How do NU fans travelling to Penn St for game feel about their safety?

I'm trying to use restraint here, and not be a troll, but you're acting like State College has turned into Afghanistan.

Sure, the town is hurt, confused, upset, but 98% of the people understand that this had to be done.

The very small minority of drunken students that acted like idiots last night in no way embodies the school or what is actually happening at PSU.

I have no doubt that you will all be treated with respect and be safe on Saturday.

I've made my point twice now on your board and will stop trolling, but just understand that 100 drunken idiots makes better press than 100,000 who are putting the victims of this tragedy first.

WillisDavis--I don't think you're being a troll. You're being very calm about this, which I'm sure many folks here appreciate.

But let's be honest here--Penn State doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation to begin with, and there are still folks that recall how horribly they were treated before, during, and after the 2002 game. Perhaps it was just a few bad apples, but the reports of these bad apples were consistent throughout the year and from all but a couple of the Big 10 schools.

And so far it's a thousand students with alcohol-fueled righteous indignation; they have all day today and tomorrow to swell those numbers, and there's nothing students love more than to thumb their nose at authority. Give them a cause they believe in to boot, and you're just asking for the feces to hit the bladed rotating air mover.

But when you have journalists at the Big Ten Network calling for the game to be cancelled/postponed/relocated, then you know that **** is serious here. That alone should be enough to give folks more than a pause.

Interesting stuff I just read.........

From Jack Mitchell from Jack & John in the Morning on 1400 KLIN AM in Lincoln, NE.

-Just spoke with Tom Osborne and he told me that right now, the game is on as planned, but he hasn't heard from PSUs AD or Jim Delaney yet.

-My perception is that there's still the possibility this game doesn't happen pending Osborne's contact with PSU and Delany

-Tom Osborne also told me that he's never said this before, but he'd understand if Husker fans chose to wear something other than red at PSU

To make things worse, those idiots down there in Kansas the Westboro Baptist Church will be in attendance at the game on Saturday at Penn State. I can only imagine the signs they will create and what they’ll be shouting at people. The students will have the better part of the day to liquor up; I’m willing to bet someone will get their arse kicked!!

Watch out guys and be careful while at the game.

MOD EDIT - link removed. I know you were just posting it for informational purposes. But such links never belong on HuskerBoard. Thanks. knapplc

Simple, basic prudence dictates that you have SOME kind of concern about fan and team safety in light of this situation. Saying you're concerned isn't throwing Penn State or its fans under the bus, it's just common sense.

To wit, there are discussions going on right now about the game between Tom Osborne, Jim Delaney and Penn State officials. This is a situation which requires due diligence and it's not a slap in the face to PSU/PSU fans that we're doing this.

Jack Mitchell, local radio personality, just got done interviewing Tom Osborne.

Via Twitter:

Just spoke with Tom Osborne and he told me that right now, the game is on as planned, but he hasn't heard from PSUs AD or Jim Delaney yet.

My perception is that there's still the possibility this game doesn't happen pending Osborne's contact with PSU and Delany.

Osborne told us moving the game isn't feasible at this point.

As I left Coach Osborne's office, Bo Pelini went in for a closed door meeting, for what I'd presume is a discussion about playing the game.

Tom Osborne also told me that he's never said this before, but he'd understand if Husker fans chose to wear something other than red at PSU.

I'm trying to use restraint here, and not be a troll, but you're acting like State College has turned into Afghanistan.

Sure, the town is hurt, confused, upset, but 98% of the people understand that this had to be done.

The very small minority of drunken students that acted like idiots last night in no way embodies the school or what is actually happening at PSU.

I have no doubt that you will all be treated with respect and be safe on Saturday.

I've made my point twice now on your board and will stop trolling, but just understand that 100 drunken idiots makes better press than 100,000 who are putting the victims of this tragedy first.

WillisDavis--I don't think you're being a troll. You're being very calm about this, which I'm sure many folks here appreciate.

But let's be honest here--Penn State doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation to begin with, and there are still folks that recall how horribly they were treated before, during, and after the 2002 game. Perhaps it was just a few bad apples, but the reports of these bad apples were consistent throughout the year and from all but a couple of the Big 10 schools.

And so far it's a thousand students with alcohol-fueled righteous indignation; they have all day today and tomorrow to swell those numbers, and there's nothing students love more than to thumb their nose at authority. Give them a cause they believe in to boot, and you're just asking for the feces to hit the bladed rotating air mover.

But when you have journalists at the Big Ten Network calling for the game to be cancelled/postponed/relocated, then you know that **** is serious here. That alone should be enough to give folks more than a pause.

Has there been any official condemnation of of last nights riot by Penn State Officials?

Has there been any official condemnation of of last nights riot by Penn State Officials?

In a word, no.

And we'll probably know something by late tonight or very early tomorrow AM--wouldn't the team be flying out tomorrow AM or noonish to go to Happy Valley?