Objectively……..What few teams CAN’T we compete with….??

Comish

Whatever happened to the teams we can beat? I don't recall seeing this thread being called--discussion of equal treatment of different fans on HuskerBoard

This whole if Nebraska would be beat Wisconsin if they played them again is getting WAY out of hand.

Non-objectively, BadgerFan thinks Nebraska wouldn't stand a chance against Wisconsin again. He has good reason [not because he's a Badger fan] to think that. Wisconsin is a balanced offense. They run the ball effectively and they throw the ball effectively. They have so many weapons on the offense that its hard for any defense, let alone our defense [which has been everything but consistent this year], to account for. Add an offensive line bigger than the Packers and you got yourself a quality team.

I digress with their defense. We were able to move the ball on them through the ground and it was clearly obvious how the 3 INTs affected what we did from their on out.

Put this game on a neutral field and it's different. Taylor Martinez is a different player than he was the first time against Wisconsin. Would it be enough to beat Wisconsin the second time around? It would make a difference and with a few key plays from the defense Wisconsin is beatable.

Wisconsin is in 2nd in their division as well, so making the CCG isn't guaranteed for you either. Northwestern plays Michigan State at home...that's our chance. We're going to take care of Iowa and Michigan.

I suggest this scenario.

Put KState as the team instead of Nebraska. What are your thoughts. Are they worthy of a BCS game?

In actuallity they are more qualified than us.

Lets hear your thought on that.

Should be pretty much the same as our chances.

My guess is it will not be the same dialog.

I don't see how there can be any doubt that 'Bama would pwn the Huskers right now. I know that each team has strengths and weaknesses, but they lost to LSU in what was, essentially, a statistical tie. That game was basically a coin flip and was decided by a field goal in overtime. That game was scary.

Oklahoma State, Clemson, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Oregon, Stanford, Arkansas, LSU, Alabama, UGA.

That's just stupid. We beat Oklahoma State in their house last year and lost by 3 to Oklahoma with a gimpy QB (had a big lead on them at halftime before Martinez got hurt again too) but now we couldn't compete with them?

The ONLY team on that list we have no chance to beat is Oregon. Horrible matchup for us. Other than that we could beat any one of those teams - including Wisconsin.

Youre not being objective. Look at our defense compared to last years.No one with any objective thinking or common sense think we could beat oklahoma state. Do you even pay attention to nebraska football? Look who we lost last year from our secondary, there is no way this year's secondary could match with oklahoma states offense. I cant believe youre using last year as a reason we could compete with them this year, that is a stupid argument. You do realiize most of our secondary went to the nfl and we did have one of the best secondaries in ncaa football last year, right?

With that being said, we'd lose for sure to lsu, alabama(richardson would run all over us), oregon, okie state, oklahoma, arkansas. Wisconsin, Standford (Luck would have a hayday against our defense, and sadly kansas state would all be toss ups.

Anybody that is lumping Arkansas into the group of teams we cant compete with needs to have there head re examined. Having watch them play several games this year they look average at best and are only ranked high because the teams in front of them keep losing. Yes they beat Tennesse 49-7, but Tennesse is also 0-6 in the conference. Thats pretty much the samething as beating Indiana or Minnesota by the same score.

They do have a pretty good offense with big wr's. I think their offense would give our defense fits, dont you agree? They have a top 5-10 pass offense.

The ONLY team where we'd be over matched on both sides: LSU.

All others would be very winnable.

OkieLite would give our pink secondary fits but then I hope TM would light them up too.

I dont think we would be overmatched against heir offense. They have alot of speed but that is speed is used going inside. I think we would have a harder time with Oregon because of them running off tackle and the zone read. we are garbage at stopping anything off tackle with a speed quarterback. They also do a heck of a job at throwing out of the same type of formation.

I think we would compete with Okie lite because they paly into our strength, we would be able to go nickle and dime with them and use the schemes that worked for us in the Big Texas league.

We dont have the personnel this year that we had last year do we? Is our nickel and dime back any good? No, i swear some of you dont pay attention to football. Those schemes work if you have the personnel, i.e. us LAST year. So youre telling me ANY scheme can work against them even if you dont have the personnel?...so we can put below average safeties, nickelback and dimeback in that scheme and it will still work?...wow..

OkieLite would give our pink secondary fits but then I hope TM would light them up too.

agreed. LSU would be the only team in the country that im not sure we could keep it within 2 scores of. okielite will be exposed if they have to play LSU and it wont be pretty, if they werent playing in a very WEAK big 12 they would not be undefeated. i truly believe that alabama would be a good close game within a score one way or another. oregon is an inconsistent team.

and i would pay large amounts of money to play wisky again because im of the opinion that we would throttle them. quite frankly to the tune of 31-10. they have regressed and we have gotten better.

Big 12 is better than the Big 10. Oregon is inconsistent but look at us, we are MORE inconsistent then them. How can our rush defense stop richardson? Look wat NORTHWESTERN did to us last weekend there is no way our offense scores more than 10 points on that defense. You cant point out oregon's inconsistencies and not mention ours.

It also depends on where the game is played. Are you talking neutral site? The only team we can't beat is LSU. You can't say OSU; we beat them in Stillwater last year! Everyone else has a loss; therefore, they are beatable.

Yes because both teams have the same roster, right? I guess wisconsin and northwestern will beat us next year then, since they beat us this year.

