Urban Meyer to Ohio State?

Badger_HB

Sooooo..........does anyone know what's going to happen to Fickell? I figured since they ended the season with a 6-6 record, they would probably make a bowl game. Does Fickell stay and coach the bowl game or is he already gone?

He's actually coaching the bowl and will stay on the staff.

I personally hope he's the coach after Urban leaves.

as Defensive Cord. or have you heard? That's the position he held before right?

I've heard both DC or Associate HC.

Makes sense if he's the associate HC and Mike Stoops is the DC.

He can learn under Urban and lighten Urban's work load.

so one coach cheats and the school is able to bring in a better coach? I think the NCAA should implement a 1mil limit for their head coach for the next 4 years. That would stop them from doing crap like this. I use to respect OSU, now they are no different than Texas to me. They can cheat, get caught and it doesnt matter.

Hopefully they get the death penalty so we can all laugh.

You really think OSU will get the death penalty? Seriously?

Also, why do you really want the NCAA to have that much say in your program? Telling you how much you can spend on a coach? They are no better than any of the coaches or administration found at the member institutions.

I don't get why you are so pissy about another school hiring a coach. You don't know if he will be a flop or a success. Every situation is different.

so one coach cheats and the school is able to bring in a better coach? I think the NCAA should implement a 1mil limit for their head coach for the next 4 years. That would stop them from doing crap like this. I use to respect OSU, now they are no different than Texas to me. They can cheat, get caught and it doesnt matter.

Also, why do you really want the NCAA to have that much say in your program? Telling you how much you can spend on a coach? They are no better than any of the coaches or administration found at the member institutions.

I don't get why you are so pissy about another school hiring a coach. You don't know if he will be a flop or a success. Every situation is different.

No, i dont think OSU would get the death penalty and probably doesnt deserve it. Yes I think the coach's salary should be penalized. Administration failed to monitor the players AND coaches, the coach(es) lied and failed to monitor/report their players, and the players took money and benefits for years. All three levels failed, all three should be impacted. How Gene kept his job is astounding and I think speaks volumes about about the administration and possibly the culture at OSU.

Yes I think if you break the rules, have documentation on several incidents for multiple players over several years.... yes the NCAA should be up in your business. You have an Administration that says its too hard to control your boosters and players...... yet a LOT of other schools can do it. I know some SEC and Texas schools do the same crap, but this isnt the SEC or Texas.

Why am I pissy? Because you shouldn't get a better coach becasue your administration couldnt monitor its player or its head coach. OSU got the benefit from using 5 players that should have been inelligible for years (Pryor has been making money on the side since he was a freshman) and who knows how many countless others that no one ever found out about over the years? You guys got all those wins, got to play the in Nat Champ and all those nice bowls and got wins over other teams when you shouldnt have. Yet, the fan base seems to have little to no remorse for it. Its like: hey its ok, other schools do it. Lets go get a 5mil a year head coach and pretend like it never happened.

Would I be singing the same tune if this happened at Nebraska? HELL YES I WOULD!!! Here, its about pride. What pride is there in winning if your not doing it honestly? You would see the majority of Husker fans holding their school, students, administration and its coaches accountable for their actions..... instead of acting like its trying to sweep it under the rug.

As I have stated, I have rooted for OSU and was rooting for Fickle to hold you guys together. Maybe this was just a few guys making bad choices; but everything the administration has done or not done, has many outsiders questioning OSU's culture up there. Is it no better than many of the SEC and Texas teams? At one point, I thought I knew the answer, now I am not so sure.

As for Meyey; dont play coy with me. Everyone here knows he is probably in the top 3 coaches int eh game today. Not just the best coach avaiable, but one that could take any top 20 team to a Nat'l championship in the next 5 years. Hell at OSU or even here at Nebraska, he could win a NC within 3 years. So, dont play that crap with me that he might suck...... we all know it was a home run for OSU.

Like i said, if your administration had even pretended to care during any of this, perception would be much different to those outside of Ohio.

• Fire 3

No, i dont think OSU would get the death penalty and probably doesnt deserve it. Yes I think the coach's salary should be penalized. Administration failed to monitor the players AND coaches, the coach(es) lied and failed to monitor/report their players, and the players took money and benefits for years. All three levels failed, all three should be impacted. How Gene kept his job is astounding and I think speaks volumes about about the administration and possibly the culture at OSU.

Yes I think if you break the rules, have documentation on several incidents for multiple players over several years.... yes the NCAA should be up in your business. You have an Administration that says its too hard to control your boosters and players...... yet a LOT of other schools can do it. I know some SEC and Texas schools do the same crap, but this isnt the SEC or Texas.

Why am I pissy? Because you shouldn't get a better coach becasue your administration couldnt monitor its player or its head coach. OSU got the benefit from using 5 players that should have been inelligible for years (Pryor has been making money on the side since he was a freshman) and who knows how many countless others that no one ever found out about over the years? You guys got all those wins, got to play the in Nat Champ and all those nice bowls and got wins over other teams when you shouldnt have. Yet, the fan base seems to have little to no remorse for it. Its like: hey its ok, other schools do it. Lets go get a 5mil a year head coach and pretend like it never happened.

