The "Nobody" needs to be fired thread....

walksalone

Lets go get Turner Gill! He'll need a job soon, lets fire Bo and get Turner Gill!

We all know what's best for the team....if we only would have hired Turner 4 years ago right?

I should be quoting this in the board feedback forum because it is the strongest arguement I've ever heard to bring back negative rep. Why would someone want to fire a successful coach to hire one that has been unsuccessful. Bo is winning games, I hope this talk ends soon, otherwise I see history repeating itself.

Isn't it kind of a Nebraska tradition since Frank S?

I see it a little different.

I see a major loss at Wisconsin.

I see a loss at Ohio State, if their starter had not gone down.

I see a win after Michigan State had to be exhausted. I wonder what it would have been had we played them first.

I see a disgusting loss to Northwestern, never to be forgotten and nearing the bottom of the barrel along with Iowa State and WasingtonII

I see a win to a Penn State that if would have had another quarter most likely would have beaten us.

I see a major loss to Michigan that should have been the easiest team on the planet to prepare for and desire to win beyond belief

In other words I see pathetic losses and some lucky wins which very easily could have been six 6, yes six losses.

That is not up to Nebraska standards.

I see a very possible loss to Iowa, and most likely a loss in the bowl game.

We have problems, we need to figure out what they are and fix them, or the hope of a return to elite status is gone.

And I do not believe BO is a leading candidate for any head coaching jobs. It would be almost as stupid as it was for us hiring him.

10-3 is okay, but the record does not tell the whole story.

9-5 will end the thought of him leaving without being asked to leave.

I see a win after Michigan State had to be exhausted. I wonder what it would have been had we played them first.

I see a disgusting loss to Northwestern, never to be forgotten and nearing the bottom of the barrel along with Iowa State and WasingtonII

I see a win to a Penn State that if would have had another quarter most likely would have beaten us.

I see a major loss to Michigan that should have been the easiest team on the planet to prepare for and desire to win beyond belief

In other words I see pathetic losses and some lucky wins which very easily could have been six 6, yes six losses.

We have problems, we need to figure out what they are and fix them, or the hope of a return to elite status is gone.

And I do not believe BO is a leading candidate for any head coaching jobs. It would be almost as stupid as it was for us hiring him.

No one said he was a 'leading candidate' for any head coaching jobs. I said that his name was being thrown around for the Ohio State position. His name comes up almost every time there is an opening. It's been that way for awhile.

I vehemently disagree with you that it was a 'stupid idea' for us to hire him. I remember when Solich got fired people were crying for him to be chosen as our next head coach. When he wasn't hired people complained about it for months. Then when he was hired people were ecstatic! Remember who hired him as well: Are you insinuating that T.O is stupid? He hired him. He will also let him go if he isn't doing the job he was hired for.

Also, could you list the 'Nebraska Standards'? Because from reading this board anything less than a Conference and/or National Championship is the only thing that seems to satsify. But maybe not. Even when we DO win people whine about what we didn't do.

Do we have some problems-yeah we do-but there isn't anything that can't be fixed. Support the team! Remember-players read this board. They need to hear us supporting them and the coaches not beating them when they're down.

I see it different also

I see a bunch of whiney asses on here

I see that some will never be happy with our coach

I see some that are rational and some that aren't

I see ones that stand by the team, win lose or draw and not complain

As for the team

I see a young coach and staff, minus a couple guys

I see a young and talented team

I see a team that is trying to find it's way in new lands

I see a team that needs to grow up, young and even old

A 10-3 record will be just fine with me. They can even do it next year and I will be happy.

I see it different also

I see a bunch of whiney asses on here

I see that some will never be happy with our coach

I see some that are rational and some that aren't

I see ones that stand by the team, win lose or draw and not complain

As for the team

I see a young coach and staff, minus a couple guys

I see a young and talented team

I see a team that is trying to find it's way in new lands

I see a team that needs to grow up, young and even old

A 10-3 record will be just fine with me. They can even do it next year and I will be happy.

Thanks!!! GO BIG RED!!!

Trust me ladyhawke, Tom had no choice in the matter, Bo was hired months before he got here. Booster A made that choice and it was in concrete the day Clownahan was fired.

