I still believe Taylor should be benched. He is NOT going to lead us to a Championship. I would much rather see us go with someone who we think at least gives us a CHANCE at a Championship. This is my same feeling towards Bo. If he doesn't give us a CHANCE at a Championship (which IMO, he doesn't) then we should go in a different direction and find someone who we think does.

¿Qué?

Ok, I'm not going to bite your head off like I do everybody else who says this. But please, help me out here.

Your opinion is that Martinez could not deliver a championship. Fine. I don't know why it's become standard to judge an entire kid's career in year two of four, but each to his own. What do you suggest they do about it? Carnes? Not reasonable. Putting Carnes in guarantees this offense takes a step back, and that is not debatable. We'd be bringing in a redshirt freshman with almost no significant playing time. He'd be far more inconsistent than Martinez. Furthermore, we have no idea what kind of player Carnes is yet. Seems like a giant gamble to suggest starting Carnes.

Kellogg? He's one of the last holdovers from the Callahan era, and probably can't run this offense to the same degree as the mobile guys Martinez and Carnes. He's not even really a viable option.

Outside of those two, we have nobody. Martinez is our guy this year, he'll probably be our guy next year and the year after that. It shouldn't matter who is the quarterback as long as they're performing well. Martinez has been doing that the last several games, which means he deserves everybody's support.

not to mention, what qb in the nation right now could lead us to a national championship? our defense is much more flawed than offense. tmart is not holding this team back. and if the standard is 'only players who can lead us to a mnc can play', we would only have maybe three players.

• Fire 1

I still believe Taylor should be benched. He is NOT going to lead us to a Championship. I would much rather see us go with someone who we think at least gives us a CHANCE at a Championship. This is my same feeling towards Bo. If he doesn't give us a CHANCE at a Championship (which IMO, he doesn't) then we should go in a different direction and find someone who we think does.

The QB that played against NW is capable of winning a championship.

I disagree. Taylor Martinez is one of the dumbest people I have ever seen in my life. He does not have the smarts to play qb at a high level, at least not proficiently. Taylor Martinez is also extremely selfish and cocky. He thinks he is so much better than everyone else when he really isn't. This translates into his ability to change and get better. Case in point, his throwing motion. Anybody with half a brain would realize that they need to change how they throw the ball, at the very least, work on their footwork. He has shown that he doesn't care if his motion is bad. The amount of selfishness he displays is beyond comprehension. The best example came against Northwestern this weekend. On one play Martinez had a run of roughly 15 yards. The very next play was a zone read play. There was a hole big enough to drive a car through and Rex would have ran for days. Instead of handing it off like he should have, Martinez pulls the ball and the play results in roughly a 5 yard loss. I believe we ended up punting on the drive.

I don't get what people see in Martinez. He had a good game throwing the ball. 1 good game. The problem with Martinez is that he CAN NOT be consistent in the passing game, EVERYONE KNOWS THIS. On the running game he makes terrible reads all the time or is just selfish and keeps the ball. He also can't make anyone miss if his life depended on it. He is a straight line runner.

Martinez might have a good passing game every now and then or break a big run every now and then but he can't be consistent enough to lead us to a Championship.

I find it hard to believe that our results would be much different if we played ANY other qb on our roster.

I guess we should fire Bo for starting the worst QB on the face of the Earth over our championship winning back-up QB...

I think you're right

Nobody said our back up was a championship winning qb. However, I think any one of our backups gives us the same, if not a better chance than TM.

why are you telling us this? you should be lobbying TO, he would probably offer you a job, given all of your insights and irrefutable, fact-based facts.

I'm not sure where I ever said this was fact. These are just my observations and feelings. I gave you a specific play in the game which backs up TM's selfishness. I have seen multiple examples in almost every game since he started playing. I'm not about to go dig up examples to prove someone differently on a freakin message board. My feelings about his intelligence is based on the nonsense that spews out of Martinez's mouth every time he opens it to speak. Everyone knows he is an inconsistent passer.

I'm not sure what I wrote is all that bad or wrong...the truth hurts.

If you have a preconceived notion you are going have bias and it will shape your perception of plays. TM could call his own number considerably more than he does. As far as his intelligence goes the kid is running the system and and making good reads. That is way more important than his public-speaking skills. Just quit.

HuskerBCS, assuming that you're not trolling (which I have a very hard time doing): what in the hell gives you the idea that Carnes and/or Kellogg would do better at QB than Martinez is doing? Do you have some footage from some alternate universe in which one of those guys is actually starting that proves it? How is it even remotely logical to assume that either a guy that has taken 5 or 6 snaps in garbage time or a guy who hasn't even seen the field would play better than the guy who's starting?

I'll be honest, I made a post in the NU-Wisconsin in-game thread stating that Taylor would never help Nebraska win a big game. That was after he threw his third interception. Since then, I'll admit that I've seen genuine improvement from him. He's making much better decisions now and is taking better care of the football. I'm not going to start proclaiming TAYLOR 4 HEISMAN everywhere I go now, but I'm sure as hell not going to call for him to be benched in favor of some guy who's totally unproven just because that guy just happens to not be Taylor Martinez. That is, to put it bluntly, idiotic.

Maybe Taylor is improving but you wouldn't know it by how much confidence his coaches have in him - because if they do have confidence in him then Beck & Co. have to be the dumbest coordinators out there for not realizing that they needed to pass more in the first 1/2 to get NW off the LOS! Then in the 2nd 1/2 they still keep running that same ZR short side option for the first 2 possessions! How stupid is that? How long does it take you to figure out that the run game just isn't working.

