Barfknecht: Peevish postgame does NU no favors

You know I've never had a problem with Bo's behavior even when we have lost. It's who he is. He's passionate and fiery. That translates into some impressive effort by his kids (most of the time) so why extinguish the fire to be media savvy?

Because the game is over. Be fiery and passionate during the game, but after, you have to be a civilized human being.

If you saw a random guy being a dick to someone for no reason, would you think it was okay because hes passionate and fiery? Or would you think he was a douche and "that guy"? I would hope the latter. So why is it okay for Bo Pelini to act like he does outside of the game? Bc he's head coach of Nebraska?

I wouldn't think anything at all it's none of my business. ;)

Everyone in this whole situation just needs to take a breath...

[...] But when columnists blend what is fact & what is fiction, when they write articles thatimply that someone said something when they really didn't, and when they stoop below the expected level of their profession then it is a cause for concern for the general public.

Just curious... what part of Dirk's (or even Lee's) story was flat out fiction? I don't want to stir the pot too much, but as far as I recall, Bo has told more flat out lies than these critical columns...

There is no way to prove that an anonymous former athletic dept employee had a conversation with Lee unless he reveals his source. They used to teach that type of thing in J-School as a no-no. (Bach of Journalism, NU 01)

That's just the most glaring one. Both articles are rife with specualtion masquerading as fact.

• Fire 1

[...] But when columnists blend what is fact & what is fiction, when they write articles thatimply that someone said something when they really didn't, and when they stoop below the expected level of their profession then it is a cause for concern for the general public.

Just curious... what part of Dirk's (or even Lee's) story was flat out fiction? I don't want to stir the pot too much, but as far as I recall, Bo has told more flat out lies than these critical columns...

There is no way to prove that an anonymous former athletic dept employee had a conversation with Lee unless he reveals his source. They used to teach that type of thing in J-School as a no-no. (Bach of Journalism, NU 01)

That's just the most glaring one. Both articles are rife with specualtion masquerading as fact.

Okay -- the anonymous source is one. But what exactly was said in Dirk's article that was portrayed as fact and not just opinion based on facts?

Umm Pelini does have an anger problem, should be at least civil to the fans and news media. I dont think Pelini will be here very much longer.

Anger problem? Try looking at some other defensive coordinators around the nation. Bo gets a bad rep because he is the head coach, but there are some scary coordinators out there, ones that I thought were much worse than Bo.

Bo is a different breed of head coach. He has been civil to the fans as long as I can remember except when some, rightfully so, deserve to be put on blast in a press conference. He's also a very passionate guy, who loves his players and is loved back by his players.

Honestly, what makes you think Bo Pelini won't be here much longer, and what exactly is "much longer" to you?

So let me get this straight...we would rather have a coach that can give fluffy press conferences spew rainbows and kittens from his mouth rather than coach some kids, win games, and run a "clean" program?

Yeah bo should take a note from some of the more media savvy coaches that know how to brush things off and answer questions with more non answers, but he is still learning. Id rather his weakness be his media savvieness than his coach abilities.

How about some articles that talk about the great second half adjustments that led to that comeback. How about some stories on our secondary and how the youth is going to step up. How about looking at crick's struggles this season? How about any story about football. Id rather be reading about the players on this team and strategies instead of boorish article after article of TM and Bo.

And the references to media like how the columbus media didnt like bo.....um id like to see some facts. There is still a sprinkling out here in columbus that bo is on the radar for osu, it may not be during the upcoming sanction years but the post sanction years. Also the columbus media is more focused on its own problems if anyone has noticed.

I think some people are stuck in a rut here and when the only negative thing the writers forum posters can come up with is how Bo isnt as media savvy and quotable as someone like Gruden then that leaves me to believe things are going pretty good for this program.

Ill end with "I dont post much but when I do post I always post with a dos equis in my hand"

This post should have ended this topic! Very well done my friend!

I have sent this along to the coaching staff as a template on how they should conduct pressers in the future. I just need to secure a campaign cover for Bo.

Only steers and queers come from Texas and you don't look like a steer to me so I guess that kinda narrows it down.

You know I've never had a problem with Bo's behavior even when we have lost. It's who he is. He's passionate and fiery. That translates into some impressive effort by his kids (most of the time) so why extinguish the fire to be media savvy?

Because the game is over. Be fiery and passionate during the game, but after, you have to be a civilized human being.

Being fiery and passionate doesn't make someone uncivilized.

If you saw a random guy being a dick to someone for no reason, would you think it was okay because hes passionate and fiery? Or would you think he was a douche and "that guy"? I would hope the latter. So why is it okay for Bo Pelini to act like he does outside of the game? Bc he's head coach of Nebraska?

It's hardly "for no reason" in the case of Dirk constantly trying to get a reaction out of him.

Outside of sports and work it does. Maybe Im just a big fan on treating people with respect, I don't know.

I believe respect is earned and not ironically handed out like lollipops at the dentist office. I also believe making moutains out of molehills is childish.

And Im not just talking about what happened with Dirk. Hes done these things for all four years hes been here.

He has improved his demeanor with the local media a great deal. I give him mad props for growing as a person and a coach. The only time it seems to be an issue these days is when Dirk gets the reaction he's aiming to get. In fact it's the only reason we're having this discussion right now.

Actually I can recall a time where Bo blasted a fan who called into the coaches radio show one time when he was the DC. It was just some poor smuck who didn't phrase his

question very well and asked Bo how he was going to fix a problem that he had on defense with the linebackers or something like that. Bo immediately got very defensive and

jumped all over the guy. The guy wasn't being all that critical and obviously was just a casual fan who was trying to get a better understanding. I felt really bad for the guy.

That was a long time ago though so I think he has gotten better with the fans.

There is no way to prove that an anonymous former athletic dept employee had a conversation with Lee unless he reveals

his source. They used to teach that type of thing in J-School as a no-no. (Bach of Journalism, NU 01)

Okay -- the anonymous source is one. But what exactly was said in Dirk's article that was portrayed as fact and not just

opinion based on facts?

Several speculative statements that he styles and passes as fact. The line about Taylor "being better suited somewhere else" for example.

I understand that it was an opinion piece, but he was arguing that last weeks game was a watershed, and used the above statement as evidence. That is falsey inflating an opinion as fact. Also a no-no.

I just got back from Key West, FL and by the way enjoyed the Husker comeback. I arrive back home to this dribble from the World Herald. We have 4 or 5 reporters covering one football team. Perhaps if the WH started putting some news in their paper, they wouldn't be losing subscribers left and right. I remember Mike Kelly taking pot shots at Tom Osborne for years until they assigned to writing "nice" stories. Again a case of the media not reporting the news but being the news. Do me a favor, put the scores in and give me the stats, cause I watch the games, I don't need anybody else's take on the game.