Been a supporter of the program for over 50 years, and a family supporter for over 100 years, have family that have played on this team. I will whine anytime I feel like it. I have spent more time with this program than you have sleeping.

I am sick of all the excuses. WE have a new OC, we changed our Defense, our top player got hurt, on and on. Does Michigan have these excuses, why can they accomplish a turn around in one season, supposedly they were in far worse shape than us. No defense, but alas an offensive coach comes in and they have a defense. WE have four years under a supposed genius and we are worse than his first year.

I do not want Bo fired, I want consistent improvement. Truly we have yet to improve over his first year. 10-3 is okay if that is all you are looking for. I am looking for a good team that plays with heart everytime it lines up. That demands perfection from every play, a coach that feels the same way. I could not care less about wins and losses. If they give everything they have every single game and lose I am fine with that. We have a team that plays when it wants to and does not when it does not want to, see WashingtonII, Northwestern, Iowa State and others that happen to be wins, but should have been losses.

Bo should have never been hired by Nebraska. Not because he is not a good coach, I think he is. But he was not and is not prepared to be a head coach. He did not have the training, and that is not just the football side of it. Managing a major program is a lot different than being a co DC. He did not have the tools and the only reason he is doing a half assed job is because of Coach Osborne being here. If Tom was gone, this would be in total disarray, much worse than it is now.

Burning Red Shirts hurts recruiting unless the players are actually playing, again this goes back to management skills, plannning and preperation.

But again I do not want Bo fired. I know what will happen if he is. He is what we have, and in honesty with what has happened over the last ten years we could not get better.

I am tired of hearing all on here that stated at the beginning of the year we would march through the BIG, and there were many who did. Those of us who said it would be tough were called Debbied Downers, non fans and all. Pretty much anyone with half a brain knew this was going to be a tough move. We are where I expected us to be, and had hoped for better. I did not see us beating Wisconsin nor Michigan, but I did not expect the total routs that we endured. I thought Michigan State would be tough, and never thought Northwester would be a problem.

Again I am not unhappy about the 9-3 we have. I am unhappy about the way we played the games, the choices we made. And I throw every bit of it on Bo. He is the head coach, he needs to do a far better job. He is not a coaching God yet. He is far over paid with his accomplishments and has to improve a tremendous amount just to justify what he is paid. I am still not convinced we have the level of assistiant coaches we need. The old buddy deal got cold with Clownahan. WE have the same thing going on now.

In short we can not replace Bo, it would kill this program forever. He has to step and do the job he was hired to do. That was not losing to Northwestern, and being destroyed by Wisconsin and Michigan.

Tired of the excuses.

Have a nice day.

PS, I never blame the players for the losses. They can only do what they are taught and expected to do. If they are not capable of doing what is asked, replace them with second string or third string. Never using the back ups when starters screw up, sets up security. No one should have security in college football. Knowing your butt is setting is the most important thing to learn. What it does tell you is that the coach has no faith in those he has recruited, or they are not prepared to do the job. If that is so, when do they get that experience. I think we are looking at the results this year.

No. I don't want to entertain the thought. This 'fire the coach' or 'replace the coach' thread only happens when we lose. You never hear about it when we win. Changing coaches like we change our underwear is poor. It smacks of 'insecurity' in the ranks. I like Bo and I think he's going to be fine. He just needs the chance to grow as a coach and as an individual. Our boys are young but they have talent. All of the coaches that were listed were contacted when we were looking for a new coach the last time and yes we had heard about them already. None of them answered the call. I don't know if you remember but the fans were crying for Bo to come here before Callahan came here. Peterson didn't want him and look what we got. I shudder to think what we would get should Bo decide to leave. He's a popular commodity in the B1G. His name has already been mentioned in the same breath as Urban Meyer's and Bob Stoops to take over at Ohio State. If you want a different coach so badly then root for another team. Most folks here want Bo to stay put.

Dumb_sign.jpg

...and please tell me you change your underwear more than once every 4 years. I also like how you pulled out the "go root for another team" thing when someone questions Bo's status as HC. That's like saying we can't judge the defensive performance unless we played D1 ball. Doesn't work that way.

