Michigan -- How Does NU win?

Stickney

The 1 thing that makes me feel better about this game is that MI's home field is A LOT less intimidating than PSU's and if the offense didn't look discombobulated @PSU, then I have no reason to believe that it will be bad @UM.

Just a thought based on the venue but it could also be that PSU wasn't loud bec of all the issues surrounding the game and if UM gets as crazy as it looked against ND at night then look out.

I don't think NU fans are going to see much "pressure" on Robinson. The d-line will play with a controlled rush forcing Robinson to "run away" from the play. NU will play man on the backside (with the backside DL just playing containment) allowing an extra person LB or DB to follow Robinson to the "play side". This will be the formula to contain Robinson and force a turnover or two.

With Dennard in a man-to-man, and Green playing in a zone with Stafford/Cassidy, the Wolverines might actually just play into the strengths that the Husker defense has. David/Stafford will be able to run and make plays.

Going out on a limb...Nebraska 38; Michigan 17 (Robinson will score at least once on pure athleticism)

NU offensively: keep doin' what you do!!!

I don't think NU fans are going to see much "pressure" on Robinson. The d-line will play with a controlled rush forcing Robinson to "run away" from the play. NU will play man on the backside (with the backside DL just playing containment) allowing an extra person LB or DB to follow Robinson to the "play side". This will be the formula to contain Robinson and force a turnover or two.

With Dennard in a man-to-man, and Green playing in a zone with Stafford/Cassidy, the Wolverines might actually just play into the strengths that the Husker defense has. David/Stafford will be able to run and make plays.

Going out on a limb...Nebraska 38; Michigan 17 (Robinson will score at least once on pure athleticism)

NU offensively: keep doin' what you do!!!

Agree!! Great post esp. the part that says "The d-line will play with a controlled rush forcing Robinson to "run away" from the play". You almost have no choice with the lack of a Suh-type player on the DL. The only issue I have with this is DE play. It's going to be huge in this game and with the way our DE's play, it could be a nightmarish situation if Denard breaks contain to the edge.

Also, don't forget - UM seems to have finally found a RB (Tousant) and a true run game.

We need to bring up a LB/DB in a Super D mode ala 2003 ie led the team in TFL, sacks and was second overall in tackles that year. Paging Mr Osborne, Paging Mr Osborne. Not every down per say, but enough to be a constant. Hits like a rain, fast and could also spy Robinson. Saw David mentioned, but as the best LB we can ill afford him to be out of position on other plays. I don't care who we use in that role, but it would surprise Michiken. If we used a spy, what about Staford and Osborne as safety or even SJB if he is healthy.

Our D line also has to force Robinson into the pursuit. D needs to hold their lanes and not get caught inside. DE play will be critical. If they over pursue or get caught inside, Robinson is gone. Robinson also appears more shifty in the open field than Martinez. Critical to make contact and wrap up and then gang tackle. Robinson does not appear to be the most durable guy, hit him every play. No cheap shots or late hits, but he needs to feel pressure and contact whenever possible.

LB's have to play solid in the middle and get off the blocks to tackle in space. As Robinson is similar to Martinez in passing skills, I would like to see the DB's keep their eyes on the QB to come up and assist in broken plays or designed QB runs sooner than later. I also think that we can allow our CB's to play on an island this came without safety support over the top. I think Dennard is definetly good enough and Green should be able to hold his own. Do this until Robinson shows he can beat us with his arm. Similar to what every D has done to us this far. Load the box, stuff the run and force them to pass.

Would love to see a lot more blitzes, started closer in and from multiple spots. Sell out ala MSU.

Injuries on both sides will play a huge part as will fatigue. we are down some key players for sure.

On the O side, establish the run. I lked what Beck did for three quarters in mixing up personnel and formations to not allow PSU to really get into their base D. Will need that again this weekend. Would also like to see misdirection and play action to slow what I am sure will be a sell out D ie 8-9 in the box with blitzes. A draw or two and the misdirection will slow this down. Try the bubble screens to get the ball to the playmakers on the outside. Match up a big a$$ Kinnie and Quincy against smaller DB's. Get the ball to Reed in some more mismatches against their DB's. I don't watch practice, but would like to see JT more. The first 5 games he flashed some brilliance. Would also like to see Michicken be stupid enough to punt or KO to AA in a manner that allows a return or two or three (one KO and the rest punts!). Also need to use the triplets more. Bring a change of pace and not a lot of film on them.

The game comes down to limiting Robinson's big plays and Beck calling a complete 4 quarter game.

Husker offense has been a little Jekyll & Hyde. Defense has been mostly Hyde & Hyde.

Hardest thing to get past is that our defense gives up 10 - 15 yards to any quarterback willing to run on a broken pass play, and that is simply tailor-made for Denard Robinson. I think he can be flustered and intercepted, but we would need to see a brand new containment strategy to keep him from running wild.

Best defense might be a good offense. This O has the weapons, but hasn't put together a complete game yet. This would be a swell time.

The road trip doesn't bother me. Pelini teams seem to prefer the animosity of a rival stadium over the expectations of a home game.

The number 1, and virtually only, key to this game is keeping containment on DR. He flatout cannot throw the ball well enough to beat us with his arm. Stack the box and keep him contained and we win handily. Lose containment and it's a long dismal day. Unfortunately this has not been our strong suit with mobile quarterbacks. If I'm the DC, I press the corners and blitz him every stinkin down. I would like to rely on our front 4 getting pressure but I know better-even if they miraculously got through the O line they would never catch him.

The 1 thing that makes me feel better about this game is that MI's home field is A LOT less intimidating than PSU's and if the offense didn't look discombobulated @PSU, then I have no reason to believe that it will be bad @UM.

Just a thought based on the venue but it could also be that PSU wasn't loud bec of all the issues surrounding the game and if UM gets as crazy as it looked against ND at night then look out.

I think it will be much louder and more hostile at the Big House. PSU generated a little bit of noise late but it was generally very subdued. If it's anything at all like UM-ND, it definitely won't help our offense. That is one of the craziest/loudest games I have seen in quite awhile. It has never been like that in Memorial Stadium. But, I still think our team prefers it on the road, noise and all. We haven't shown signs of losing composure due to crowd noise yet this year. Knock on wood cuz this will be a real test of that.

From the beginning of the year, I had been looking at this game a little scared. Now, here we are.

I am starting to feel better about it.

Heavily doubt Bo is going to overlook this game. I like to think that Bo and Carl have something up their sleeve to try to contain Dennard Robinson. Whether that be: heavy blitzing, EMartin like a madman on the outside, Lavonte spying all game, or all off the above.