We really need Stanford to lose one more game to be SURE we get that spot, but I don't see how the Fiesta Bowl officials will pass up a NU-OU match-up IF it's available. It would make no sense to pass up that opportunity. They are guaranteed a sellout with a huge following from both fanbases. Oh and we obviously HAVE to win out or this is all a moot point.

Maybe it would wake the two schools up to the importance of the rivalry too....it could kind of replace the old Big Ten-Big Twelve game we had in Illinois v. Mizzou with a much better incarnation. That'd be great. The SEC has its kickoff special and ACC games toward the end of the year...I'd like to see that with us toward the beginning. Iowa State plays Iowa. Nebraska plays Oklahoma. Kansas State plays Northwestern. Minnesota plays Texas. That'd be cool.

that would be cool, and good for the B1G to rebuild its image of being a top conference, which i think it can be. but i also think the B1G should do what the SEC does and save one if its cupcake non-con. games for mid-season. it would offer a nice break for teams to regroup.

True, but this has not been an "impressive" season to date.

True. It's been a surprisingly disappointing year. But who knew coming into this season that we'd be rebuilding? Perhaps that's what's most disappointing.

As I said in another thread, the only team we can't compete with is Husker team we expected to have.

If you can't be happy with a 9-3, 10-2 season, then you may want to think about switching teams, or you are going to have a miserable college football life..... Hell, while a lot of the board members were in diapers, TO teams had a lot of 9 and 10 win seasons with NO National Championships.... and that was before all of the scholarship limits and when we had the TOP facilities in the country.

10-2 / 9-3... satisfaction depends on the schedule... who did we beat, and who did we lose to.

Face it, our schedule was not that tough.

I read with interest this little conversation in the 'Monday Mail Bag' on espnu Big Ten Blog:

Dylan from Concordia, Kan., writes: You said in earlier posts on your blog you think Nebraska has a good chance at getting an at large bid. What are the odds that if we do, we play a Big 12 team that gets an at large, and if we do what team do you see us playing KSU or OU if OSU were to win out?

Brian Bennett: How about Nebraska-Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl? Is that something you might be interested in? I could see it happening, whether the Sooners beat Oklahoma State or not.

That would be SO sweet if we could play AND beat Oklahoma! That would be a blast!

I don't want to lose to Oklahoma again.

I'd rather play in a bowl game where we would be more competative.

Sean_Callahan Sean Callahan

Fiesta Bowl eyeing Oklahoma Sooners, Nebraska Cornhuskers - ESPN es.pn/u5myqw #Huskers

6 hours ago Favorite Undo Retweet Reply

It would be wierd to miss out on a CCG & go to a BCS game. The last few years we have gotten the shaft after very close loses in the CCG. We fell to the 3rd pick the last two years. Maybe missing out on the CCG was the key to getting into a BCS Bowl. As sad as that sounds.

I just don't see us getting an at large bid if we don't even make it to the Big 10 Championship game. The SEC has three teams in the top 10 of the BCS, Big 12 has two, ACC has two, and the Pac 12 has two. Big 10 has zero, and the Big East has zero. There's still enough season left for this to change, but I don't give us a high probability of making one right now.

If you can't be happy with a 9-3, 10-2 season, then you may want to think about switching teams, or you are going to have a miserable college football life..... Hell, while a lot of the board members were in diapers, TO teams had a lot of 9 and 10 win seasons with NO National Championships.... and that was before all of the scholarship limits and when we had the TOP facilities in the country.

10-2 / 9-3... satisfaction depends on the schedule... who did we beat, and who did we lose to.

Funny you brought this up !!! Seriously, I was going to ask this "debatable" question, but didn't want to bring any negativity....

My question is....... We ( as a Husker Nation ) have spent many years "bashing" the Big 10 during years like this. Normally we would be saying that the league is full of very mediocre teams who just beat up on each other, with NO real good team. We would be yelling "foul" at the idea of having this many teams in the top 25 and having 5 with an 8-2 record.... That is how MOST of this board has "viewed" the Big 10 in the past.

Now that we are a part of the Big 10, do people still think the same way.....or is it viewed as a very tough conference in which it is really hard to grind your way through an undefeated or one loss season?

This is probably worth a "thread" of it's own, but I felt it fit with your post

There are four at-large bids...

At present they will go to the SEC, Big XII, Pac 12 and Houston.

Boise would be ahead of a Big Ten team, and a B1G team would be ahead of any ACC team.

Fiesta bowl loves the way Nebraska travels though. Especially over Stanford or Boise, and especially with a OU matchup. It might sound a little far-fetched, but remember, the bowls are about making money, and Nebraska coming to Phoenix makes more money than most of those other options.

I just don't see us getting an at large bid if we don't even make it to the Big 10 Championship game. The SEC has three teams in the top 10 of the BCS, Big 12 has two, ACC has two, and the Pac 12 has two. Big 10 has zero, and the Big East has zero. There's still enough season left for this to change, but I don't give us a high probability of making one right now.

