What i learned today about Husker football and its fans.

I have learned that sometimes some of you just make me sick. Honest to god want to hang up my jersey and never watch a friggin game sick. You spoiled rotten, hand fed mother f'ers. Living in iowa i would hear all the crap from hawkeye fans about cornhuskers. I would never believe it if i didnt see it with my own eyes and today takes the cake. Few coaches in the HISTORY of college football can ever do what Osborne did. Few teams would kill to have even a shot at a NC game vs the 5 trophys in our case. Is Bo the next Osborne, probally not but who the hell ever will be. How many Osbornes, or Sabans, or Miles will there ever be in college football. This is not a sunshine pump thread, this isnt a fire Bo thread, this isnt a we need more talent thread. This is a shut the f#*k up thread.

This is a we had a great run a while ago and we may never have that again thread. This is a we may never have an 90s run again but we will get to the NC game again thread with this coach. This is a wake up because things have happened to this school have rarely happened in the HISTORY of football and may not ever happen again thread. No one wants to coach at a school where the fans dictate and pull apart so much of what a team says and does. He is a good coach with a lights out D state of mind. Its not there every year, its just not it cant be. To many players want playing time so instead of riding 2nd or 3rd string on the bench at Nebraska they will go to Purdue to be on the 1st team so they can get some playing time and god forbid, move to the next level. What is it going to take, what needs to be proved, what more can a fanbase ask out of a bunch of young adults who have more on there plate then most of us do. Bo can coach his heart out, but that doesnt mean Ben Cotton isnt thinking about a test he has coming up that can make or break his GPA. Or Taylor Martinez isnt thinking about taking out his girl to a special dinner after her team won another game.

This sport, this college sport, it isnt there job. Its not the NFL though we would like to treat it like that. There job is to perform but hey even if they dont win they still get a sh#t load of money. All these teams have to play for is pride. Most will never see the next level, or the big contract. Some will be insurance salesmen or bank managers. And occasionally they will recount of the glory days when they had a tough game between Georgia but they pulled it out of the trenches and how amazing it was just to be there. But you sit there behind your glass box and be critical of every little thing they do. Who are you to judge someones life or how they perform. How would any of you feel if there were thousands of people watching you perform at work, or judging how you build your deck. No one likes to be put under the microscope and be picked and prodded on everything they do or dont do. I want you to think about this nebraska fans, we have been victims of our own need for perfection before. I would hate to see that happen again.

• Fire 9

I have learned that sometimes some of you just make me sick. Honest to god want to hang up my jersey and never watch a friggin game sick. You spoiled rotten, hand fed mother f'ers. Living in iowa i would hear all the crap from hawkeye fans about cornhuskers. I would never believe it if i didnt see it with my own eyes and today takes the cake. Few coaches in the HISTORY of college football can ever do what Osborne did. Few teams would kill to have even a shot at a NC game vs the 5 trophys in our case. Is Bo the next Osborne, probally not but who the hell ever will be. How many Osbornes, or Sabans, or Miles will there ever be in college football. This is not a sunshine pump thread, this isnt a fire Bo thread, this isnt a we need more talent thread. This is a shut the f#*k up thread.

This is a we had a great run a while ago and we may never have that again thread. This is a we may never have an 90s run again but we will get to the NC game again thread with this coach. This is a wake up because things have happened to this school have rarely happened in the HISTORY of football and may not ever happen again thread. No one wants to coach at a school where the fans dictate and pull apart so much of what a team says and does. He is a good coach with a lights out D state of mind. Its not there every year, its just not it cant be. To many players want playing time so instead of riding 2nd or 3rd string on the bench at Nebraska they will go to Purdue to be on the 1st team so they can get some playing time and god forbid, move to the next level. What is it going to take, what needs to be proved, what more can a fanbase ask out of a bunch of young adults who have more on there plate then most of us do. Bo can coach his heart out, but that doesnt mean Ben Cotton isnt thinking about a test he has coming up that can make or break his GPA. Or Taylor Martinez isnt thinking about taking out his girl to a special dinner after her team won another game.

This sport, this college sport, it isnt there job. Its not the NFL though we would like to treat it like that. There job is to perform but hey even if they dont win they still get a sh#t load of money. All these teams have to play for is pride. Most will never see the next level, or the big contract. Some will be insurance salesmen or bank managers. And occasionally they will recount of the glory days when they had a tough game between Georgia but they pulled it out of the trenches and how amazing it was just to be there. But you sit there behind your glass box and be critical of every little thing they do. Who are you to judge someones life or how they perform. How would any of you feel if there were thousands of people watching you perform at work, or judging how you build your deck. No one likes to be put under the microscope and be picked and prodded on everything they do or dont do. I want you to think about this nebraska fans, we have been victims of our own need for perfection before. I would hate to see that happen again.