Ultimately everything you said is the same thing we've been saying for years. "Bo has potential to be great" - "Bo is growing as a HC" - "Bo is learning to manage his temper" - "You can't name a better coach so we're sticking with Bo" - "Last time we changed coaches we got Callahan and that ended terriable so let's just be happy with 4 losses a year"

"People who demand neutrality in any situation are usually not neutral but in favor of the status quo."

Why is it we never have these 'Fire Bo' threads when we win? You didn't address that observation. When we beat MSU this year were there any threads calling for Bo's head? And we haven't been saying those things for 'years'. He's only been here for 4-Give him a chance. I'm not happy with the way we're playing either but I'm not the coach. Do we need to make changes-Yep. But I also believe we need to support our team and the coaches. I don't think you or I can even imagine the pressure these coaches/players are under. They need our support. We can criticize but constructively. The insults and berating that goes on about Bo and his kids are just defeating.

Trust me ladyhawke, Tom had no choice in the matter, Bo was hired months before he got here. Booster A made that choice and it was in concrete the day Clownahan was fired.

Been a supporter of the program for over 50 years, and a family supporter for over 100 years, have family that have played on this team. I will whine anytime I feel like it. I have spent more time with this program than you have sleeping.

Congratulations. That's commendable. You can whine anytime you want but that doesn't make it right or profitable for the team.

I am sick of all the excuses. WE have a new OC, we changed our Defense, our top player got hurt, on and on. Does Michigan have these excuses, why can they accomplish a turn around in one season, supposedly they were in far worse shape than us. No defense, but alas an offensive coach comes in and they have a defense. WE have four years under a supposed genius and we are worse than his first year.

Yet they lost to Michigan State whom we beat, got beat by Iowa whom we will (hopefully) beat. Let's see how they fare against Ohio State (again whom we beat.) Are they really that good? Are we worse that Bo's first year? "Pelini's 2008 regular season record of 9-4 was the highest among all 28 Division 1A teams with new head coaches and staffs that year."

I do not want Bo fired, I want consistent improvement. Truly we have yet to improve over his first year. 10-3 is okay if that is all you are looking for. I am looking for a good team that plays with heart everytime it lines up. That demands perfection from every play, a coach that feels the same way. I could not care less about wins and losses. If they give everything they have every single game and lose I am fine with that. We have a team that plays when it wants to and does not when it does not want to, see WashingtonII, Northwestern, Iowa State and others that happen to be wins, but should have been losses.

Here we are in agreement. I miss the passion that was Nebraska football. I've only been involved in NU football since the 1980's. I miss that BAM! when a player would tackle the opponent.

Bo should have never been hired by Nebraska. Not because he is not a good coach, I think he is. But he was not and is not prepared to be a head coach. He did not have the training, and that is not just the football side of it. Managing a major program is a lot different than being a co DC. He did not have the tools and the only reason he is doing a half assed job is because of Coach Osborne being here. If Tom was gone, this would be in total disarray, much worse than it is now.

Who would've been your choice? (Just curious) Again, I don't have the inside information that you do, but just from reading the paper, many were asked but Bo was the only one besides Turner who accepted? Now that we do have Bo, I shudder to think what would happen if he decided to leave. We would be in dire straits or would we?

Burning Red Shirts hurts recruiting unless the players are actually playing, again this goes back to management skills, planning and preparation.

But again I do not want Bo fired. I know what will happen if he is. He is what we have, and in honesty with what has happened over the last ten years we could not get better.

Thank you! I agree. I'm just not ready to give up on him yet. I did a little digging into Nebraska's coaching history and both Devaney and Osborne had the same kind of 'First 4 years' as Bo is having. People gave them a chance and I just believe that Bo should be given that chance.

I am tired of hearing all on here that stated at the beginning of the year we would march through the BIG, and there were many who did. Those of us who said it would be tough were called Debbie Downers, non fans and all. Pretty much anyone with half a brain knew this was going to be a tough move. We are where I expected us to be, and had hoped for better. I did not see us beating Wisconsin nor Michigan, but I did not expect the total routs that we endured. I thought Michigan State would be tough, and never thought Northwester would be a problem.

