Why hasn't Mike McQueary been fired yet?

illnino

That said, what happened was a classical case of a "diffusion of responsibility". Regardless of the crime, a diffusion of responsibility occurs as more people become involved. They pass off the responsibility of reporting on the premise that, "certainly somebody else will report this." The best chance of this scandal coming to light faster would have happened if McQueary called the police right away. But that sounds a whole lot easier for us to say than for us to do given we be put in the same situation--it is a self-serving bias; "I would've called the authorities right away." But none of us are certain what we would've done in the same situation. Certainly there is a lot of shock value in seeing one of your idols, a man you respected, committing such a heinous crime. One wouldn't know what to think, or what to do. I mean after all, the guy is/was your longtime friend.

That being said, I once again want to say I am not condoning what Sandusky did or what everyone else didn't do. All I'm trying to do is shed light on the circumstances.

I have tried to understand this situation and wondered what I would do if I was a 22 year old GA just getting started. As unfortunate as this may sound, it doesn't surprise me that he didn't step in.

Then I find out he was 28???????????and he called his dad. Completely unacceptable. Needs to go.

That said, what happened was a classical case of a "diffusion of responsibility". Regardless of the crime, a diffusion of responsibility occurs as more people become involved. They pass off the responsibility of reporting on the premise that, "certainly somebody else will report this." The best chance of this scandal coming to light faster would have happened if McQueary called the police right away. But that sounds a whole lot easier for us to say than for us to do given we be put in the same situation--it is a self-serving bias; "I would've called the authorities right away." But none of us are certain what we would've done in the same situation. Certainly there is a lot of shock value in seeing one of your idols, a man you respected, committing such a heinous crime. One wouldn't know what to think, or what to do. I mean after all, the guy is/was your longtime friend.

That being said, I once again want to say I am not condoning what Sandusky did or what everyone else didn't do. All I'm trying to do is shed light on the circumstances.

I have tried to understand this situation and wondered what I would do if I was a 22 year old GA just getting started. As unfortunate as this may sound, it doesn't surprise me that he didn't step in.

Then I find out he was 28???????????and he called his dad. Completely unacceptable. Needs to go.

Yeah, 28 freaking years old and he lets a fifty-seven year old man anally rape a 10 year old kid, then runs out to call daddy. Didn't this piece of s#!t start at QB for Penn State? Take a look at pictures of him...he is a pretty good size guy...how in the hell he didn't run in and kick the living s#!t out of Sandusky and stop this from happening is beyond any explanation. 2763445.jpeg

Also, the fact that he moves from being a GA to being an administrative assistant, to full time coach within a year of witnessing the rape, is a little....uh......suspicious.

Also, the fact that he moves from being a GA to being an administrative assistant, to full time coach within a year of witnessing the rape, is a little....uh......suspicious.

Yes... like I said in another thread, that's the most damning thing for Paterno. If he trusted him enough to hire him as a coach, he obviously also trusted that he didn't lie about what he saw.

• Fire 1

Maybe McQueary knows a lot more than he has said and PSU doesn't want him to say more? Keep him close, keep him happy, keep him employed and he can help carry the torch on the company line. Piss him off and he may turn against you with what he really knows.

Probably unlikely. He would be hurting himself more than Penn State. He would literally be un-hireable if he didn't tell the truth. Last person i would want to piss off is the police and lawyers who could make his life a living hell if he kept testimony from them. This isn't something you can mess around with.

Maybe McQueary knows a lot more than he has said and PSU doesn't want him to say more? Keep him close, keep him happy, keep him employed and he can help carry the torch on the company line. Piss him off and he may turn against you with what he really knows.

Probably unlikely. He would be hurting himself more than Penn State. He would literally be un-hireable if he didn't tell the truth. Last person i would want to piss off is the police and lawyers who could make his life a living hell if he kept testimony from them. This isn't something you can mess around with.

Maybe, but that's if you take it for the most extreme of interpretations...i.e. he knows where all the bodies are buried and they don't want that leaked. I think more likely is that as of right now, they have all the people on the same page and working for the same thing and they want to keep it that way in general. It's possible that authorities and the school have a common interest in that. You fire one of the main players and he will lawyer-up almost immediately (see Paterno) which would do neither the school nor authorities any good. Maybe they were doing Paterno a favor by letting him out of this whole mess and giving him the luxury of being able to lawyer-up. They're making McQueary stick it out and sort through all of this with them. I know it sounds pretty "conspiracy theory" and normally I'd be the first one to call someone out on that, but this whole thing is one big conspiracy theory.

I think it has to either be this or the whistle blower law thing and they don't want to have that on their hands.

Either way, I think McQueary is already un-hireable for future jobs. Who's going to want their name attached to that guy ever?

Confirmed. McQueary will not be in attendance at the game Saturday due to safety issues when started receiving threats.

This, but don't forget there's another regents meeting this morning with an open public forum portion. The regents have said they are not done looking into this, and that they'll let more people go if necessary.

If they're truly going to clean house to remove any trace of culpability when the criminal and civil suits start to fly, any and all that were remotely tainted by this need to go. McQueary could be on the chopping block, and the 'non-attendance' and 'death threats' could be a simple ruse to keep him away while they determine his fate.

