New Triple Option formation

Enhance

I'm sure those of you who watched the game noticed a new set Saturday, one in which Burkhead lines up in a fullback position and a wide receiver comes around in motion. It's extremely similar to the triple option attack Johnson uses at Georgia Tech.

To my knowledge, we haven't seen this set before. When I saw us first use it, and saw the player come in motion from the slot, I actually thought that player was out of position and tried to correct themselves before the ball was snapped. Regardless, the formation worked extremely well yesterday at key times, especially when we would hand the ball off to Burkhead on a sort of trap play.

Does any other university run an option attack like this? I have to admit that I've never seen another team line up in a triple option set but have the slot receiver come around, although I doubt we created it. Usually the motion back lines up behind the tackle or right by the tackle, not split out in the slot.

Also, kudos to Beck for bringing back the elusive diamond formation. Killed tOSU for a late touchdown to Enunwa.

Burkhead at FB was killer. He hits the gaps quick and his natural ability makes a short gain into a 5 or 6 yarder easy. Then the fact that Aaron Green and Abdullah are on the field too.....it just makes the defense have to think about all kinds of things. I'm loving it. I think it will develop into a big part of our game. Of course, Martinez always has the option of keeping it as well. Which as we have all seen, can really pay huge dividends. Burkhead, Martinez, Abdullah and Green all in the backfield at the same time.........Yep, sounds like a winner to me.

Yeah this new formation looked like a hybrid between the Pistol and the Flexbone formations. Whatever it was, it was working, and I hope we continue to use it in the future. It plays to Taylor's strengths really well.

Like the OP said, it's called the diamond formation....popularized by Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

Yeah this new formation looked like a hybrid between the Pistol and the Flexbone formations. Whatever it was, it was working, and I hope we continue to use it in the future. It plays to Taylor's strengths really well.

Like the OP said, it's called the diamond formation....popularized by Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

Well I was actually referring to two different formations.

The first formation was the flexbone-esque formation, where Martinez lined up under center with Burkhead in the fullback position, and then we had a slot receiver come in motion.

Then I just wanted to give props to Beck for using the diamond again.

I'm sure those of you who watched the game noticed a new set Saturday, one in which Burkhead lines up in a fullback position and a wide receiver comes around in motion. It's extremely similar to the triple option attack Johnson uses at Georgia Tech.

To my knowledge, we haven't seen this set before. When I saw us first use it, and saw the player come in motion from the slot, I actually thought that player was out of position and tried to correct themselves before the ball was snapped. Regardless, the formation worked extremely well yesterday at key times, especially when we would hand the ball off to Burkhead on a sort of trap play.

Does any other university run an option attack like this? I have to admit that I've never seen another team line up in a triple option set but have the slot receiver come around, although I doubt we created it. Usually the motion back lines up behind the tackle or right by the tackle, not split out in the slot.

Also, kudos to Beck for bringing back the elusive diamond formation. Killed tOSU for a late touchdown to Enunwa.

P. Johnson is one ultra-sharp SOB bordering on TO country. Using some of his best schemes is a no lose scenario in my book.

I know I'm in a very small minority but I'd like to see Tim use the misdirection plays a little more. The few times he has they've worked great and you just know opponent DCs are having multiple heart attacks every time especially when it's Tmart keeping the ball w/ a fake hand-off & going the opposite direction of everyone else. Holy sh*t, you know they hate that. Lol!

Beck has the weapons in spades. Major props to him for using them.

GBR!!

xV1w3.jpg

This zone read T-Mart scored on out of the diamond was such a great play! I can't imagine a drawn up play being executed better, and there's so many different things that can be done out of it. Either decision the end makes, if the safety whiffs it's a big gainer.

And the next score came off a zone read fake out of the diamond where the safeties came way up and allowed Enunwa to get a step and haul in it.

• Fire 5

xV1w3.jpg

This zone read T-Mart scored on out of the diamond was such a great play! I can't imagine a drawn up play being executed better, and there's so many different things that can be done out of it. Either decision the end makes, if the safety whiffs it's a big gainer.

And the next score came off a zone read fake out of the diamond where the safeties came way up and allowed Enunwa to get a step and haul in it.

also if you look at the Enunwa td, you'll see that Aaron Green was open on the right side too.

• Fire 1

P. Johnson is one ultra-sharp SOB bordering on TO country. Using some of his best schemes is a no lose scenario in my book.

I know I'm in a very small minority but I'd like to see Tim use the misdirection plays a little more. The few times he has they've worked great and you just know opponent DCs are having multiple heart attacks every time especially when it's Tmart keeping the ball w/ a fake hand-off & going the opposite direction of everyone else. Holy sh*t, you know they hate that. Lol!

Beck has the weapons in spades. Major props to him for using them.

GBR!!

I remember hearing that beck used flexbone as an offensive coach at the high school level. I'm gonna look at the formations OP was referring to and see if there was a third back at the wing as well as the slot coming around.

xV1w3.jpg

also if you look at the Enunwa td, you'll see that Aaron Green was open on the right side too.

xV1w3.jpg

Nice post I like the pics thanx

Does anybody remember seeing the diamond or this new triple option set before half-time?

I personally don't, so I wonder if Beck would prefer not to use them? It seems that we started this game with our basic formation of power-i/pistol/shotgun, and then ran the diamond/nebraska-flexbone/power-i exclusively to finish the game.

Seriously, props to Beck for making the switch and getting our guys rolling, but I wonder what the reasoning is behind not using them earlier? My best guess is that Beck wants to test the defenses early with the basics and then go to these formations later if he has too, but I'm wondering what you guys think.

Does anybody remember seeing the diamond or this new triple option set before half-time?

I personally don't, so I wonder if Beck would prefer not to use them? It seems that we started this game with our basic formation of power-i/pistol/shotgun, and then ran the diamond/nebraska-flexbone/power-i exclusively to finish the game.

Seriously, props to Beck for making the switch and getting our guys rolling, but I wonder what the reasoning is behind not using them earlier? My best guess is that Beck wants to test the defenses early with the basics and then go to these formations later if he has too, but I'm wondering what you guys think.

I sure don't remember seeing it before.

It's a "very" good question about why it surfaces now. I'm in the "reps required" camp so I think it's silly to hide it almost to halfway into the season. Heh....otoh, there's no arguing the great results. So what do I know?

Maybe da skers will swing by and give us the scoop.

GBR!!