Yep.

I'm not sure fans today are much different than fans in the Osborne Era. The difference being we now have social media to vent our frustrations. All the frustrations being expressed today are what was being said in coffee shops and cafes in the state 30 years ago. Instead of Joe and Harold hearing us around the table at the Mom and Pop Cafe we can now have dozens or even thousands read what we have to say. All to often it is the ones who wear their emotions on their sleeve or get their sense of self worth through the game day exploits of 20 year old football players. They make statements they are feeling (rational or not) minutes after the game. Try not to comdemn the whole of Husker Nation over the actions of 10 or 15 posters who may or may not have had a bit too much to drink. The sun will come up today...just an hour later!

This is an excellent point. Good God I live in Kansas and have to listen to all these f'ing Kstate fans who think there program is as good as ours. Let me tell you this I would go through 10 Callahan seasons before I would ever cheer for them purple pricks. We still have it pretty damn good here and for those of you who can't tolorate 2-3 loses a year you need to get over yourself.

• Fire 1

The people you are talking about are a small portion of the fan base... They are the type of people who post and go on and on about how no one cheers loud enough, no one stands ong enough, or gets "crazy" enough in the stadium, and call for people to be fired, etc... Soon we will have the "your not a true fan because" thread.... Bo is doing fine... Everyone said we were a 9 and 3 team at the start of the year... Guess what, one more to go...

For someone that is basically trying to tell people to get over themselves...you sure seem to be into yourself. You take yourself a lot more seriously than any NU fans take the Huskers. LOL. Mel Gibson would be proud of that rant though.

• Fire 5

this board, this free to everyone board, it is not our job. it is not rivals though we would like to treat it like that. our job is to perform, but hey, even if we don't make an agreeable point, we still get a load of shoot. all these poster have to post is for pride. most will never see the next level, start a blog, or get published. some will leave, some will become mods. and occasionally they will recount the glory days when their post got more than four '+1's' because they had a moment of inspiration on the can and how amazing it was just to get recognized. but you sit there behind your glass box and be critical of every little thought they post. who are you to judge someones life or how they post? how would you feel if there was one dude criticizing your posts, or judging your grammar? no poster likes to be put under the microscope and be picked and prodded on everything they do or don't post. i want you to think about this, huskerboard members, we have been victims of our own need for agreeable posts. i would hate to see that happen again.

• Fire 3

tl;dr

You're one of the posters it would apply to.

Mediocrity? We've been inches and seconds from winning a conference championship the last 2 seasons...

We are 1 second and one second half field goal away from 2 BCS berths.

I wouldn't say we are mediocre. Far from it.

my other thoughts. no one expects to see bo replicate to. all we want to see is bo progress and stop allowing this letdown games. this is NU's fifth straight season of losing a home game to an unranked opponent. we have such potential, we just want to see it actualized, or at least get closer to it. but the whole premise of the op's post about players and their distractions is just bizarre. to's teams had distractions, 'bama and lsu players have distractions. this is about motivation and the coaches not allowing their team to get outcoached or outplayed. we get angry because we love this team. think about that. we all have real problems, but we love this team and want them to do well. what a novel explanation for why people act irrationally. that which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil.

I'm not sure fans today are much different than fans in the Osborne Era. The difference being we now have social media to vent our frustrations. All the frustrations being expressed today are what was being said in coffee shops and cafes in the state 30 years ago. Instead of Joe and Harold hearing us around the table at the Mom and Pop Cafe we can now have dozens or even thousands read what we have to say. All to often it is the ones who wear their emotions on their sleeve or get their sense of self worth through the game day exploits of 20 year old football players. They make statements they are feeling (rational or not) minutes after the game. Try not to comdemn the whole of Husker Nation over the actions of 10 or 15 posters who may or may not have had a bit too much to drink. The sun will come up today...just an hour later!

Big difference is that one had to bitch to someone, to their face, in person for all present to know who said what. Now people just give themselves a new handle and shoot off at the mouth with no consequences. Everyone knows someone and everything. In the past people already knew if someone was a moron before they opened their mouth and said TO needed to be fired. Today they hide behind a screen name.

• Fire 1

Big difference is that one had to bitch to someone, to their face, in person for all present to know who said what. Now people just give themselves a new handle and shoot off at the mouth with no consequences. Everyone knows someone and everything. In the past people already knew if someone was a moron before they opened their mouth and said TO needed to be fired. Today they hide behind a screen name.

nothing has changed. people's thoughts and overreactions are nothing new, just more readily available.