he can be a bearable QB. My two biggest gripes - his passing, and his carelessness with the football. Saturday he finally used underneath routes, utilizing our RBs, who are VERY good receivers BTW, and protecting the ball on runs.

Very, very good game from Taylor and I give him full credit for it.

My biggest worry however - I ate crow last year when I dogged Taylor and then the Okie State game happened. I ate crow after that game, just like I will after this one. But will Taylor warp back into the guy we have all seen, or did Taylor magically progress as a QB over the course of a week?

I'm definitely skeptical, but for these next two weeks (and likely 3 since we play Minny), he has forced me to shutup and not be as hard on him.

If he limits all his mistakes he could get to be a "bearable" qb for us?

lol!

Just keep hating, BigWillie.

GBR!!

I don't think there was any magical progression involved. This is what Taylor has been all along. He just (quote)needs to make better decisions(unquote). That, and his coaches need to put him in a better position to succeed. Done and done as far as OSU is concerned. Beck's playcalling in the Ohio State game helped him make better decisions. Now they just need to keep doing it (obviously easier said than done). He's still the same guy with the trbl passing mechanics. And he probably won't be able to stand in the pocket and pick apart secondaries anytime ever. But we don't need him to. If the coaches acknowledge what his weaknesses are and let him do what he does best, then he can be as dangerous as any QB in the nation.

I don't think there was any magical progression involved. This is what Taylor has been all along. He just (quote)needs to make better decisions(unquote). That, and his coaches need to put him in a better position to succeed. Done and done as far as OSU is concerned, Beck's playcalling in the Ohio State game helped him make better decisions. Now they just need to keep doing it (obviously easier said than done). He's still the same guy with the trbl passing mechanics. And he probably won't be able to stand in the pocket and pick apart secondaries anytime ever. But we don't need him to. If the coaches acknowledge what his weaknesses are and let him do what he does best, then he can be as dangerous as any QB in the nation.

This is all true about Beck's playcalling. Taylor started out 10/10 passing, and he didn't throw a pass more than 15 yards downfield. It only took us, what? 17 games into his career to figure out that we shouldn't have him pushing the ball downfield umpteen times a game? The kid isn't a long-ball passer. He's no Jammal Lord. He's got the mechanics of a short-throw passer, and we finally utilized those mechanics properly. Not only did Taylor grow this game (making several check-downs and exhibiting more patience in the pocket) but our OC also showed improvement. Both need to continue to grow, though. This is no time for back-patting. That's the fans' job.

One thing Taylor still has to get a handle on (no pun intended) is his ball security. I think he put it on the carpet a couple more times last week. Both were after the whistle blew, but it's gotta stop.

All in all he's progressing. He's still a sophomore, still learning a new(ish) system. I am cautiously optimistic about the future with him.

And for all of you eating crow, don't take too much yet. There's a lot of football yet to play, and we haven't completely turned the corner with Taylor yet. We're peeking around that corner, though. Baby steps.

I don't think there was any magical progression involved. This is what Taylor has been all along. He just (quote)needs to make better decisions(unquote). That, and his coaches need to put him in a better position to succeed. Done and done as far as OSU is concerned, Beck's playcalling in the Ohio State game helped him make better decisions. Now they just need to keep doing it (obviously easier said than done). He's still the same guy with the trbl passing mechanics. And he probably won't be able to stand in the pocket and pick apart secondaries anytime ever. But we don't need him to. If the coaches acknowledge what his weaknesses are and let him do what he does best, then he can be as dangerous as any QB in the nation.

This is all true about Beck's playcalling. Taylor started out 10/10 passing, and he didn't throw a pass more than 15 yards downfield. It only took us, what? 17 games into his career to figure out that we shouldn't have him pushing the ball downfield umpteen times a game? The kid isn't a long-ball passer. He's no Jammal Lord. He's got the mechanics of a short-throw passer, and we finally utilized those mechanics properly. Not only did Taylor grow this game (making several check-downs and exhibiting more patience in the pocket) but our OC also showed improvement. Both need to continue to grow, though. This is no time for back-patting. That's the fans' job.

One thing Taylor still has to get a handle on (no pun intended) is his ball security. I think he put it on the carpet a couple more times last week. Both were after the whistle blew, but it's gotta stop.

All in all he's progressing. He's still a sophomore, still learning a new(ish) system. I am cautiously optimistic about the future with him.

And for all of you eating crow, don't take too much yet. There's a lot of football yet to play, and we haven't completely turned the corner with Taylor yet. We're peeking around that corner, though. Baby steps.

This is where we as fans get too high and low. When a guy has a bad game it's all RABBLE RABBLE, pitchforks, and torches. When the same guy has a good game we him on a pedestal. And it's magnified 10x with the quarterback position.

• Fire 1

I don't know about that. Taylor's mechanics in the short game have been kinda questionable I thought. Not leading receivers properly, not great accuracy, etc. I would say that Taylor's biggest strength is that he doesn't throw a bad long ball especially when we are able to get 1-on-1 coverage. He has pretty decent arm strength I think.

How effective Taylor has gotten recently in the short passes has been pretty awesome to see. Definitely a surprise. So if he is coming along in the short passing, that's a great addition to his arsenal.

I don't know about that. Taylor's mechanics in the short game have been kinda questionable I thought. Not leading receivers properly, not great accuracy, etc. I would say that Taylor's biggest strength is that he doesn't throw a bad long ball especially when we are able to get 1-on-1 coverage. He has pretty decent arm strength I think.

How effective Taylor has gotten recently in the short passes has been pretty awesome to see. Definitely a surprise. So if he is coming along in the short passing, that's a great addition to his arsenal.

Taylor's mechanics are awful no matter what kind of throw he is trying to make. That said, he definitely excels in the short to the intermediary game and with the deep ball. The type of throw that is most frightening is the one that goes beyond 10 or 15 yards into the middle of the field.

Taylor played as complete of a game against tOSU as we've seen him play yet. I think Taylor needs to throw the ball 20ish times a games, with a couple long balls to stretch the field. Whay baffles me is that TM had over 100 yards and it seemed there were very few plays that were designed runs for him. It's no secret he is not a pure passer, it is also no secret he is a fenom of a runner. Why not utilize that a little more? i.e. Dennard