Urban Meyer to Ohio State?

Badger_HB

The one thing I find interesting is to think about all the programs he was able to get an inside look at over the past year. Its one things to study film on a school, or hire a coach that coached at a rival school. Urban Meyer was able to get behind the scenes info on how things are done in a lot of top programs across the country. Obviously I understand nothing can be done and no rules have been broken. It just seems wrong to me.

Which is at odds here?

OSU, currently facing failure to monitor, that just last summer had their returning starting quarterback flee to the supplemental draft because he was going to have to answer some hard questions to not get his already 5 game suspension for extra benefits extended. Plus 4 other players suspended those 5 games, for the same reason, and a couple getting extended as well?

That would be the same Ohio State that is currently in the crosshairs because it uncovered internally & subsequently turned over to the NCAA each & every violation for which it is being penalized?

The same program which has been consistently cited by others as being one of the few that doesn't resort to underhanded or 'dirty' recruiting tactics?

The same program which has been praised by the NCAA multiple times in the past for being the model of how to handle the problems that can and do crop up at every major program?

Or Meyer? who had the best athletes in the dirty south for a number of years? I'm sure those kids were all turning down money from the other schools for the honor of playing for Meyer and the Gators before he was known for anything but Utah. Not only were they competing with the SEC, but this would have been when that fake billionaire ponzi scheme guy was financially backing the hurricanes.

Whew, Thank goodness! That's clearly an opinion built upon a solid fact based foundation...for a moment I was worried we were going to see some cartoon junior detective "hunches" and guilt by association.

Self reporting has nothing to do with anything and frankly since Pryor was smart enough to get run out of town (eventually) OSU's going to be getting off pretty easy, or at least a lot easier then if that idiot had to stick around and answer questions about the cars, booster autograph business etc. The program got off on a technicality on that one, hes gone so he didn't have to talk to the NCAA again... Congrats.

You're right, absolutely none of the rumors of recruiting down south have ever proven to be true and documented. These are the teams that Texas and Oklahoma consider so dirty they won't even consider joining the same league and tried to keep A&M from the SEC for 20 years to keep them out of Texas recruiting which wasn't sparkling clean in the first place. It's not the SEC that has had coaches detail how the boosters run things down there after getting canned. It's not a direct in-state competition to Miami that had a billionaire bankrolling its players during Meyer's tenure. It's not a program that had a impressive number of arrests under his watch.

The one thing I find interesting is to think about all the programs he was able to get an inside look at over the past year. Its one things to study film on a school, or hire a coach that coached at a rival school. Urban Meyer was able to get behind the scenes info on how things are done in a lot of top programs across the country. Obviously I understand nothing can be done and no rules have been broken. It just seems wrong to me.

Coaches have gone to other programs to learn what and how they do things forever, it's no different, just probably a lot less detailed when you fly in for a broadcast and get a quick Q&A.

• Fire 1

Self reporting has nothing to do with anything...

Self reporting has everything to do with everything. It's the difference between a school trying to do things the right way, addressing legitimate issues and burying everything because you know that if nobody talks the NCAA can't prove squat.

...and frankly since Pryor was smart enough to get run out of town (eventually) OSU's going to be getting off pretty easy, or at least a lot easier then if that idiot had to stick around and answer questions about the cars, booster autograph business etc. The program got off on a technicality on that one, hes gone so he didn't have to talk to the NCAA again... Congrats.

Ahh I see. It's all just a big smoke screen to hide 'WHATS REALLY GOING ON' and of course you know 'THE TRUTH'.

You're right, absolutely none of the rumors of recruiting down south have ever proven to be true and documented. These are the teams that Texas and Oklahoma consider so dirty they won't even consider joining the same league and tried to keep A&M from the SEC for 20 years to keep them out of Texas recruiting which wasn't sparkling clean in the first place. It's not the SEC that has had coaches detail how the boosters run things down there after getting canned. It's not a direct in-state competition to Miami that had a billionaire bankrolling its players during Meyer's tenure.

Really? That's the ironclad logic being brought to the table?

The University of Florida deciding to make massive internal changes in the wake of their violations in the 80's to ensure that such mistakes are never made again is not in any way relevant?

