Penn State Scandal Thread

Eric the Red

th3r0m, if Joe had no knowledge please explain why after an investigation in 1998 Joe was not present at Sandusky's retirement dinner?

Sandusky was forced into retirement because of findings pertaining to that investigation. After sharing the sidelines with someone for 30 years and being a close personal friend don't you think that Joe would want to attend that event? Do you think that maybe Joe had some information regarding Sandusky that he felt repulsed by?

Sandusky was PSU's and Joepa's dirty little secret. By the turning a blind eye and allowing this piece of garbage to still prowl the campus is unspeakably horrible.

It makes little sense for Paterno to apparently have someone removed from his program and avoid him because he is repulsed by his very presence and to then allow them unfettered access to the facilities he basically lives in. And even less sense to then, when handed the ammunition needed to remove permanently from your life in addition to preventing further instances of atrocities against children to be perpetrated by a person who apparently repulses you, to do nothing with it. I think Paterno lacked knowledge of the truth of the situations, but I couldn't say whether it was purposeful or not because I just don't see where it benefits him to keep quiet about this.

So Paterno committed perjury in his grand jury testimony? Got it. How much jail time do you think he is facing?

Not sure where I said or even implied he committed perjury, I said I thought he lacked knowledge, as in not having the full story of the events that had taken place, not that he knew nothing at all.

He testified to the grand jury that he received a report from McQueary in 2002 that activities of a "sexual nature" were witnessed happening between Sandusky and a young boy in the shower. How much more "knowledge" is required?

It does not take "complete" knowledge. I does not take all the graphic details. "Sandusky", "young boy", "shower", activities of a "sexual nature" is all you need.

Are you saying it was not true what he told the grand jury?

swmckewonOWH Samuel McKewon

Mike McQueary will, right now, coach on Saturday. Game time decision on where he is.

And that is absolutely ridiculous. McQueary had every moral obligation to report it to the police and he is JUST AS guilty as Paterno is when it comes to this whole Penn State debacle.

Are they saying he's not liable because he was a graduate assistant at the time?

From the Grand Jury Report, not the media:

"Joseph V. Paterno testified to receiving the graduate assistant's report at his home on a Saturday morning. Paterno testified that the graduate assistant was very upset. Paterno call Tim Curley ("Curley"), Penn State Athletic Director and Paterno's immediate superior, to his home the very next day, a Sunday, and reported to him that the graduate assistant had seen Jerry Sandusky in the Lasch Building showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy."

It's not a defense of Joe Paterno, but it was, I'm sure, the only thing that went through his mind when hearing the allegations:

"this would be terribly damaging to the image of Penn State"

Which is correct. Had Paterno and Penn State dumped Sandusky on the spot in 2002, it would have been a media circus, and we would have been hearing jokes about Ped State for the last nine years.

But the image of Penn State should never be greater than both the law of the land and the safety of a 10 year old boy, and that's why - and it's barely ironic - Penn State's concern about its image has absolutely devasted its image, and it's gonna last a generation or so.

It's not a defense of Joe Paterno, but it was, I'm sure, the only thing that went through his mind when hearing the allegations:

"this would be terribly damaging to the image of Penn State"

Which is correct. Had Paterno and Penn State dumped Sandusky on the spot in 2002, it would have been a media circus, and we would have been hearing jokes about Ped State for the last nine years.

But the image of Penn State should never be greater than both the law of the land and the safety of a 10 year old boy, and that's why - and it's barely ironic - Penn State's concern about its image has absolutely devasted its image, and it's gonna last a generation or so.

...so instead he waited for nine years and the situation is magnified hundreds of times over.

• Fire 2

"Joseph V. Paterno testified to receiving the graduate assistant's report at his home on a Saturday morning. Paterno testified that the graduate assistant was very upset. Paterno call Tim Curley ("Curley"), Penn State Athletic Director and Paterno's immediate superior, to his home the very next day, a Sunday, and reported to him that the graduate assistant had seen Jerry Sandusky in the Lasch Building showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy."

Yep, that's what stood out to me as well in the grand jury report. After reading that, anyone that tries to defend Paterno is a complete joke.

• Fire 2

th3r0m, if Joe had no knowledge please explain why after an investigation in 1998 Joe was not present at Sandusky's retirement dinner?

Sandusky was forced into retirement because of findings pertaining to that investigation. After sharing the sidelines with someone for 30 years and being a close personal friend don't you think that Joe would want to attend that event? Do you think that maybe Joe had some information regarding Sandusky that he felt repulsed by?

Sandusky was PSU's and Joepa's dirty little secret. By the turning a blind eye and allowing this piece of garbage to still prowl the campus is unspeakably horrible.

It makes little sense for Paterno to apparently have someone removed from his program and avoid him because he is repulsed by his very presence and to then allow them unfettered access to the facilities he basically lives in. And even less sense to then, when handed the ammunition needed to remove permanently from your life in addition to preventing further instances of atrocities against children to be perpetrated by a person who apparently repulses you, to do nothing with it. I think Paterno lacked knowledge of the truth of the situations, but I couldn't say whether it was purposeful or not because I just don't see where it benefits him to keep quiet about this.

He did attend it, he showed up, gave a small speech and left.

The article I read said Paterno didn't attend. I guess the truth is out there somewhere.

It's like being embarrassed by a scab, covering it up, and letting it turn into cancer.

Love that line - This is the second one I have seen in this week that I will be adding to my inventory. Bowfin reminded us about a line from Happy Days where Fonzi was talking to his nephew: "You didn't make a mistake! 2+2=3 is a mistake! What you did is wrong!"

Yep, that's what stood out to me as well in the grand jury report. After reading that, anyone that tries to defend Paterno is a complete joke.

That little nugget of testimony is game, set, and match.