Where has Green, Heard, and Turner gone?

Ziebol

Well, Turner knows what the issue is. And I agree with the coaches on this. Why play guys that want handed a job?

"Honestly, I think like I folded when I saw him step up," Turner said. "He showed me how much he really wanted it. I kind of folded and sat down and let him have it. I never really had to compete for a position. I've always just been given it because I'm athletic."

"He shows me the film, and I'm not running even close to the speed I know I can," Turner said. "It looked like I was jogging. It kind of opened my eyes and showed me that, hey, I have to work a little harder."

LINK

This seems to be an issue for Bo since he has been here. We really have yet to see any real depth at any position on any side of the ball. Look at the start of this year, no experienced QB, WR or RB, not to mention the line or LB's. Even this year, it seems we really have some stars in the making with the triplets, JT, Choi, Cooper etc...., but they have seen limited at best time in games. Bo has constantly talked about he who practices best plays, BUT when he makes comments about guys blowing assignments in games when does he need to start the guys who can play in games vs those who can't.

• Fire 1

This seems to be an issue for Bo since he has been here. We really have yet to see any real depth at any position on any side of the ball. Look at the start of this year, no experienced QB, WR or RB, not to mention the line or LB's. Even this year, it seems we really have some stars in the making with the triplets, JT, Choi, Cooper etc...., but they have seen limited at best time in games. Bo has constantly talked about he who practices best plays, BUT when he makes comments about guys blowing assignments in games when does he need to start the guys who can play in games vs those who can't.

i guess he is playing those who practice best and make the least mistakes in a game......yeah, this is f-ed up and not sure if it could be worse, but that is what he is saying when the same bums keep blowing coverages.......this IS as good as it gets....... :rolleyes:

Well, Turner knows what the issue is. And I agree with the coaches on this. Why play guys that want handed a job?

"Honestly, I think like I folded when I saw him step up," Turner said. "He showed me how much he really wanted it. I kind of folded and sat down and let him have it. I never really had to compete for a position. I've always just been given it because I'm athletic."

"He shows me the film, and I'm not running even close to the speed I know I can," Turner said. "It looked like I was jogging. It kind of opened my eyes and showed me that, hey, I have to work a little harder."

LINK

WTF? is this the new brand of football player? like the punks who attend OWS, they want free tuition, free this, free that and a top notch job.......what the hell ever happened with the work ethic of this generation? unreal...............

LINK

WTF? is this the new brand of football player? like the punks who attend OWS, they want free tuition, free this, free that and a top notch job.......what the hell ever happened with the work ethic of this generation? unreal...............

Let's look at a couple of examples. Chris Sims comes into Texas and does little more than completely choke in big games all the while dethroning a QB that does little more than thrive in big games because he's Phil Sims son and because Phil Sims donated a million bucks to the University of Texas. Adam James goes to Texas Tech. Instead of getting his way, he sees little playing time. He throws a complete temper tantrum and gets the coach fired. I'm not putting Turner in this category at all, but yes I do believe this is the trend of college football players. The better players have this attitude that they're doing a college a favor by signing with them and deserve preferential treatment. This is why I wish the NFL would take the rule out not allowing athletes to jump from high school to the NFL. I believe the beatdown they'd take would eventually change this trend.

LINK

I find the analogy between Occupy Wall Street and star athletes a little off. OWS "punks" are looking for reform, star athletes expect to be in the front row. You obviously don't have kids that are or were in athletic competition or you would have known how it works. Coaches play favorites, always have always will. My fondest memory of this type a behavior came during a high school football game where as I was walking by a position coach, he grabbed his player an stated "I can't keep protecting you if you don't make the plays". The kid continued to play and miss tackles, as 2 capable replacements stood on the sidelines. This type of behavior breeds entitlement, simply as that. Don't blame the kid, its how they were raised, they don't know any different. Blame the coaches, they should know better. At least Turner seems to be owning his.

Back on topic:

The main issue I think that we see with the fab3 RB's not getting reps is size. They're not big enough to run betw. the tackles esp. in the big10 and consequently the offense is limited.

Bottom line - we should be recruiting bigger backs. And anyone who comes up with arguments about Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Duce McAllister, etc. - think again. Those guys were thick with a low center of gravity. The fab3 are slight of build and don't have the mass to play betw. the tackles in the b1g at this time. Hence - every time Green comes in he's running that short side option or outside zone.

There's a reason why tu went after Malcolm Brown and Bergeron (both 6'1" and 210+lbs) and didn't go after Rex Burkhead or Green (both under 190 ).

Back on topic:

The main issue I think that we see with the fab3 RB's not getting reps is size. They're not big enough to run betw. the tackles esp. in the big10 and consequently the offense is limited.

Bottom line - we should be recruiting bigger backs. And anyone comes up with arguments about Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Duce McAllister, etc. - think again. Those guys were thick with a low center of gravity. The fab3 are slight of build and don't have the mass to play betw. the tackles in the b1g at this time. Hence - every time Green comes in he's running that short side option or outside zone.

There's a reason why tu went after Malcolm Brown and Bergeron (both 6'1" and 210+lbs) and didn't go after Rex Burkhead or Green (both under 190 ).

Agree, but TX needed help now. They didn't have time to develop players at that position. Heard should be a beast with 1 more year of weight training, I see him at 220 easy. I also think Bo thought Marrow would be cleared and he would have another big man back there, that was unfortunate.

Back on topic:

Bottom line - we should be recruiting bigger backs. And anyone comes up with arguments about Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Duce McAllister, etc. - think again. Those guys were thick with a low center of gravity. The fab3 are slight of build and don't have the mass to play betw. the tackles in the b1g at this time. Hence - every time Green comes in he's running that short side option or outside zone.

Agree, but TX needed help now. They didn't have time to develop players at that position. Heard should be a beast with 1 more year of weight training, I see him at 220 easy. I also think Bo thought Marrow would be cleared and he would have another big man back there, that was unfortunate.

Speaking of Marrow and FB's, Legate's play has been about the worst I've seen out of a NU FB in a long time (minus Cally's years of course where we didn't even have a FB position).

CJ Zimmerer was supposed to be good but now looks like another bust. WTF?

The more I think about it the more it becomes apparent that we just don't have the size to play consistently well in the B1G. We saw how OSU was shredding the DL..... I'm now scared about what a putrid PSU might do running betw. the tackles. :facepalm:

We *did* have a fullback position during the Callahan years, didn't we? The thing was just that they were used mostly as blockers - and rarely as pass-catchers - and almost never as ballcarriers.

With the West Coast offense, I think the starting FB was actually on the field quite a bit - just didn't get much glory. Right? I mean, it is not like we were out there in 3-WR sets all the time.

We *did* have a fullback position during the Callahan years, didn't we? The thing was just that they were used mostly as blockers - and rarely as pass-catchers - and almost never as ballcarriers.

With the West Coast offense, I think the starting FB was actually on the field quite a bit - just didn't get much glory. Right? I mean, it is not like we were out there in 3-WR sets all the time.

The only one I honestly remember is Dane Todd.