B1G Officiating

The no call offensive pass interference call on Michigan early literally gave them a td (it was 3rd down) and on the next possession Marlowe was clearly interfered with on a 3rd down and no call. I thought the thorell PI in the end zone was more bs than the roughing punter. According to the rule, when contact is made with a punter while he is in the air it is roughing. So basically the correct call was made.

Don't really have a comment on the officiating but that was not an offensive PI. Look at the play, both players were going for the ball. One played it correctly, the other didn't.

At first glance it looked like Dennard just bumped and fell over. But he was pushed. And it was right in front of the side judge...

Yes, the live action view, it looked like Fonzie lost his footing BUT on the slow mo replay from the opposite endzone you see the receiver's left arm nudge our DB forward.

Jimmy Johnson once took a national title contending team into South Bend to play Notre Dumb. The game was close and late in the game Miami was driving and a ball was fumbled as a Miami player stretched it across the goal line. It was ruled a fumble and Notre Dame took possession of the ball. There was no instant replay ruling, even though by viewing the replay it seemed obvious that

a) the ball crossed the goal line

b) the player was down

c) the ground caused the fumble

Miami lost the game and it cost them the national title as it was their only loss that year. Now I'm not a Jimmy Johnson fan by any means and quite honestly, I despise the guy. But I totally respect what he told his players after the game in regards to the play that many of them were saying the refs "cost them the game" on.

"Don't put yourself in a situation where a ref's decision can determine the outcome of a game that YOU can determine by the way you play."

Offensive holding has been a problem all year. I seen guys get flat out tackled all game and don't get a single call. But the last couple of games have been absolutely horrible. TO or Bo need to discuss this with the league offices, because we have gotten hosed by the officials lately.

Oh and before I forget. To the Michigan punter today, this is for you. I see good things in your acting career.

side_oscar.jpg

End Rant.

I do NOT blame the punter for that! He landed on our guy and went off balance, you know, with one leg in the air, and fell. My beef is with the call! From all of the rules that I've been reading, the collision has to be intentional (e.g. tackling the punter, trying to take him out while he's super vulnerable) for it to be roughing. Running into is incidental while going for the ball etc. I mean, in this case, the NU player left his feet to get the ball, MISSED the punter, and the punter came down on top of him while he was already stationary. It was a CRAP call but has nothing to do with the punter pretending anything. He just came down on someone awkwardly and fell. The ref's interpretation of what went on was RIDICULOUS.

Now, I don't remember if NU was down by 2 or 3 TDs at that point, but I do remember feeling that with some good field position there was at least a chance. THat call and the subsequent score is where the game became an (almost) inevitable loss.

After a day, the calls that were made don't bother me. But what does bother me is how one sided the officiating has been the last two games. The PSU game they gave PSU possession of a fumble while it was still rolling around and yesterday Marlowe and Fonzie got hosed on no-call PI. It didn't cost us the game yesterday, but if it's not corrected, it will in the future. The B1G needs to step up.

BTW Glendower, I disagree. That was a total flop by the punter.

Instead of bitching about the calls, which every school involved in every game can do, why not bitch about putting a player in that position in the first place. There was NO reason what soever to go after the punt, and JP said the punt block was called. Hadn't tried it all year, was about to get the ball back in good field position, and you go for it then? One call I will disagree with.

And if you look at the rule that dudeguyy posted pay close attention to NUMBER 8. The punter was in his most vulnerable and WAS hit. If it had happened to Maher all of you would be defending this ruling to the death.

As for the Fonzie play, maybe it was a quick makeup call for Green getting to the receiver pretty early a couple of plays earlier?

The officials certainly struggle but pinning it all(or a lot) on them is a joke.

Offensive holding has been a problem all year. I seen guys get flat out tackled all game and don't get a single call. But the last couple of games have been absolutely horrible. TO or Bo need to discuss this with the league offices, because we have gotten hosed by the officials lately.

Oh and before I forget. To the Michigan punter today, this is for you. I see good things in your acting career.

side_oscar.jpg

End Rant.

I do NOT blame the punter for that! He landed on our guy and went off balance, you know, with one leg in the air, and fell. My beef is with the call! From all of the rules that I've been reading, the collision has to be intentional (e.g. tackling the punter, trying to take him out while he's super vulnerable) for it to be roughing. Running into is incidental while going for the ball etc. I mean, in this case, the NU player left his feet to get the ball, MISSED the punter, and the punter came down on top of him while he was already stationary. It was a CRAP call but has nothing to do with the punter pretending anything. He just came down on someone awkwardly and fell. The ref's interpretation of what went on was RIDICULOUS.

Now, I don't remember if NU was down by 2 or 3 TDs at that point, but I do remember feeling that with some good field position there was at least a chance. THat call and the subsequent score is where the game became an (almost) inevitable loss.

When does anyone run into the punter intentionally? The rule says if you hit the punter when he is vulnerable, ie, up in the air, it's roughing. There is no clause in there about how much contact there is, or the severity of it, it simply is if he is vulnerable. And when you hit him while he is in the air, it's going to be roughing. Our guy made a great effort, but the first, middle and last rule when attempting to block a punt is to NOT hit the punter.

I find it funny, when I read other teams pages they all say "stop blaming the refs, or go be a husker fan" NU fans are getting a rep as pathetic cry babies who blame losses on everything but the place it belongs. coaches and players.

I don't care what other fan bases think about us. 2, if not 3, questionable calls yesterday led to Michigan points. What really drives me nuts is the lack of oversight of NCAA officials.

And if you read the rest of the board, there is plenty of blame on the coaches and players.

Sorry guys. The officiating has been good in the big ten. STOP WHINNING. Also the penalty on the michigan punter is a roughing the kicker penalty. His plant foot was in the air. That oscar that is at the beggining of the thread is a kool aid drinking Husker fan. Nebraska just is not that good. Came into a dwon year in talent in the Big Ten and did not produce. end of story.Imagine if Nebraska was in the Big 12 this year? What 6-5 or a losing season? and please do not tell me we would of beaten Texas. We Know the 1-9 record and still would of lost some how. Good thing this year Nebraska got into a down year in the conference or we would be pulling our hair out this year. Remember the defense was suppose to be our strong point and well we know the outcome of that. I just lost a grand with vegas on Nebraska winning the big ten. I made the bet at the beggining of the season. It happens. But stop crying, PLEASE. Also NU IS NORTHWESTERN NOT NEBRASKA. THEY OWNED THE HUSKERS IN THEIR HOUSE.