Yeah, 28 freaking years old and he lets a fifty-seven year old man anally rape a 10 year old kid, then runs out to call daddy. Didn't this piece of s#!t start at QB for Penn State? Take a look at pictures of him...he is a pretty good size guy...how in the hell he didn't run in and kick the living s#!t out of Sandusky and stop this from happening is beyond any explanation. 2763445.jpeg

I think you bring up a good question. Is McQueary's rise through the ranks related to his Silence? Paterno definitively told Sandusky he wouldn't get the top spot In May of 98. It seems quite coincidental to me that a guy that is considered a top flight DC and potential heir to Joe Pa as head coach suddenly retires shortly after the initial investigation of the 1998 incident. How did Joe Pa know for sure Sandusky would get the job? Was the job promised to McQueary after Joe Pa retired?

a couple of thursday morning tidbits about all of this

seems like its quieted down a bit--at least in the media--today was the first day that none of the ESPN/sports radio talk shows were not covering wall to wall.

I have a good friend, who is in a major media corporation who insists that there is much, much bigger things to come--would not elaborate past that point--you have to wonder if they are waiting to get past this final home game or if the web is so large, that the authorities are getting a lot of things in place--several people have suggested that this is much much bigger than what we presently know.

Really surprised that I have seen little or no coverage about this on the major networks, just a mention--that is strange.

Here is something that I find strange about the McQuearys testimony of the shower incident--he says he entered the facility and heard strange sounds that sounded "sexual" in nature--dont mean to be graphic here, but if a ten year old boy was being raped by a large man---wouldnt the kid be screaming his lungs out and begging for help? no mention of that--would'nt there be a ton of physical trauma to the boy--I mean hospital level-intensive care--yet later he says he saw JS and the boy walking out of the building together.

Dont really know how to feel about this game--I sure hope the PSU team plays hard and for the pride of the their school and not "win one for JoePa" that would be revolting.

just some thoughts

Here is something that I find strange about the McQuearys testimony of the shower incident--he says he entered the facility and heard strange sounds that sounded "sexual" in nature--dont mean to be graphic here, but if a ten year old boy was being raped by a large man---wouldnt the kid be screaming his lungs out and begging for help? no mention of that--would'nt there be a ton of physical trauma to the boy--I mean hospital level-intensive care--yet later he says he saw JS and the boy walking out of the building together.

well you don't know what that sicko told the kid ...maybe he threatened with more harm in case of screaming. The kid surely is traumatized in some way and probably was back then on that particular day. That doesn't mean he couldn't walk though

well you don't know what that sicko told the kid ...maybe he threatened with more harm in case of screaming. The kid surely is traumatized in some way and probably was back then on that particular day. That doesn't mean he couldn't walk though

Sandusky may have threatened harm to the kid. And in the kid's case, it would benefit him more to keep his mouth shut instead of crying out, as bad as that sounds--it's true.

As to the last bit about McQueary seeing JS and the kid walk out together; just because he saw them walking out doesn't, in a legal sense, mean that JS was raping the kid. While it gives us an impression, correlation doesn't imply causation.

Again, none of what I'm saying is with the intent to condone the actions of PSU, Joe Pa, McQueary, Sandusky, Spanier, etc... All I'm doing is trying to shed my own opinion and perspective on why things are happening the way they are.

As a former worker with abused kids. The sad thing about this is if he heard a rhythmic occurrence. It probably was not Sandusky first time with the kid.

This thread has gotten really graphic, but then again, perhaps we need to be graphic about stories like this to shed light on the truly tragic level of these crimes. So often we hear that someone is charged with "inappropriate conduct with a minor" or simply "sodomy", and we know that terms like that can carry many meanings. When you hear the detail in the Sandusky story of him with the kid bent over in the shower having anal sex, or the story of the janitor who saw sandusky with a boy leaned up against the wall while Sandusky performed oral sex on him. Or the other boy who would visit the Sandusky home and Sandusky would wrestle with him until he had him in a position where they had each others genitals in the others face and Sandusky would then push his penis into the boys mouth, sometimes ejaculating...These are stories that hopefully are SO graphic and SO disgusting that they turn people's stomachs. I know I rasied two sons and I sometimes trusted their safety to camp counselors, and coaches, and if I would have ever found out some sick f##K like Sandusky was doing these things to either of them, I would have wanted to kill him.

If you read the grand jury report, all the boys say they were uncomfortable about the contact and attantion Sandusky was showing them. A couple of them talked about when Sandusky took them to the showers and how they were uncomfortable about him wanting them to shower with him, but Sandusky would coax them and try to make them embarrassed about being too shy. Don't forget these were at-risk youth who were very young and Sandusky was a high profile, powerful person. Also, don't forget that these children were being bought off with gifts and privelages that made them feel special. Any time you hear a story of a child who is a long-term victim of child molestation, you hear about how they felt aweful or wrong about the things that they did, but that they looked up to the person too. And the really sad thing is that the kids often move on from the situation feeling guilty about what they did. The pedophiles are very skilled at making the kids feel like it's their fault or that they in some way were responsible for the molestation. These pedophiles are really sick, sick creatures. They play on the vulnerabilities of these kids. I know that there is a really speacial place in hell reserved for sick F#CKS like Sandusky.

I agree with you California HusKer, perhaps this will be what it take to acknowledge the horror of this abuse. Sometime I feel like because it is young boys it is not deemed as important as young girls. Can you imagine the same situation (as graphic as it is) but with young girls instead. Its remind me of when a female teacher is molesting her H.S or M.S students it almost looked at like a joke. But if a man is molesting girls of the same age group it. People want to kill him. In the last couple of cases there was actually discussion of whether or not the female teachers were to pretty for jail.