Can we ever stop a Mobile QB, Bo? Carl?

I am seriously questioning the D. The pelini's have never been able to shut down a semi-mobile qb, for example: Tyrod Taylor, Fresno states QB, and Russell Wilson to name a few.

Look how Texas beat us last year, aside from our miscues they beat us by making their qb roll out to get 5-8 yards a play. They let these teams get in manageable 2nd and 3rd downs...

What do you guys think?

I guess I would put it this way, all teams have trouble stopping mobile QBs from doing damage (even when they don't put up great numbers per se, such as Locker last year in the bowl game or Tyrod Taylor). It is just that teams usually have a lot more trouble stopping an elite pocket passer. The types that Bo's defenses shut down with regularity.

From what I remember we did a pretty good job of stopping Tyrod Taylor. Of course alot had to do with our awesome secondary and our D-Line getting pressure up front.

Colter only real damage was on the 80 yard pass. Yes, he did catch the ball and ran it some, but considering he played most of the game those numbers really werent earth shattering. What the most dishearting thing was watching them run the ball right up the gut against our front 4 at 5 or 6 yards a crack.

I think that is mostly what has happened with the scholarship limits. Only the teams with large numbers of 4 and 5* recruits near them are getting a team well stocked from year to year on both sides of the ball. The top SEC schools, USC (till they were nailed by the NCAA), Texas, Oklahoma. Boise State is the only aberration in that statement as they have a team full of 2 and 3* guys. They have a system that works for them and a great coach who puts them in the best position to win.

Sorry I digress from the OP. Few teams do a good job of stopping a talented running Qb with a good enough arm to be a serious threat throwing the ball. Yesterday I saw the #2 Qb from NW consistently make 5 to 15 yards on our D. They spread out 4 receivers forcing our D to cover outside. Giving him that much room to operate was a killer.

I wish I knew a little more about defense to understand what he is trying to do. I know some 19 year old in a dorm room will give his analysis, but that really isn't what I'm looking for.

There is clearly a huge open mass of green in the middle of 'D' and it has always been a part of Pelini's 'D'. The difference now is that there is no Hagg, Gomes, Asante or even O'Hanlon to cover that much field and make the play. Wait until there is no LaVonte David (oh no!).

He appears to be content with dropping 8 into coverage which has worked in the past, but only when you force the QB to make a decision quickly. It literally looks like backyard football sometimes when the QB stands in the pocket and doesn't move for 6-8 seconds and then takes off for 15 yards. This is one reason why I can't stand people bashing our DB's.......Someone is going to open no matter how good you are (Prince and Blackmon 2010). On running plays, the opposing running back is always falling forward for another 3-5 yards. There is rarely a push up front.

I am seriously questioning the D. The pelini's have never been able to shut down a semi-mobile qb, for example: Tyrod Taylor, Fresno states QB, and Russell Wilson to name a few.

Look how Texas beat us last year, aside from our miscues they beat us by making their qb roll out to get 5-8 yards a play. They let these teams get in manageable 2nd and 3rd downs...

What do you guys think?

No, I don't see us ever stopping a running a QB. We just have to hope they get tired of running wind sprints down the field and throw up enough interceptions.

What do you guys think?

Mobile QB's = bad news. Recent memories, tOSU vs. NU.........Braxton and Bauserman, night and day.

BTW, Griffith III ever faced Bo's D a couple of years ago? If I remember right, Griffith was injured.