What We Learned

robsker

OK. I'll start.

We learned that our OC is probably going to OK. It seems to me that Beck is beginning to show signs that he can be a D1 OC and perform well.

We learned that Kenny Bell is fast -- that Braylon Heard looks solid as a RB --- that Brandon Kinnie has character and toughs it out and had a good game --- that TMart is OK in a short passing game if he has some time --- that teams have learned not to kick to Ameer Abdullah.

We confirmed, again, what has been the case for years now --- NU cannot... simply cannot... play an intense, focused, physical, 4 quarters in a game. Once more, the NU kids played with intensity and passion, physicality and focus for 2.5 quarters and then got unfocused and lacking in intensity (sure, by then they were up a bunch and the game was done... still... it would be great to see an intense, focused team all 4 quarters of the same game).

We again could not generate pressure with a 4 man front. And again our blitzing was, generally, ineffectual.

I'd say, that we learned not that much beyond what has been the case before and what we already knew. Minnesota is a horrible team.

Next week, the defensive pressure has to get much, much, much better. Blitzing must get better. And, of course, next week would be a great time for NU to play the whole game.

I have to disagree to a certain extent. Defense didn't generate any pressure from the front four, I will give you that one. We did try and blitz, but we couldn't get ti done. I really like that fact, and I hope folks noticed, but Baptiste was playing tight on the line on the wide side of the field. that helped tremendously with the cutback. Compton and the whole defense tackled much better. I think we did lose a little focus...but man, bell is faster than I thought. Kinnie is slow and still drops passes, turner dropped a touchdown pass. Our offense is young, no doubt, but so is our defense. We should have blown out Minnesota, and we did what we were supposed to do. But, our schemes on both sides of the ball were different. And fundamentally, we looked more solid.

I have always said that you just have to line up and play. We will not get any respect, nor we deserve any until we mash on people. Michigan State doesn't scare me at all. Why? no mobile qb. They are going to line up and run right at us. With 97 in the middle can't remember his name, but he got chewed up and spit out by Pelini, we are a little more solid. Steinkhuler is overrated. And one more thing.....did anyone notice fisher getting demoted???

We have too many athletes to get blown out like Wisconsin did us. But, I agree robsker.....we have to get more pressure, I think we have like 2 sacks all year! We put pressure on Cousins, it's over.

I have to disagree to a certain extent. Defense didn't generate any pressure from the front four, I will give you that one. We did try and blitz, but we couldn't get ti done. I really like that fact, and I hope folks noticed, but Baptiste was playing tight on the line on the wide side of the field. that helped tremendously with the cutback. Compton and the whole defense tackled much better. I think we did lose a little focus...but man, bell is faster than I thought. Kinnie is slow and still drops passes, turner dropped a touchdown pass. Our offense is young, no doubt, but so is our defense. We should have blown out Minnesota, and we did what we were supposed to do. But, our schemes on both sides of the ball were different. And fundamentally, we looked more solid.

I have always said that you just have to line up and play. We will not get any respect, nor we deserve any until we mash on people. Michigan State doesn't scare me at all. Why? no mobile qb. They are going to line up and run right at us. With 97 in the middle can't remember his name, but he got chewed up and spit out by Pelini, we are a little more solid. Steinkhuler is overrated. And one more thing.....did anyone notice fisher getting demoted???

We have too many athletes to get blown out like Wisconsin did us. But, I agree robsker.....we have to get more pressure, I think we have like 2 sacks all year! We put pressure on Cousins, it's over.

Regarding next week... well... I think that NU will have a real tough time moving the ball on O. We will need some really good field position with regularity (please kick to Ameer) in order to get many points. And we'll need a turnover or two from them to give us a short field as well. Otherwise, if NU has to go 70-80 yards on a drive... not going to happen --- consistent ball movement will not be possible. A big play or two... that is possible. Anyway.... points for us will be scarce. Now for them... they can run and pass --- and yes the QB is not mobile --- but in the trenches they will own our DL and he will have all day to throw. They will score a lot --- again unless NU catches a break or two in turnovers. You do not fear MSU... you should. They are several touchdowns better than NU, at least. A blowout of Wisconsin proportions is quite possible. Not sure if it will happen, necessarily, but it would not be at all surprising if it did. I tend to think that the game will not be overly contested... but probably not a blowout either. Say... MSU scoring 28-34 or so points and NU scoring 7-17 points. I'll take a semi-middle road prediction and have it MSU 31, NU 13.

