Official Why We Beat MSU Thread

The battle in this game (like almost every game) is in the trenches. MSU has a BIG d-line and some physical backers that our O-line will have to try and shove around. If we win this battle, or even tie, it's a good sign. Then if our D-line can get a push into the backfield, and our LB's and safeties clog up some holes in the running lanes, that is also big.

We do these two things, and we win, assuming that we don't lose the turnover battle.

Are you kidding? Win? This debbie downer is not confident about this game. Mich St. looked like an opportunistic team saturday. Blocked punt, turnovers, hail mary win....Wisconsin had 17 points going into the 4th.

They were opportunistic. I concur on that one. But how many times can those things happen again. They were sky-high for the Wisconsin game. If anyone is going to be opportunistic and create those kind of opportunities, it will be us.

I've seen little this year to show that we can win this game. They are very aggressive on defense and have many weapons at the skill positions on offense. We have had trouble all year at DB, and they have good receivers and a QB who can get it to them. They also have good RB, so we can't sell out against the pass. And their defense is probably the best we have played so far. The only thing that gives me hope is how we finished the OSU game. If we can run it on them like we did and wear them down, we might stand a chance. I give us about a 25% of winning this game.

Really impressed with this thread. Folks have done their homework. My take is a) that Cousins and the O-line had a very rough start and are on a trajectory of improvement and b) the defense is feeling pretty aggressive - fueled by some talented guys and good corner play that lets them blitz when they want to. I see the Wisconsin game as the triumph of preparation and focus over a team whose offense should have beaten them. If they can keep that edge, they can win Saturday.

We will win because Lawrence Phillips is still putting up 200 a game from Cell Block B on Sparty. :LOLtartar

How NU wins this one, as has been stated, control the line. I am talking NU's offense vs. Spraty DLine. This will tell you what is up. Nu's line has inmproved all year, well this is the game to take the next step in theeir progression.

Tempo, tempo, tempo. MSU's DLine is one of if not the best NU will see this year, but their were a couple of times at the end of the Wisky game that those guys were sucking air bad.

Kyler Reed will play a huge roll. Wilson worked their TE good, and as much as MSU beings the safeties on the blitz, the LB that will cover for said blitzing LB will have his hands full.

Stay the course. No need to crap yourselves and fold like a house of cards, MSU didn't do this last week and that was a huge difference from the NU/Wisky game. This also plays into Taylor's play, no need to get excited and crap your pants over a blitz and throw it right to the dropping LB.

Finally, 11am or not, this at home. That is worth something. To sum it up think of the Mizzou game last year. As it has been pointed out in other threads, the similarities are eerie, except the fact that NU's defense couldn't hold a fart to last years.

I think the Blackshirts will look okay this week. Homefield is a bigger advantage for Defense than for Offense. I just hope this week is the week we unleash some blitzing to get a bit of pressure on Cousins. Something we've not done much of all season.

Our O-line needs to step up. Needs to give T-Mart a little time when he passes. Needs to give Rex a crease when he runs. I think the game is slowing down for T-Mart every week. He’s gaining confidence. Now if he can improve a bit at avoiding sacks. And hang onto the damn ball. Maybe the magic gloves will help. That’s the key. The magic gloves.

As many have said already the key to beating our Spartans as far as I'm concerned is to not allow us to establish the run and to get pressure on Cousins. Cousins gets flustered when he is pressured and even though he is a fifth year senior he still makes bad mistakes when the rush is coming. On offense from what I can tell NU must be able to mix in the pass to a certain degree. MSU will bring lots of heat if you cannot throw the ball well (see Michigan game). Anyways just my two cents. Go GREEN!!

If we can pick up their blitzes, we have a very good chance. MSU LOVES to blitzes and that could be a bad deal for us given that Martinez gets rattled and jumpy while in the pocket. If he can keep his composure and get the ball out fast, we could really do some damage.

Spot on! However, live by the blitz....die by the blitz. Lets hope Martinez can get the ball out quickly and accurately.

We will win because Lawrence Phillips is still putting up 200 a game from Cell Block B on Sparty. :LOLtartar

How NU wins this one, as has been stated, control the line. I am talking NU's offense vs. Spraty DLine. This will tell you what is up. Nu's line has inmproved all year, well this is the game to take the next step in theeir progression.

Tempo, tempo, tempo. MSU's DLine is one of if not the best NU will see this year, but their were a couple of times at the end of the Wisky game that those guys were sucking air bad.

Kyler Reed will play a huge roll. Wilson worked their TE good, and as much as MSU beings the safeties on the blitz, the LB that will cover for said blitzing LB will have his hands full.

Stay the course. No need to crap yourselves and fold like a house of cards, MSU didn't do this last week and that was a huge difference from the NU/Wisky game. This also plays into Taylor's play, no need to get excited and crap your pants over a blitz and throw it right to the dropping LB.

Finally, 11am or not, this at home. That is worth something. To sum it up think of the Mizzou game last year. As it has been pointed out in other threads, the similarities are eerie, except the fact that NU's defense couldn't hold a fart to last years.

I agree with the tempo (brought this up earlier) and I feel the O can and will use an up-tempo pace. Looking at Sparty's DL this could work well, I question their conditioning. However, this will be irrelevant if they act like they did at Wisky. Please feed Kyler!

Reasons We Win

1. Home field advantage

2. Taylor, Rex and the Freshman Backs provide a versatile running attack with a lot of options

3. Bell, Turner, and Enunwa have been reliable and Kinnie has stepped up as of late. As long as Taylor can make some decent throws and if Beck gives him screens and short passes to get in a rhythm, we might be able to expose their secondary

4. Defense has yet to step up and make plays against a top caliber offense this year. I'm hoping we can finally put a full defensive game plan together and play together as a unit for once this year.

Reasons We Lose

1. Bo's track record in big games is against him.

2. Ohio State's defense held our rushing offense in check and Sparty's d-line is stiffer than the Buckeyes'

3. Michigan State is riding a huge wave of momentum

4. Our defense can't get pressure on anyone and versatility is Cousins' biggest weakness. If he has time to throw, he will pick us apart with our inexperience in the secondary.

I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I just don't see us winning this one. The 11:00 kickoff is an advantage for us because it seems that upsets tend to happen earlier in the day rather than in primetime. Even if we don't win, I won't be disappointed. I just want us to play hard. If we lose, I want it to be because Sparty outplays us and not because we shoot ourselves in the foot like we've done so many times under the Pelini Regime.

If i had to pick a final score, it'd be...

NEB - 20

MSU - 33

GBR!