Objectively……..What few teams CAN’T we compete with….??

Comish

For all of our collective moaning/bitching/complaining throughout the season (and off-seasons)……..

The fact remains that we are 8-2 and among the better teams in the nation. After an elite few, I maintain that we could play with, and compete with, everyone else. Not that we’d be necessarily favored or even that we would win, but that we are capable of lining up and making a game out of it.

The only teams I believe we could not presently match up with are Oregon, Okie Lite and LSU. The field after those 3 is fluid.

I’d venture that we could play with Alabama because any team with an average offense and no kicking game is vulnerable no matter how great their defense. But the national media has idolized Alabama to the point where they are supposed to be invincible. I call b.s.

Boise St., Stanford, Oklahoma, Arkansas…………sure we would be underdogs, but not grossly overmatched.

I am not saying we should be satisfied with not being one of the elites, but am trying to bring some perspective to some of the nay-saying and carping.

We are young and not that far off. Keep the faith !

I would agree with LSU, Oklahoma St. and Oregon. I think we'd have the easiest time of getting past Oregon, but that's not saying it would be easy. LSU is definitely the best team in the country right now.

Alabama's defense is scary good, but their offense is not with the exception of Trent Richardson, however I would argue he'd have a pretty good game against our defense.

Oklahoma State, Clemson, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Oregon, Stanford, Arkansas, LSU, Alabama, UGA.

That's just stupid. We beat Oklahoma State in their house last year and lost by 3 to Oklahoma with a gimpy QB (had a big lead on them at halftime before Martinez got hurt again too) but now we couldn't compete with them?

The ONLY team on that list we have no chance to beat is Oregon. Horrible matchup for us. Other than that we could beat any one of those teams - including Wisconsin.

Anybody that is lumping Arkansas into the group of teams we cant compete with needs to have there head re examined. Having watch them play several games this year they look average at best and are only ranked high because the teams in front of them keep losing. Yes they beat Tennesse 49-7, but Tennesse is also 0-6 in the conference. Thats pretty much the samething as beating Indiana or Minnesota by the same score.

• Fire 1

Oklahoma State, Clemson, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Oregon, Stanford, Arkansas, LSU, Alabama, UGA.

That's just stupid. We beat Oklahoma State in their house last year and lost by 3 to Oklahoma with a gimpy QB (had a big lead on them at halftime before Martinez got hurt again too) but now we couldn't compete with them?

The ONLY team on that list we have no chance to beat is Oregon. Horrible matchup for us. Other than that we could beat any one of those teams - including Wisconsin.

Hey, the thread asked "Objectively" what teams can't NU compete with... coming from someone that's not a NU homer...I'm being objective. I don't think a team that lost to a 3-5 team at home can beat the elite teams in the nation...and the Huskers have already proven they can't hang with Wisconsin. There is little room for debate in as lopsided a defeat as they suffered in Madison.

• Fire 1

Okie State---- they are better than last year and our secondary last year wasnt exactly shutting them down. throw in this years secondary and we have TTech type of score on our hands.

I think LSU obviously, Oregon and Okie State I think score too many points for us to keep up with. I think we'd score quite a few points, but right now I think they would absolutely light up our defense. Alabama's defense is another notch up from PSU, I think they control our offense enough that Richardson's running is enough for them.

After that, I think we COULD compete with anybody, but we're so up and down it's hard to predict how we'll come out each game.

I like this thread, fun to speculate.

t

Hey, the thread asked "Objectively" what teams can't NU beat... coming from someone that's not a NU homer...I'm being objective. I don't think a team that lost to a 3-5 team at home can beat the elite teams in the nation...and the Huskers have already proven they can't hang with Wisconsin. There is little room for debate in as lopsided a defeat as they suffered in Madison.

I would refer you to last years Nebraska-Washington two game series. That second game can have a competely different outcome. The first NU-Wash game was just as bad as this years NU-Wisc. No one in their right mind thought Washington had a chance in game two.

t

Hey, the thread asked "Objectively" what teams can't NU beat... coming from someone that's not a NU homer...I'm being objective. I don't think a team that lost to a 3-5 team at home can beat the elite teams in the nation...and the Huskers have already proven they can't hang with Wisconsin. There is little room for debate in as lopsided a defeat as they suffered in Madison.

I would refer you to last years Nebraska-Washington two game series. That second game can have a competely different outcome. The first NU-Wash game was just as bad as this years NU-Wisc. No one in their right mind thought Washington had a chance in game two.

There seems to be a long standing theory on this board that has been accepted as truth...that theory being that rematches somehow favor the earlier game's loser. While Nebraska history may seem to prove this true records for teams across college football prove that the winner of the first game is far more likely to win the second, I think Wisconsin would beat NU in a rematch quite easily.

Oklahoma State, Clemson, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Oregon, Stanford, Arkansas, LSU, Alabama.

Sadly...I think this is a pretty accurate list, Badger - minus Oklahoma who I think is down a lot due to injury right now. I'm just not seeing where all these other NU fans are seeing that we've shown anything which makes them think any different. The win over Mich St was pretty impressive...although coming off of an emotional win for them, I could argue that was more them than us - letdown game. But other than that, I haven't seen us show we could beat any of the teams on your list. We got killed by Wisconsin and beat by a horrible NW team..at home. Exactly which other wins do we have that show that we can beat any of the teams on your list? I'd probably even have to add Virginia Tech to the list. That Penn State win was great and all, but it had so many other factors and distractions that none of us can convincingly argue that it was a good win for us....could have gone so many different ways. I'm not trying to be negative, just trying not to be a homer. I think we have about a 50/50 shot of winning out the 2 games left on our schedule, let alone beating any of the teams on your list.

I can agree with that. But from a competition stand point, I don't see how you don't include LSU. Great defensively and despite a weird quarterback rotation they can still lay the wood offensively at times. I think both Oregon and LSU are probably the two teams that would beat us handily.

The ONLY team where we'd be over matched on both sides: LSU.

All others would be very winnable.

OkieLite would give our pink secondary fits but then I hope TM would light them up too.

I dont think we would be overmatched against heir offense. They have alot of speed but that is speed is used going inside. I think we would have a harder time with Oregon because of them running off tackle and the zone read. we are garbage at stopping anything off tackle with a speed quarterback. They also do a heck of a job at throwing out of the same type of formation.

I think we would compete with Okie lite because they paly into our strength, we would be able to go nickle and dime with them and use the schemes that worked for us in the Big Texas league.

The ONLY team where we'd be over matched on both sides: LSU.

All others would be very winnable.

OkieLite would give our pink secondary fits but then I hope TM would light them up too.

agreed. LSU would be the only team in the country that im not sure we could keep it within 2 scores of. okielite will be exposed if they have to play LSU and it wont be pretty, if they werent playing in a very WEAK big 12 they would not be undefeated. i truly believe that alabama would be a good close game within a score one way or another. oregon is an inconsistent team.

and i would pay large amounts of money to play wisky again because im of the opinion that we would throttle them. quite frankly to the tune of 31-10. they have regressed and we have gotten better.