More Ridiculousness on the O-Line

It appears to me it goes back to recruiting, who we recruit, why they were recruited, their attitude and self discipline.

It used to be the greatest honor to get a offer from Nebraska, because of our historical work effort, developling great players from walk ons and the like. Maybe we need more walkons to develop the killer attitude again, but something is wrong with this team/program as this is a recurring situation every year.

There is no excuse for not being ready and excited to play at Nebraska. If they are taking games off, how often do the they take practices off, do they really see the films if not required to be in a certain area at a certain time. Maybe we are to new wave and need more discipline to get the idea accross.

It just does not make sense, I know Bo is very motivated, maybe overly motivated at times, you would think the team would develop his personality, his fire, his aggressiveness. Or is it he is too aggressive and they no longer fear the consequences as they have seen them far too often. I have no idea, but I do believe we have serious problems with this team and staff.

They took a game off.

Which means they took a bunch of practices off.

Makes me sick really.

No wonder every time I hear Jason Peter talk he's fuming about what goes on over there. You'd think Callahan & Cosgrove were still in the house. All the stuff JP talks about are effort related - not so much talent related. He KNOWS it when he sees it and I've never heard him even once say anything that he's happy about. For instance, the handing out of 22 BlackShirts. TWENTY TWO??!! Really? Fisher gets one? SJB gets one? Courtney Osborne gets one?

This is a joke.

BlackShirts is a time honored tradition that went to the 11 starters, not to guys who made courtesy appearances :steam .

Where did you come from? Do you even know the history of the black shirts or base any of your statements in facts? Most years we've given out more than 11 blackshirts. During the 80's and 90's we gave out around 14 to defensive contributors but in years prior to that there were more. Yes. . .this year was a high number but we also run multiple defensive fronts that have different players. McBride had two sets usually with many of the same players because of the schemes.

It appears to me it goes back to recruiting, who we recruit, why they were recruited, their attitude and self discipline.

It used to be the greatest honor to get a offer from Nebraska, because of our historical work effort, developling great players from walk ons and the like. Maybe we need more walkons to develop the killer attitude again, but something is wrong with this team/program as this is a recurring situation every year.

There is no excuse for not being ready and excited to play at Nebraska. If they are taking games off, how often do the they take practices off, do they really see the films if not required to be in a certain area at a certain time. Maybe we are to new wave and need more discipline to get the idea accross.

It just does not make sense, I know Bo is very motivated, maybe overly motivated at times, you would think the team would develop his personality, his fire, his aggressiveness. Or is it he is too aggressive and they no longer fear the consequences as they have seen them far too often. I have no idea, but I do believe we have serious problems with this team and staff.

recruiting? lol it doesn't matter who you recruit...Poor coaching will make a 6 star player look like a 2 star.

and the fact that a head coach is intense and motivated doesn't mean he's actually being a good C.E.O of the team, or that he actually knows what he's doing.

Hardrick came out and said that he didn't even watch game film that week. His words were "we didn't take Northwestern seriously".

Wow! Just wow!

Link (I really need it)?

You could tell the team came out flat man.....totally underestimated the damage a NW offense could do....and the NW defense was playing fundamentally sound...esp. in the tackling dept. They tackled well. Hearing this SH%^ kinda pisses me off....you don't take ANY TEAM lightly....

Well apparently some players do, and unfortunately it doesn't matter how bad you think a team is every team has the ability to show up and crack you in the mouth if you don't come to play. It is unfortunate, and I think that although Yoshi is the only one who actually admitted it there were quite a few other players that overlooked NW. I mean this wasn't a loss predicated by one or two people being unprepared this was a total team loss in all phases. NW made us look downright pedestrian. I hope this serves as a lesson for our players.

I am a big supporter of Bo and this loss due to lack of motivation does seem to be a pattern. I saw this really rear it's ugly head in a win versus South Dakota State. If you take away our goal line stand (which looked like a TD) early in the game and the interecption for a TD that was wiped out, we very well could have lost that game to the Jackrabbits. It was the ugliest win since Ball St. It is an issue of our head coaches fire not transfering to the players, or we have the wrong type of players on the team. I don't know what it is, but it needs to be corrected now.

They took a game off.

Makes me sick really.

No wonder every time I hear Jason Peter talk he's fuming about what goes on over there. You'd think Callahan & Cosgrove were still in the house. All the stuff JP talks about are effort related - not so much talent related. He KNOWS it when he sees it and I've never heard him even once say anything that he's happy about. For instance, the handing out of 22 BlackShirts. TWENTY TWO??!! Really? Fisher gets one? SJB gets one? Courtney Osborne gets one?

This is a joke.

BlackShirts is a time honored tradition that went to the 11 starters, not to guys who made courtesy appearances :steam .

Where did you come from? Do you even know the history of the black shirts or base any of your statements in facts? Most years we've given out more than 11 blackshirts. During the 80's and 90's we gave out around 14 to defensive contributors but in years prior to that there were more. Yes. . .this year was a high number but we also run multiple defensive fronts that have different players. McBride had two sets usually with many of the same players because of the schemes.

