Diagnose the Defense

I believe that the defense has turned a corner and they did so before Braxton went out. When David took the ball from him it lit a spark in that whole unit and there was no looking back. I believe that even if the QB didn't get injured for Ohio St. we still would have come back potentially for a close win. I don't see a need to diagnose the defense. They are better already.

• Fire 1

I believe that the defense has turned a corner and they did so before Braxton went out. When David took the ball from him it lit a spark in that whole unit and there was no looking back. I believe that even if the QB didn't get injured for Ohio St. we still would have come back potentially for a close win. I don't see a need to diagnose the defense. They are better already.

If they can carry it over to other games then yes they are fixed

Problem is the '08 and '09 classes were big disappointments in terms of LB's. Should've started beating the bushes for a JUCO-LB as soon as we announced we were going to the 10. Our d-line scheme is meant to set-up the LB's to make plays and Lavonte is the only one that does it with any regularity.

I also have to question the offseason defensive staffing/responsibility moves. Thus far outside of recruiting they haven't borne fruit.

Fisher & Compton have played pretty poorly & have looked very slow. They have both been juked so badly they fell down. I really think they need to find a couple of guys with speed who can tackle no matter their size. David is on the smaller side for a LB but makes great plays with his speed.

I re-watched a couple games......and I am in agreement we need more pressure. But first and foremost, our DE's have got to keep containment. Everytime Braxton Miller had big gains it seems teh DE's lost contain. Meredith and williams aren't getting it done. They need to push more upfield. Ankrah is the only DE I have seen get some pressure. But, compton and fisher are slow and get juked way too much. misdirection plays are going to kill us.

Blown assignments and missed tackles are the biggest things that need to be fixed, other than that, the defense needs more experience. We lost a lot last year and the youngsters haven't stepped up and filled those shoes yet.

This is essentially what's wrong with the defense. Tackling is poor and guys are just really blowing their assignments. Generally speaking, I felt pretty good about our chances to hit a guy in the back field if we had a clear shot the last two years. That hasn't happened at all this year. It's uncanny how many times we have been within a hair of a big play, only to see backfire on us or result in a loss of down. I don't think I can count on two hands how many times we have had a player miss a sack or TFL this year, especially sacks. It's happened far too much.

One of the larger issues with the defense going forward is the fact that you can't rely on that one guy to be double teamed anymore. When Crick is in there, you can bank on a lot of double teams, which frees up your other players to make plays. Because we have no one in there that demands a double team, our defense is going to have to do a lot better with their individual assignments.

Blown assignments and missed tackles are the biggest things that need to be fixed, other than that, the defense needs more experience. We lost a lot last year and the youngsters haven't stepped up and filled those shoes yet.

This is essentially what's wrong with the defense. Tackling is poor and guys are just really blowing their assignments. Generally speaking, I felt pretty good about our chances to hit a guy in the back field if we had a clear shot the last two years. That hasn't happened at all this year. It's uncanny how many times we have been within a hair of a big play, only to see backfire on us or result in a loss of down. I don't think I can count on two hands how many times we have had a player miss a sack or TFL this year, especially sacks. It's happened far too much.

One of the larger issues with the defense going forward is the fact that you can't rely on that one guy to be double teamed anymore. When Crick is in there, you can bank on a lot of double teams, which frees up your other players to make plays. Because we have no one in there that demands a double team, our defense is going to have to do a lot better with their individual assignments.

Oh Gawd, that's scary. We can't make any plays even when Crick was in there getting double teamed and now he's out. Oh boy......c'mon offense!!

GBR!!

I just noticed this stat, and it's a little disturbing: Last year we intercepted Nathan Enderle of Idaho as many times in one game (5) as the total number of interceptions we have through six games of this year (5 interceptions). What's up with that??! I'm not sure whether this is a symptom or a cause. But in either case it's not good.

I just noticed this stat, and it's a little disturbing: Last year we intercepted Nathan Enderle of Idaho as many times in one game (5) as the total number of interceptions we have through six games of this year (5 interceptions). What's up with that??! I'm not sure whether this is a symptom or a cause. But in either case it's not good.

Thats what I'm saying, our forcing turnovers has become almost non existant. I'd be curious to see what the number of turnovers we've had past 3 years at this point in the season to now. It'd be pretty frightening, I would imagine

Well after watching the Bo Pelini Show and the interview with coach Papuchis I can see where the defensive confusion comes from. In the interview he states clearly that this year they went way from the 2 gap D and went to a straight push style. Now this is his first year as D-Line coach so maybe he is confusing the front guys. They were use to a different style and now he changes it to "just get in there". This aggressive style would be nice if we weren't going against 300lb'rs that are pushing back. With all the defensive coach changes this year, it looks like we just have to ride it out and hope for the best. I for one am not sold on this guy yet or Raymond, but Papuchis has been here longer, and appears to be a good recruiter, although our special teams haven't been stellar the last few year either. The one thing I forgot to mention is that with this new style , you need good linebackers, of which, we have none.

Well after watching the Bo Pelini Show and the interview with coach Papuchis I can see where the defensive confusion comes from. In the interview he states clearly that this year they went way from the 2 gap D and went to a straight push style. Now this is his first year as D-Line coach so maybe he is confusing the front guys. They were use to a different style and now he changes it to "just get in there". This aggressive style would be nice if we weren't going against 300lb'rs that are pushing back. With all the defensive coach changes this year, it looks like we just have to ride it out and hope for the best. I for one am not sold on this guy yet or Raymond, but Papuchis has been here longer, and appears to be a good recruiter, although our special teams haven't been stellar the last few year either. The one thing I forgot to mention is that with this new style , you need good linebackers, of which, we have none.

Huh? Well, I think David is terrific but to each their own.

GBR!!

Huh did you watch any husker games. Our Special Team's have been great. Did you forget about Alex Henery & Eric Martin. Niles Paul made me cringe when he was the PR, but I would put that on Papuchis. Niles just struggled making routine catches. This year has been even better. Solid kicking game, great return game & I think we have been above average in coverage.