Our o-line couldn't open up any running lanes on those two field goals we had to settle for. Got better in the second half. Couldn't get any pressure on Gray, how will they get it on Cousins. Still dropping some passes, everyone does thou. We have a ton of speed, at the skill positions. Martinez seems to be getting better at adjusting his passing, saw that in the ball Turner dropped. Still don't see that fire in this team especially on defense.

I thought they played a good game, even if it was Minn. I don't know if they can play any better, but I think this team has reached its peak. Could get better, sure, just don't think this is the year. We will give Mich ST and the rest of the teams on the schedule all they can handle. jmo

GBR!!!

Looks to me like they have a good pair of receivers, good size and good speed. If we don't get consistent pressure on the QB, those guys are going to do damage. I see them looking to try to minimize Burkhead as much as possible and force TM to beat them. He'll break some big runs but I think they're going to force him to throw the ball. And contrary to what most think here, I'm not convinced our passing game is there yet. We still have too many drops and too many of TM's passes are off just enough that against better defenses at the best they will be incompletions. Slant's thrown behind receivers will get someone killed across the middle.

I don't think the Minnesota game really gave us anything, execution looked somewhat sloppy to me, and that's understandable, how do you really get yourself completely mentally prepared to play a opponent you know is so inferior. But we've really only played one solid half of offensive football against a quality defense and I just don't know what to expect.

The thing in our favor though is that obviously MSU can suck it up also, how in the world did they lose to Notre Dame?

I don't understand what there is to fear about Michigan State and why they are just going to come into Memorial Stadium and have their way with us. Sure, they beat Wisconsin, but they beat them on a one in a 1000 chance play and they were at home. Take their HFA away, I don't think they win the game. They go into OT, they might've won, but even that is uncertain. They just won an emotionally draining game against the best team in their conference at home, and now they have to come into Lincoln and play us. They have shown that they can play bad defense, Notre Dame scored what, 30+ points on them?

Sparty has not played a team like Nebraska...I don't care who the opposing defense is [Ohio State's was ranked 13th, and look what we did to them], we're going to wind up moving the ball on them at multiple points during the game. If our defense can play solid for the first half and keep the game close or take the lead going into halftime, I want to bet that we'll wind up winning that game.

Michigan State is a very good team, and they'll give us a fight, but I'm not going to hype them up to be demigods or downplay our team like it's going to be a bunch of 5th graders going up against the Green Bay Packers.

Now onto what we learned:

I would say not a whole lot. I would say there are two things to take away from this game:

1) The first half

2) Minnesota had about 2 big plays, one was a trick play that's going to get you yards 85% of the time. The other one was Gray running down the sideline (that was his only big play--we did a good job containing him)

Our receivers can drop the ball on TD plays, which is unfortunate.

Chase Rome will do good things as long as he doesn't have boneheaded penalties.

Our RB's are ridiculous and are a major pain for any team.

Jean-Baptiste will be a good cornerback.

We can't seem to play a complete game.....again!

major_payne_1995_300x427_548467.jpg

But seriously, BRI is a huge Damon Wayans fan.

I think the reason we did not appear to play a complete game has more to do with backups being in the game and everyone knowing the game was more or less over at halftime, barring some miracle Gopher comeback/complete Husker collapse (of Ohio State proportions :D). When we put our untested backups in, of course execution is going to suffer to some degree. Look no further than Carnes... he bore the deer in headlights look was night. When you compound that with Beck trying to call a conservative, chew clock type of game... We do alright but we struggle to continue to put points on the board. We chew clock, but drives stall and the number on the scoreboard stays the same. Once Beck and Co learn how to stay conservative and still put together drives that culminate in points, it will be a beautiful day for this offense. Then we will begin to put teams away and snuff out any hope they have of starting a comeback.