Oh wait - but I thought they had all this confidence in TM's arm :confucius

I'll be consistent, I still think we have a better shot with Brion Carnes at QB. A few of my friends and I were discussing T-Mart today. We all agreed that he is not meant to be a QB and would make a great WR. Agreed he has gotten better in his decision making, but he still has a ways to go. We also all agreed that if he were starting for an SEC school he would have been benched a while back.

This isn't hate, this is the truth.

Salutations

Taylor has been making huge strides this season. He had a rocky start, though--best not forget that. The improved part of his game that has me excited is the consistency of his decision making. He's not doing very many stupid things that generate negative plays. He's making smart, safe calls instead of going for the home run. When the play isn't there, he doesn't force it to be there. For the most part Beck has done a solid job in limiting his exposure.

The option game is simply a disaster and not entirely his fault. It looks horrid from the line all the way back when it's run, especially that short side crap. That part of his game just isn't ready for primetime because it's not being executed or blocked. Maybe that will change, maybe not. He does have game breaking speed, so I hope to see him continue to get a few opportunities to use his feet.

He barely has a line to block an iso or trap or god forbid a pitch to the outside, let alone a line that can block for an option play.

I still cring when he starts throwing those air balloons......yikes! However, he's not progressing backwards so that's the main thing. The fact that he's managing the game better makes the future look brighter. About not starting for an SEC school, not sure how many QBs we have let alone players would be benched in that league.

The QB that played against NW is capable of winning a championship.

I disagree. Taylor Martinez is one of the dumbest people I have ever seen in my life. He does not have the smarts to play qb at a high level, at least not proficiently. Taylor Martinez is also extremely selfish and cocky. He thinks he is so much better than everyone else when he really isn't. This translates into his ability to change and get better. Case in point, his throwing motion. Anybody with half a brain would realize that they need to change how they throw the ball, at the very least, work on their footwork. He has shown that he doesn't care if his motion is bad. The amount of selfishness he displays is beyond comprehension. The best example came against Northwestern this weekend. On one play Martinez had a run of roughly 15 yards. The very next play was a zone read play. There was a hole big enough to drive a car through and Rex would have ran for days. Instead of handing it off like he should have, Martinez pulls the ball and the play results in roughly a 5 yard loss. I believe we ended up punting on the drive.

I don't get what people see in Martinez. He had a good game throwing the ball. 1 good game. The problem with Martinez is that he CAN NOT be consistent in the passing game, EVERYONE KNOWS THIS. On the running game he makes terrible reads all the time or is just selfish and keeps the ball. He also can't make anyone miss if his life depended on it. He is a straight line runner.

Martinez might have a good passing game every now and then or break a big run every now and then but he can't be consistent enough to lead us to a Championship.

I find it hard to believe that our results would be much different if we played ANY other qb on our roster.

Yes he's so selfish that against MSU he had what 150 total yards made a very late pitch on an option play so Burkhead could get an important 3rd down conversion oh and Sat. he ran through a tackle to get inside the 5 yard line. I agree early in the year and last year he was arrogant but this year he has grown into a team player and improves every week.

I'm still a fan, and he is still a threat to run that teams have to plan for. I spend a great deal of time in Denver so I am aware of an SEC QB with very poor throwing technique who was now benched. If Martinez had SEC receivers helping him his stats would be better.

Tebow was a great leader and diligent runner, but he greatly greatly benefited from an OC that played to his strengths, and at least 3 first round draft picks around him (the Pouncey brothers and P. Harvin). We don't have that level of talent in coaching or personnel, but I don't think we are far off at receiver. Turner, Bell, Enunwa all look great. The problem is whether Martinez can consistently make the throws to allow our WRs to shine.<--I doubt he ever will, and will handcuff this team on what plays we will be able to run (in this offense).

Add- he is better in his decision-making, but is still not consistently progressing through his reads and always stares down his receiver.

I'll be consistent, I still think we have a better shot with Brion Carnes at QB. A few of my friends and I were discussing T-Mart today. We all agreed that he is not meant to be a QB and would make a great WR. Agreed he has gotten better in his decision making, but he still has a ways to go. We also all agreed that if he were starting for an SEC school he would have been benched a while back.

Salutations

Would Carnes be starting at an SEC school right now?

Salutations

"Truth"???

BS. It's just your naive, simple-minded opinion.

Salutations

That's not truth, it's opinion. Truth is an undeniable fact.

Now, I don't believe that Carnes will be a bad quarterback, but I offer up two points of discussion for you and other members of the board. First, how do you substantiate that we have a better shot with Carnes? What is your evidence, gut-feelings aside? The only evidence available on Carnes right now is a good spring game showing, but it was nonetheless a spring game. A glorified practice, if you will, against balanced teams with good and not so good players. A spring game is useful for measuring player talent to a certain extent, but if I had to assign a letter grade to how important a spring game is for judging talent...it'd be a mid to low C.

My second discussion point is I'm of the opinion that putting Carnes in will set this offense back, and my reasoning is that he has next to no actual game experience and has not been with the program as long as Martinez. Could Carnes be better? The chances are immensely minute, and frankly not worth the trouble. If we start Carnes, he struggles, and we play quarterback flip-flop the rest of the year, we'll destroy both of their confidence levels to an extent I would think.

Then again, all of this overshadowed by the fact that since the Wisconsin game Martinez has been pretty solid.