Most of this really isn't relevant though. What is relevant is how many non-champs get automatic bids for being in the top 4 (almost certainly Alabama), whether a non-AQ team gets in automatically (pretty likely to be Houston, TCU or Southern Miss), and then it's just who else is in the top 14 and is attractive to bowls to fill the other two spots The Big 12 loser probably takes one. The other is between us (IF we make the top 14) , Stanford, the ACC loser or Boise to fill the last spot. Bowl selection order makes a huge difference here. Since the Fiesta gets the first pick, they aren't going to take the unbound Big East champ or the ACC loser. Stanford? maybe. Boise? doubtful. Nebraska, especially vs OU? Seems like a winner.

Still plenty of games left that could shake things up, and of course the #1 thing is for us to win out, and win the B1G championship if we get there.

You want the worst scenario? LSU loses the SEC championship, Oregon loses again, and OU or OSU loses this month but wins Bedlam. That probably puts LSU vs. Alabama in the championship, and Georgia goes to the Sugar Bowl. That's the one way a conference gets 3 teams in, and it takes away the spot we'd be shooting for.

• Fire 1

Funny you brought this up !!! Seriously, I was going to ask this "debatable" question, but didn't want to bring any negativity....

My question is....... We ( as a Husker Nation ) have spent many years "bashing" the Big 10 during years like this. Normally we would be saying that the league is full of very mediocre teams who just beat up on each other, with NO real good team. We would be yelling "foul" at the idea of having this many teams in the top 25 and having 5 with an 8-2 record.... That is how MOST of this board has "viewed" the Big 10 in the past.

Now that we are a part of the Big 10, do people still think the same way.....or is it viewed as a very tough conference in which it is really hard to grind your way through an undefeated or one loss season?

This is probably worth a "thread" of it's own, but I felt it fit with your post

The better question is this: could any of the Big 10 teams compete with the top teams from the Big 12, SEC, ACC, and Pac 12? At one time, I thought Wisconsin could have competed with at least the ACC teams and the Pac 12 teams. Now, I'm not so sure. If there was a playoff, there isn't a Big 10 team that would be invited unless they went to a 16 team qualifier which is highly improbable considering the amount of extra games that would add.

Most of this really isn't relevant though. What is relevant is how many non-champs get automatic bids for being in the top 4 (almost certainly Alabama), whether a non-AQ team gets in automatically (pretty likely to be Houston, TCU or Southern Miss), and then it's just who else is in the top 14 and is attractive to bowls to fill the other two spots The Big 12 loser probably takes one. The other is between us (IF we make the top 14) , Stanford, the ACC loser or Boise to fill the last spot. Bowl selection order makes a huge difference here. Since the Fiesta gets the first pick, they aren't going to take the unbound Big East champ or the ACC loser. Stanford? maybe. Boise? doubtful. Nebraska, especially vs OU? Seems like a winner.

Still plenty of games left that could shake things up, and of course the #1 thing is for us to win out, and win the B1G championship if we get there.

You want the worst scenario? LSU loses the SEC championship, Oregon loses again, and OU or OSU loses this month but wins Bedlam. That probably puts LSU vs. Alabama in the championship, and Georgia goes to the Sugar Bowl. That's the one way a conference gets 3 teams in, and it takes away the spot we'd be shooting for.

Im pretty certain that a conference could only get a maximum of 2 bids in BCS. So once LSU-Alabama get picked for there respective games, Geogria/Arkansas/South Carolina are out, please correct me if Im wrong. This is why some have Nebraska going to Fiesta Bowl, that and they will travel more. Once a bowl comes up to pick for the atlarge spot, they can take any team available in the top 14.

Boise can only get in if they are in the top 14 or win the conference. Unless TCU packs it in, they wont win the conference.

Im pretty certain that a conference could only get a maximum of 2 bids in BCS. So once LSU-Alabama get picked for there respective games, Geogria/Arkansas/South Carolina are out, please correct me if Im wrong. This is why some have Nebraska going to Fiesta Bowl, that and they will travel more. Once a bowl comes up to pick for the atlarge spot, they can take any team available in the top 14.

The one scenario he presented is the only way for a conference to get 3 bids. If the SEC has LSU and Alabama at #1 and #2 but neither are the champion then the champion gets a bid too. This scenario is entirely plausible this year, but still unlikely.

The one scenario he presented is the only way for a conference to get 3 bids. If the SEC has LSU and Alabama at #1 and #2 but neither are the champion then the champion gets a bid too. This scenario is entirely plausible this year, but still unlikely.

Ok that clears things up. If that happen the whole BCS would be in shambles.

If you read the thread:

'Objectively……..What few teams CAN’T we compete with….??

some on the board think the Huskers could beat Alabama, Oregon and Okie State (Well....They did last year, so they could this year???).

I for one would hate to face K-State. They play 4 quarters.

I would love to play KSU...don't give us Oklahoma, Oregon, LSU, Alabama, and Clemson