Frankly, I didn't know what kind of season we would have. I knew that our schedule would be tough. If we lost, I thought it would be against Wiscy and Michigan. Like you, I certainly didn't think we would lose to NW. (You're called a 'Debbie Downer' while I'm called a 'Susie Sunshine Pumpers' we should start a club! lol)

Again I am not unhappy about the 9-3 we have. I am unhappy about the way we played the games, the choices we made. And I throw every bit of it on Bo. He is the head coach, he needs to do a far better job. He is not a coaching God yet. He is far over paid with his accomplishments and has to improve a tremendous amount just to justify what he is paid. I am still not convinced we have the level of assistiant coaches we need. The old buddy deal got cold with Clownahan. WE have the same thing going on now.

Again, we agree. I'm not pleased with the way we've been playing either but is it really all on Bo? I'm in education and I hear all the time how teachers are over paid and that we're not doing our job blah blah blah but I'm telling you that there are some kids that come to school unprepared to learn. Their parents don't give a crap about whether they learn or not so long as they are out of the way. I see this sometimes with some players. You can motivate, teach, coach until you're blue in the face but then they play and blah! Bo can coach kids the fundamentals, how to catch a ball, how to effectively tackle but he's not the one who executes the play. Know what I mean? He didn't drop the balls or fumble them.

In short we can not replace Bo, it would kill this program forever. He has to step and do the job he was hired to do. That was not losing to Northwestern, and being destroyed by Wisconsin and Michigan.

Agreed

Tired of the excuses.

I guess I don't see them as excuses rather than just plain old facts: We are a young team, we have a young head coach and green assistants. Will they get better? I think they will but I'm an eternal optimist. I believe that you can draw attract better with honey than vinegar.

Have a nice day.

You as well. Happy Thanksgiving! It was nice talking with you. :)

PS, I never blame the players for the losses. They can only do what they are taught and expected to do. If they are not capable of doing what is asked, replace them with second string or third string. Never using the back ups when starters screw up, sets up security. No one should have security in college football. Knowing your butt is setting is the most important thing to learn. What it does tell you is that the coach has no faith in those he has recruited, or they are not prepared to do the job. If that is so, when do they get that experience. I think we are looking at the results this year.

We discussed this above. You can often lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. I do agree with you that we need to put in other kids when the kids who are playing start making mistakes. Maybe that kid is having a bad day, take him out and let someone else play who might be ready. I have no idea why Bo isn't using the freshman.

Thanks again for the discussion. I appreciate it. (Please know that my discussions are never anything personal. I'm just an old gal that likes to talk about football. Thanks for the gab!)

Jim Grobe was supposedly approached, he was told he could not bring his whole staff, so he said no. Paul Johnson was another that I thought might do a good job. Returning more to our roots. Pat Hill was my favorite, but has lost some luster here lately. I wanted an established college head coach. A coach that had accomplished a lot with far less talent than others. I felt a good/great coach with the talent that Nebraska could bring in would be just what we needed. Unfortunately we decided on sparkle over experience.

I wanted Bo when Frank was fired, I did not want him after some or the recruiting incidents, the Snyder deal had an affect, the kids running wild at San Antonio, and the gloves at OU. I felt he was way to immature to be a head coach.

I voiced that when he was hired, but over the last four years I have seen that he has the ability to be a good coach.

He still has major growth issues. Controlling his temper, bashing the media, his one ally to bridge the gap when his team does not play up to the level we all expect. His stubborness, is high on the list, and his contempt for the fan base is almost sickening at times.

I did not say the sky is falling, I said he needs to do the job he was hired to do. Does anyone feel he has done a great job? I think the first two years were pretty good, last was questionable, but the Washington loss still makes me ill. Some very bad games in the cup cake league this year, and well we know what happened after that. He has not earned what we are paying him, and he needs to make improvements in all that I listed above, I think, and I would guess many more.

Can he make us an elite team. Honestly I do not know, nor do I know if anyone can. Can he get us to playing every game like it is their last, with fire, passion, smack you in the mouth hard play, is the question I have. He has not so far, and that is what I am upset about.

