NU vs NEB

WYHusk

Something to talk about since there's no fb for a couple weeks.

I'm sure everyone has noticed how the BTN is calling us NEB, and Northwestern NU. At first I was ticked off about that, because we're the REAL NU, but now, I'm cool with NEB.

I'm from outstate Nebraska originally, Scottsbluff, and honestly the only connection we had with you all back east was the Huskers. The Panhandle is not the Midwest; we have lots more in common with Wyoming and Colorado than Lincoln and Omaha. To me, the Husks represent the whole STATE, not primarily just the university. NEB reflects that more than NU. Especially now that us folks out here in God's country are deprived of even every other year game in Boulder, and the nearest Husk game for us in Lincoln.

In short, I know there's a lot of tradition in NU, but there was a lot of tradition in a lot of things that no more now that we're in the B1G, and I prefer NEB. Anyone else?

Most people in Big Ten land think of Northwestern when they see "NU" so yea...I also don't understand why The University of Nebraska goes by NU and not UN or UNL. It was never "Nebraska University" was it?

I like huKSer's idea though. You guys should just be "N"

Most people in Big Ten land think of Northwestern when they see "NU" so yea...I also don't understand why The University of Nebraska goes by NU and not UN or UNL. It was never "Nebraska University" was it?

I like huKSer's idea though. You guys should just be "N"

Old Big 8 thing.

OU, OSU, CU, KU, KSU, MU, ISU, NU.....

Save for a massive public relations campaign you're going to be Neb....It bugs me that the national media refers to Washington as UW, it bothers Carolina fans that the Trojans get USC. It's not always fair but you learn to live

On that note, I'd bet more people in the national media think of Nebraska as NU rather than Northwestern. The Big 10 media obviously doesn't see it that way.

Save for a massive public relations campaign you're going to be Neb....It bugs me that the national media refers to Washington as UW, it bothers Carolina fans that the Trojans get USC. It's not always fair but you learn to live

On that note, I'd bet more people in the national media think of Nebraska as NU rather than Northwestern. The Big 10 media obviously doesn't see it that way.

Well we're talking about the BTN as the OP stated. In most of the midwest, which the BTN is primarily designed to serve (though it has a national audience) NU is Northwestern. I really didn't become familiar with the "NU" abbreviation until I started reading this board last year. But hey I understand your frustration. You guys are a much better program with more history. Maybe if you put it on your helmets or uniforms it would change.

Well we're talking about the BTN as the OP stated. In most of the midwest, which the BTN is primarily designed to serve (though it has a national audience) NU is Northwestern. I really didn't become familiar with the "NU" abbreviation until I started reading this board last year. But hey I understand your frustration. You guys are a much better program with more history. Maybe if you put it on your helmets or uniforms it would change.

I don't think it's frustration. It just is what it is. Nobody is upset about this here.