Would I be singing the same tune if this happened at Nebraska? HELL YES I WOULD!!! Here, its about pride. What pride is there in winning if your not doing it honestly? You would see the majority of Husker fans holding their school, students, administration and its coaches accountable for their actions..... instead of acting like its trying to sweep it under the rug.

As I have stated, I have rooted for OSU and was rooting for Fickle to hold you guys together. Maybe this was just a few guys making bad choices; but everything the administration has done or not done, has many outsiders questioning OSU's culture up there. Is it no better than many of the SEC and Texas teams? At one point, I thought I knew the answer, now I am not so sure.

As for Meyey; dont play coy with me. Everyone here knows he is probably in the top 3 coaches int eh game today. Not just the best coach avaiable, but one that could take any top 20 team to a Nat'l championship in the next 5 years. Hell at OSU or even here at Nebraska, he could win a NC within 3 years. So, dont play that crap with me that he might suck...... we all know it was a home run for OSU.

Like i said, if your administration had even pretended to care during any of this, perception would be much different to those outside of Ohio.

What do think Ohio State should do? Give up and not have a football team since a group of people broke the rules. That just asinine. Every school has skeletons in their closet. It is just a matter of time before their sins are brought into the light. Don't give some holier than now crap about how much Nebraska is cleaner than anyone else. You can say Nebraska does everything the right way but you really don't know and you don't know what your reactions would be. It only takes one person screwing up bad enough.

Smith should have been gone right after Tressel, I will agree with you there.

]so one coach cheats and the school is able to bring in a better coach? I think the NCAA should implement a 1mil limit for their head coach for the next 4 years. That would stop them from doing crap like this. I use to respect OSU, now they are no different than Texas to me. They can cheat, get caught and it doesnt matter.

First of all, we did not cheat, the head coach lied...there is a difference. Oh, he resigned before he got fired. I fail to see how this hire equals us to Texas? Iconconfused.gif

Really? First, you DID cheat. Your coach played players he knew would be inelligible, if he had reported the issues like he was supposed to. How is that not cheating? Playing players that would otherwise be inelligble is cheating.

Second. You can call it whatever you want, resign or fired. Point of the fact is, if he didnt resign, he would have been fired. We all know the truth here, dont hide behind symantics.

Third. How do you compare to Texas? You cheated, you got away with it, and because of your money and football power; you are able to hire a better coach because of all that money and power. That is Texas; above the law and doesnt have to follow rules that everyone else has to (and they know it, much like OSU). They can do whatever they want because they have money.... same as OSU is doing.

I cant belive I use to root for OSU. I am disgusted and may have to root for Michigan; they may be elitist a$$hole$, but atleast they dont condone cheating and paying players like they do up at OSU.

I have seen this statement about Texas breaking rules a couple times now - Exactly what NCAA rule has Texas broken. I understand that they get special treatment, but to my knowledge I have not heard of NCAA rules that they broke and got no punishment for. Am I missing something?

]so one coach cheats and the school is able to bring in a better coach? I think the NCAA should implement a 1mil limit for their head coach for the next 4 years. That would stop them from doing crap like this. I use to respect OSU, now they are no different than Texas to me. They can cheat, get caught and it doesnt matter.

First of all, we did not cheat, the head coach lied...there is a difference. Oh, he resigned before he got fired. I fail to see how this hire equals us to Texas? Iconconfused.gif

Really? First, you DID cheat. Your coach played players he knew would be inelligible, if he had reported the issues like he was supposed to. How is that not cheating? Playing players that would otherwise be inelligble is cheating.

Second. You can call it whatever you want, resign or fired. Point of the fact is, if he didnt resign, he would have been fired. We all know the truth here, dont hide behind symantics.

Third. How do you compare to Texas? You cheated, you got away with it, and because of your money and football power; you are able to hire a better coach because of all that money and power. That is Texas; above the law and doesnt have to follow rules that everyone else has to (and they know it, much like OSU). They can do whatever they want because they have money.... same as OSU is doing.

I cant belive I use to root for OSU. I am disgusted and may have to root for Michigan; they may be elitist a$$hole$, but atleast they dont condone cheating and paying players like they do up at OSU.

Whoa. You don't know a whole lot about M*ch*g*n then do you? Chis Webber could find the amount of cash involved in the Tat-5 stuff in his couch cushions.

Now, I'm not here to defend any of this crap. No matter where it happens. I will say however, whenever I watch a college football game now, I have to wonder how the rest of the country is paying for all their tattoos. And as a fan, it sucks that that's what pops in my head...

The funniest part about this is that Michigan is still under probation for cheating.

• Fire 1

The funniest part about this is that Michigan is still under probation for cheating.

Technically cheating yes. What was the offense:

Probation for practice and training violations. Rodriguez failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance with NCAA rules.

It can be argued that Rodriguez failed to motivate his players. Rich Rod failed with the same team that went 10 - 2 with Hoke at the helm.

I just dont see that the same as other money scandals in CFB.

Technically cheating yes. What was the offense:

Probation for practice and training violations. Rodriguez failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance with NCAA rules.

It can be argued that Rodriguez failed to motivate his players. Rich Rod failed with the same team that went 10 - 2 with Hoke at the helm.

I just dont see that the same as other money scandals in CFB.

Well the Ohio State thing wasn't really a money scandal. Anyone who owned those items would be able to get that same amount of value from them. The Ohio State scandal was the lie, not the money.