Jim Grobe was supposedly approached, he was told he could not bring his whole staff, so he said no. Paul Johnson was another that I thought might do a good job. Returning more to our roots. Pat Hill was my favorite, but has lost some luster here lately. I wanted an established college head coach. A coach that had accomplished a lot with far less talent than others. I felt a good/great coach with the talent that Nebraska could bring in would be just what we needed. Unfortunately we decided on sparkle over experience.

I wanted Bo when Frank was fired, I did not want him after some or the recruiting incidents, the Snyder deal had an affect, the kids running wild at San Antonio, and the gloves at OU. I felt he was way to immature to be a head coach.

I voiced that when he was hired, but over the last four years I have seen that he has the ability to be a good coach.

He still has major growth issues. Controlling his temper, bashing the media, his one ally to bridge the gap when his team does not play up to the level we all expect. His stubborness, is high on the list, and his contempt for the fan base is almost sickening at times.

I did not say the sky is falling, I said he needs to do the job he was hired to do. Does anyone feel he has done a great job? I think the first two years were pretty good, last was questionable, but the Washington loss still makes me ill. Some very bad games in the cup cake league this year, and well we know what happened after that. He has not earned what we are paying him, and he needs to make improvements in all that I listed above, I think, and I would guess many more.

Can he make us an elite team. Honestly I do not know, nor do I know if anyone can. Can he get us to playing every game like it is their last, with fire, passion, smack you in the mouth hard play, is the question I have. He has not so far, and that is what I am upset about.

all good points. somehow Pelini seems detached from this team, i can't put my finger on it, but to me he seems distant. i don't like his remarks after poor performances, maybe as a fan i am just reading more into his demeanor, i don't know, but i do know something does not feel right, something is missing, out of place, i dunno, it just feels weird........it's like a science experiment, it started out well, then it became obvious we did not make a good plan nor have all the ingridients to finish the job...........worse yet, it seems like we have no direction on where to go or how to get there from here, it feels like a dead end.

again, maybe the coaching staff has just failed to articulate who we are as a football team or more important who we want to be.......so far, it feels like a mis-mash of parts, a puzzle, with no one knowing how to fit the pieces together.......Happy Thanksgiving to all.

I think I was surprised that with our history, fan support and even money that we were going to bring in an experienced coach. However, I also wanted Turner Gill so what do I know-right? I guess I thought UNL wanted Bo. I didn't know that he had already been chosen before Tom O took the reigns.

I wonder if Frank had not been fired and Bo was still the defensive coordinator if Frank could've 'grown Bo' to be a better head coach?

Does he remind you of Devaney when he came here? He kinda does for me. I'm torn on the 'bashing the media' because some of the questions those reporters ask him are just stupid. I think he has grown in the 'controlling temper' aspect although I'm not sure if in trying to control his temper he's lost some passion?

Yeah, he's got alot of work to do both in self-improvement and with the team. I think we were all so depressed from the Callahan debacle that Bo was like a breath of fresh air. He was like us. Do you think we lost the Washington game as a protest for having to play them again after we had already anialated them earlier in the year?

I'm hopeful but like you I am bothered that we're not playing with the intensity that we are all used to. Blah.

Tired of the excuses.

So the fact that Burkhead looked dinged up against Michigan, and that depth along the defensive line has been hit hard because of several injuries, means these are excuses? Not reasons or substantiated facts?

I'm sorry, but I don't agree. There are many things we can point to about this team that can explain why they're inconsistent, but there's no way you can sit there and tell me that our injury-ridden defensive line isn't a reason we're struggling but instead an excuse. An excuse is "blah my mind wasn't in the right place". A reason is "I didn't play well because I have a torn muscle." There's vast differences between the two. I will never make excuses for the team, but I will substantiate opinions with what I believe factual information, in order to try and understand why a team played well or not.

PS, I never blame the players for the losses. They can only do what they are taught and expected to do.

At some point the players have to be held responsible for their performances on the field. Coaches can only do so much. The players need to hold one another accountable and make sure they're not letting the team down by playing poorly. As ladyhawke said, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

That said, I think the coaches need to step up here and institute that kind of mindset into the players. If one player fails, the whole team fails. They need to teach the players to hold one another to high standards.