Your statements are completely invalidated by the fact that Fisher received a blackshirt which to me nullifies any meaning they once had...

Hardrick came out and said that he didn't even watch game film that week. His words were "we didn't take Northwestern seriously".

Wow! Just wow!

Link (I really need it)?

You could tell the team came out flat man.....totally underestimated the damage a NW offense could do....and the NW defense was playing fundamentally sound...esp. in the tackling dept. They tackled well. Hearing this SH%^ kinda pisses me off....you don't take ANY TEAM lightly....

Well apparently some players do, and unfortunately it doesn't matter how bad you think a team is every team has the ability to show up and crack you in the mouth if you don't come to play. It is unfortunate, and I think that although Yoshi is the only one who actually admitted it there were quite a few other players that overlooked NW. I mean this wasn't a loss predicated by one or two people being unprepared this was a total team loss in all phases. NW made us look downright pedestrian. I hope this serves as a lesson for our players.

I am a big supporter of Bo and this loss due to lack of motivation does seem to be a pattern. I saw this really rear it's ugly head in a win versus South Dakota State. If you take away our goal line stand (which looked like a TD) early in the game and the interecption for a TD that was wiped out, we very well could have lost that game to the Jackrabbits. It was the ugliest win since Ball St. It is an issue of our head coaches fire not transfering to the players, or we have the wrong type of players on the team. I don't know what it is, but it needs to be corrected now.

Where I believe Bo has a hard time motivating the team and I mean the team as a whole, Tom had the same issues. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't he bring in outside help in the form of a sports psychologist in the 80's?

The weakest link here is still Barney Cotton, and his inability to develop and energize these linmen. These kids have no idea what the "Pipeline" even is, except for those on other teams who used our philosophies of the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's to build them. How can forty years of history go unnoticed ?

They took a game off.

Makes me sick really.

This is a joke.

Your statements are completely invalidated by the fact that Fisher received a blackshirt which to me nullifies any meaning they once had...

I agree. Often there are guys I don't think should have them that do. But he seemed to take exception in the fact that more than 11 were given. Personally. . .there have probably been years where only 8 or 9 guys played at a high level. I guess the real argument is what is determines who's a black shirt? If its simply a starter then it makes sense that we'll have more than 11 guys depending on what defense we are running. If its guys who play at a high level then maybe most years only 8-10 people get them. And there might be a guy that starts every game and doesn't get one. I think that is dangerous because who's eyes does that player have to live up to? This year all but maybe 1 1/2 to 2 games I'd say 55 has played average in my opinion but if you talk to the coaches (and I do) they'd say different and point out things my stupid untrained as$ can't and don't see. And I don't know what's being asked of them each week in their assignments.

The weakest link here is still Barney Cotton, and his inability to develop and energize these linmen. These kids have no idea what the "Pipeline" even is, except for those on other teams who used our philosophies of the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's to build them. How can forty years of history go unnoticed ?

I think Cotton is long over due to move on....but some of todays problem also has to do with changes in society. A guy like Jim Scott from the early 90's was raised with a different set of work ethics than say a Yoshi. Parents give kids more than they used to without earning it. People in general expect things to be given to them rather than have to work for it. Look at the 99%.

Not playing the best player has been a Pelini problem since day 1

Wouldn't you say, though, that this is a pretty subjective stance with little to no way of proving whether or not it's true?

How can any of us really know who the best player is at that position, and where is the basis for the accusation that Pelini plays favorites? I'm not saying you think he plays favorites, but I've seen other say as much.

I'm not trying to provoke you but can you give some specific examples of where Pelini has not played the best player? No matter what you say, it's going to be tough for me to agree with it simply because we only see a small part of the football puzzle once a week for a few hours, and Pelini has said more than once that practice is the major determinant for playing on Saturdays.

If a guy plays well during the game but doesn't practice well, one could argue that Pelini should still play the player who does best during the game. Personally, I think that if you want to see the field you need to step it up in practice, because (by now) you should know Pelini's expectations if you're a player. The Turner and Marlowe thing is a perfect example. Turner may be a play maker and more athletic than Marolowe, but if he's going to not perform when given opportunities and not do well in practice, why does he deserve to see the field?

Again..... I haven't seen the link to this "[Yoshi] didn't even watch game film that week".

I find that to be grounds for Yoshi's dismissal. If not, then Bo is not the person I think he is.... and all his tough talk is just empty noise.

I'll go for the latter.

Its hard to talk the talk, when you aren't allowed to walk the walk. Bo had his fiery approach doused after the T.AM game. His demeanor and his teams attitude seems to have changed since. Like I have said before, no fire on either side of the ball, no high fives, no helmet slaps, no throw the bones demonstrations, nothing. Take the reins off Bo a little ,and let him coach, the way he was hired to do. JMO

GBR!!!