The fact that UF is one of the very few SEC schools (Georgia & Vandy being the the others) that not only avoids oversigning but is actually publicly critical of the practice is meaningless?

Urban Meyer being very outspoken about what he feels has been a nose dive when it comes to integrity in college football and how it was part of the reason he stepped from coaching in general & the SEC specifically is entirely moot?

Those certainly pale next to "the Hurricanes are dirty ergo the University of Florida is dirty".

It's not a program that had a impressive number of arrests under his watch.

Impressive in comparison to what? The number from Saint Osborne's 95 team?

I know I know...that was different there were extenuating circumstances and it isn't fair to take those 17 arrests out of context whereas Florida should be excoriated because.... well because Miami hired prostitutes.

My land what a meltdown. Am I the only one that believes Urban will be a total flop, and that Ohio St. will probably have to buy out his contract in 3-4 years, that is if he doesnt quit on his own. The guy is washed up with health problems. Don't kid yourself. It's why he left everything he had at Florida to begin with. It's why the year after Tebow they struggled. He was already burned out. Now he's been out of coaching for a season so they'll be some rust. I know he was great, but his time has passed. And now at OSt., the first sign of trouble will arise much criticism. Not to mention as stated before, Ohio St. fans must look at long term here and frankly Urban Meyer is NOT that. Unfortunately this is a "win now" society. Just look at all the complete idiots on here thinking it's time for Bo to move along.

Total flop?

College football is still a players game.

We have a WR named Joel Caleb who has just set an official visit to the school with the 118th rated passing offense.

Sounds like the visit was set up basically over the Urban news. This guy is wanted by Alabama,VaTech,Auburn,Florida,Notre Dame,Georgia,etc

Just the fact that he is even looking at us after our pathetic offensive display this year is a win.

Total flop?

We have a WR named Joel Caleb who has just set an official visit to the school with the 118th rated passing offense.

Sounds like the visit was set up basically over the Urban news. This guy is wanted by Alabama,VaTech,Auburn,Florida,Notre Dame,Georgia,etc

Just the fact that he is even looking at us after our pathetic offensive display this year is a win.

I don't know about that...maybe you've seen something I haven't.

Anyhow...sounds like teams should pay the guy just not to coach.

Total flop?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Joel-Caleb-107160

looks like Auburn isn't interested. But everyone else is except for Texas and USC.

Total flop?

http://rivals.yahoo....el-Caleb-107160

looks like Auburn isn't interested. But everyone else is except for Texas and USC.

Damn, I need to read your full posts...thought you were talking about Urban. D'oh! I get it, yea you're right

Coaches have gone to other programs to learn what and how they do things forever, it's no different, just probably a lot less detailed when you fly in for a broadcast and get a quick Q&A.

I understand that part of it. However if you watched some of the programs they did on ESPN U it was behind the scene in depth looks into the program. You are probably right that it doesn't matter. It was just a thought I had.

I agree that the question of "which Urban Meyer" TOSU will get is a bit of a concern. Will this be a 3-4 year committment, or 7+? I tend to thing that it will be the latter for reasons given here http://bleacherreport.com/articles/717115-jim-tressel-resigns-why-urban-meyer-cant-resist-ohio-state-head-coaching-job, barring a return/resurgence of medical issues. That having been said, sometimes the problem with a dream job, just like with a dream house or dream car, is that one can view it through rose colored glasses until one actually has it IMHO this is much less likely, though possible.

Even if Meyer were to leave TOSU after a few years I still think that hiring him at this time is the right move, especially in light of pending NCAA sanctions. The self-imposed scholarship reduction makes quality over quantity in recruiting even more critical. Hiring a big name coach NOW with a proven track record makes the Buckeyes instantly relevant because it puts/keeps the program at or near the top of many top tier recruits lists that otherwise would have looked towards programs ready to win right away. This would likely not be the case if TOSU hired a coach that has yet to prove himself at the top level, as they did with Tressel. If Meyer were to bolt after a few years NCAA sanctions likely will be a non-issue and replacing him with a big-name coach is much less of an issue with respect to the health of the program.