I might add....Okie Lite's defense has gotten an upgrade...they look better this year. It would be a very tough game....it's crazy that last year we went into their house and beat em. hehe

Where's all this Kool-Aid coming from? Do people really think that with all the inconsistency we've had this year and the loss to Northwestern that Nebraska could even compete with most teams in the top 10?
Let's take a quick look at the teams ranked in front of us: 1) LSU 10-0: Beat Alabama on the road and is sound all across the boards. No way would we beat them 2) Oklahoma State 10-0: Dynamite offense would give our defense fits, but they let a sluggish Kansas State offense score 45. See: @ Okie Light last year 3) Alabama 9-1: Only loss was vs LSU in OT, where they missed 4 FGs. No way would we beat Alabama 4) Oregon 9-1: Extremely quick offense. Better D than Oklahoma State. It would be hard to beat Oregon. 5) Oklahoma 8-1: Allowed an offensive team like Texas Tech beat them in Norman. I'd like our chances against OU. 6) Arkansas 9-1: I'll throw 2 scores out here, Ole Miss 29-24, Vanderbilt 31-28. I'd like our chances against Arkansas 7) Clemson 9-1: Had to kick a FG to beat Wake Forest at home, had to comeback against Maryland, and lost against Georgia Tech. They have weapons but we can beat them too. 8) Stanford 9-1: They're a pretty solid team, but Oregon's speed exposed them. Andrew Luck isn't that mobile, but against us, he might not have to be. It would be tough to beat Stanford 9) Virginia Tech 9-1: I don't really know a lot about the Hokies since Tyrod Taylor left. I'll hold back judgement here. 10) Boise State 8-1: Just lost vs TCU at home. We could beat the Broncos. 11) Houston 10-0: Case Keenum is great. Maybe they're a product of a soft schedule. I don't know. But I think we could beat Houston 12) Michigan State 8-2: 24-3 Already done. 13) Georgia 8-2: They have really turned it on since losing to BSU and SC. I don't know much about them so I'll toss this one up. 14) South Carolina 8-2: Mississippi State 14-12, Tennessee 14-3, Auburn 16-13, Florida 17-12. Without Lattimore, they don't have the offensive firepower. They might have a defense, but we have shown what we can do to good Ds. We'd win. 15) Wisconsin 8-2: Much better than 8-2. I think it would be closer, but I don't know. 16) Kansas State 8-2: The good teams have almost exposed Kansas State for what they are: a team not as good as their record indicates. So the only teams we wouldn't be able to compete with are: Oregon, LSU, Stanford, Alabama, and a toss up between Georgia, Wisconsin, and Virginia Tech

Let me throw out a few scores..we get whooped by wisconsin and we lose to northwestern..friggen northwestern. We are getting our butt kicked by ohio state until bauserman saves our arse (sorry, but if you ppl state that martinez threw 3 picks that lost us that game then bauserman lost the game or ohio state). So any team can look at our past games and use that as a reason as to why they can beat us.

Those were gifts eh? All three to wide open Badgers with no receivers around? You have a short memory.

Hasn't your entire argument about the big10 (since losing to OSU and MSU) been that anyone can beat anyone any given week? I guess that's unless Nebraska played Wisconsin again. Wisconsin isn't the dominant team they appeared to be week 5 or whatever it was. I wouldn't argue they are anywhere near LSU/Oregon/Okie State/Alabama/Oklahoma this year at this point. Neither is Nebraska, and I think that's what the thread was asking.

Turnovers are a funny thing. They swing scores a ton. They also aren't something you can count on every time you play. Some days it just seems like a teams lucky day, other times not so much. Three is potentially a 21 point swing and while I think most people here believe Wisconsin is the better team this year, what do you think would have been the score if it was played with Nebraska at home with 3 interceptions? Is that a game Wisconsin runs away with anyways? No.

Can we beat Northwestern?

When we can do that, then maybe we should think about Vandy.

Some figure we have a major problem with Michigan, but yet feel we will be competitive against Bama.

I would drink the Kool Aid, but you guys have dranken all of it and have ordered the next 20 years of it.

We are not good, period. Lucky Penn State had the problems they had or that would have been a loss.

I want us to win as badly as any of you, but listen to what you are saying.

If a KState fan came in here spouting this crapy you would go nuts.

We could beat Okie Lite because we beat them last year, get a clue.

Lets just win what is left and worry about who we might get in a bowl game. Win that and then maybe we have the right to talk like we matter. Currently we are a trivial little program in the nations eyes, squirming to say we belong in a BCS bowl with elite teams.

Remember we can not win at home against non ranked cellar dwellars. yea give us LSU, BAMA, Oregon, Okie LIte, Arkansas, Washington who we got by at our house, and SC steam rolls, their team with nothing to play for.

I love the Huskers, but our fans are beyond delusional. We keep setting ourselves up for heart break, scream at the team, and players when we lose and then a week later we are world beaters. How is that possible.

We have one of the most unobjective fanbases in college football, yet we throw stones at other fanbases who are the same way. Just look at this thread and the reasons "well, look at last year" or "look at the teams THEY lost to without referring to the games we have lost i.e. northwestern last week. Yet when we lose these fans say "we arent good and will be lucky to beat so-so team." Like Oklahoma state, their offense would kill our defense. Our secondary isnt the same as last year's yet ppl keep saying "look at last year." Husker fans and thinking objectively is tough to come these days. When we beat an OVERRATED penn state team, we can beat any team in the nation but if we get our butt kicked by wisconsin or lose to northwestern then this team isnt very good. IMO, we are around the 15-20 range, have a good offense (not great) have a horrible defnese but good coaching.

I don't see how there can be any doubt that 'Bama would pwn the Huskers right now. I know that each team has strengths and weaknesses, but they lost to LSU in what was, essentially, a statistical tie. That game was basically a coin flip and was decided by a field goal in overtime. That game was scary.

It's games like that that make me realize how far we have to go. I thought the world was gonna end when those two were playing!