Keystone Pipeline

I'm not asking this to be a smart ass or trying to say you're doing something wrong. Just curious.

Why don't you move?

Well see, that's the conflicting part. I'd like to, but it's just not possible right now. Not to mention, ALL my family is here. Me and my wife's both. There are some factors that play into me "putting up" with it. So yeah, that's a good question. Ive also tried to change jobs to one of the few big businesses here, but it just hasnt happened. But it's just hard when you see an owner go from one 40K vehicle to another, and do it twice in a time frame in which you havent seen a raise, and you put in 9 1/2 hours a day on salary, well, it gets you thinking as time goes by.

This was a meaningless rant. I've probably spilles some things and feelings I shouldntve. But carlfense brought up Hastings. To me at the time is was rather random. obviously he's since made light as to why, but I decided to express my feelings.

I fully understand. I am somewhat in a similar situation.

Some times we think we can't move and change our lives but we really can.

I have a friend that all of a sudden they just up and moved to Oregon just because they were tired of living here.

Let's be clear about something.

Similar things happen in larger cities.

When I was in Des Moines, there was one guy who was s real estate developer that literally dictated how the city was developed. Oh, and guess who would own large plots of land that would be annexed into cities.

Annexing land into a city is typically a good thing. In fact Nebraska's extremely progressive annexation laws has prevented Omaha from running into many issues other cities have. And I will argue that there is a colossal difference between building development in a city, and a foreign company running an oil pipeline that will leak sooner or later across land that people do not want to sell.

• Fire 1

When I was in Des Moines, there was one guy who was s real estate developer that literally dictated how the city was developed. Oh, and guess who would own large plots of land that would be annexed into cities.

Annexing land into a city is typically a good thing. In fact Nebraska's extremely progressive annexation laws has prevented Omaha from running into many issues other cities have. And I will argue that there is a colossal difference between building development in a city, and a foreign company running an oil pipeline that will leak sooner or later across land that people do not want to sell.

My comment was only about the discussion of how a few people control life in small towns in Nebraska. Small town Nebraska isn't different in that aspect from other places.

My comment was only about the discussion of how a few people control life in small towns in Nebraska. Small town Nebraska isn't different in that aspect from other places.

I would make no argument there. That's just scale. Though if things are corrupt, its a bigger problem the smaller the town.

I dont know if id call it extreme enough to be corruption. I understand the "looking after number " concept. But its is a microcosm of whats wrong right now with our country. Our economy. Youre not doin yourself any favors by holding down the largest class of the income ladder. They treat growth like its an evil.

See TD Ameritrade and the absolute BS about the need to close Rosenblatt.

Guess whose buddies owned that land north of downtown?

Let's be clear about something.Similar things happen in larger cities.When I was in Des Moines, there was one guy who was s real estate developer that literally dictated how the city was developed. Oh, and guess who would own large plots of land that would be annexed into cities.

See TD Ameritrade and the absolute BS about the need to close Rosenblatt.Guess whose buddies owned that land north of downtown?

Or where the Staples Center and LA Live are located, that game is as old as the hills. Hell, it's the reason the freeways in this country are where they are.

I will also say this.

In a heck of a lot of communities, the wealthy people have the resources to make things happen. Economic development takes money. A community that doesn't have people willing to step up and spend that money won't grow. You look around and see a smaller community that seems to be attracting businesses, most of the time, it's because the local business people have spent their own money to promote that growth.

I am pretty heavily involved in economic development in my community and county. We have a ton of activity from existing business people in our area that work hard and offer their own resources to make that happen. Is some of that for their own benefit? I'm sure some is. But, theirs a heck of a lot of it because they want to see the area grow that they live in.

See TD Ameritrade and the absolute BS about the need to close Rosenblatt.

Guess whose buddies owned that land north of downtown?

The zoo wanted the ballpark land too. There were lots of moving parts to that.

• 2 weeks later...

But it won't leak.... It's perfectly safe....

SALT LAKE CITY — Crews continued Saturday to clean up a spill of about 100 barrels of diesel fuel that leaked out of a Tesoro pipeline in the Rose Park area.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=33313646

The hell you say! And to think, I took these oil companies at their word...

Yeah it is baffling to me that the state with one of the largest underground aquifers is where they they feel is the best place to run the pipeline. I was curious does anyone watch the Blacklist and the latest episode about a pipeline that pushed though quickly and ended up leaking into their surface water supply, and poisoning it with acids killing lots of people and covering it up through lobbyists. I like how they use current events and place worse case scenarios into the episodes.

Yeah it is baffling to me that the state with one of the largest underground aquifers is where they they feel is the best place to run the pipeline. I was curious does anyone watch the Blacklist and the latest episode about a pipeline that pushed though quickly and ended up leaking into their surface water supply, and poisoning it with acids killing lots of people and covering it up through lobbyists. I like how they use current events and place worse case scenarios into the episodes.

Oh yeah, because Hollywood is NEVER pushing their agenda and is ALWAYS showing episodes that show both sides of every issue.

Same thing with Boston Legal years ago.........it was a great show but eventually lost viewership because it became so partisan that it became a single sided soapbox for every cultural issue.