The "Nobody" needs to be fired thread....

walksalone

Tired of the excuses.

So the fact that Burkhead looked dinged up against Michigan, and that depth along the defensive line has been hit hard because of several injuries, means these are excuses? Not reasons or substantiated facts?

I'm sorry, but I don't agree. There are many things we can point to about this team that can explain why they're inconsistent, but there's no way you can sit there and tell me that our injury-ridden defensive line isn't a reason we're struggling but instead an excuse. An excuse is "blah my mind wasn't in the right place". A reason is "I didn't play well because I have a torn muscle." There's vast differences between the two. I will never make excuses for the team, but I will substantiate opinions with what I believe factual information, in order to try and understand why a team played well or not.

PS, I never blame the players for the losses. They can only do what they are taught and expected to do.

At some point the players have to be held responsible for their performances on the field. Coaches can only do so much. The players need to hold one another accountable and make sure they're not letting the team down by playing poorly. As ladyhawke said, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

That said, I think the coaches need to step up here and institute that kind of mindset into the players. If one player fails, the whole team fails. They need to teach the players to hold one another to high standards.

Do you think the depth chart needs to be reevaluated iyo?

Tired of the excuses.

So the fact that Burkhead looked dinged up against Michigan, and that depth along the defensive line has been hit hard because of several injuries, means these are excuses? Not reasons or substantiated facts?

I'm sorry, but I don't agree. There are many things we can point to about this team that can explain why they're inconsistent, but there's no way you can sit there and tell me that our injury-ridden defensive line isn't a reason we're struggling but instead an excuse. An excuse is "blah my mind wasn't in the right place". A reason is "I didn't play well because I have a torn muscle." There's vast differences between the two. I will never make excuses for the team, but I will substantiate opinions with what I believe factual information, in order to try and understand why a team played well or not.

PS, I never blame the players for the losses. They can only do what they are taught and expected to do.

At some point the players have to be held responsible for their performances on the field. Coaches can only do so much. The players need to hold one another accountable and make sure they're not letting the team down by playing poorly. As ladyhawke said, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

That said, I think the coaches need to step up here and institute that kind of mindset into the players. If one player fails, the whole team fails. They need to teach the players to hold one another to high standards.

I think Matt Davidson was talking about the fact that our team doesn't seem to have any true leaders. He said that he remembered when Grant Wistrom and those guys were here that when a player made a mistake there was another player in his face giving him a talking to. Is that happening with this team now? There's something to be said for peer pressure as a means of team unity. I've heard it said on this board that 'The 90's are over-get over it' kind of comments but maybe these boys need to take a look at how the Huskers got the reputation they did. Take a peek at the past and see how those guys not only played but how they were rarely sitting down during a game-always cheering and supporting the team throughout the whole game...always talking to each other, encouraging, correcting, it was a thing of beauty in my opinion.

I hope everyone is having a very Happy Thanksgiving! I know I am! My daughter and son-in-law (who is a chef) are cooking for me! I just had surgery and am still a little sore so it's nice to give kitchen duty to someone else! GO BIG RED!

Injuries are part of the game. And a well coached team would have back ups ready to step in. We have not seen that with Bo yet. He plays the starter, no matter how bad they are hurt if they can move. See Lee, Martinez last year.

Most on here are true fans, that know this team, if Burkhead/Martinez go down the second game of the season with season ending injuries, who would be playing now. I have no idea. We have not seen a single one in real game situations for more than a play or two. They are not prepared, and we do nothing to prepare them. Which has an affect on their attitudes I am sure. Redshirts thrown away for a couple plays and set the bench the rest of the year. Poor Management, not prepared.

This is the very reason we have consistency problems. We never give the second string a chance to perform, never a cost for not playing your best.

If Kstate/Texas were making these comments they would be excuses, because we have them, they are facts. Bull$hit.

Injuries are part of the game. And a well coached team would have back ups ready to step in. We have not seen that with Bo yet. He plays the starter, no matter how bad they are hurt if they can move. See Lee, Martinez last year.

Most on here are true fans, that know this team, if Burkhead/Martinez go down the second game of the season with season ending injuries, who would be playing now. I have no idea. We have not seen a single one in real game situations for more than a play or two. They are not prepared, and we do nothing to prepare them. Which has an affect on their attitudes I am sure. Redshirts thrown away for a couple plays and set the bench the rest of the year. Poor Management, not prepared.

This is the very reason we have consistency problems. We never give the second string a chance to perform, never a cost

for not playing your best.

If Kstate/Texas were making these comments they would be excuses, because we have them, they are facts. Bull$hit.

I bet no one likes sitting next to you at Thankgiving dinner.

No, actually my grand daughter (3) just called and wanted to know when I would be there to take her to the park, so there.

I vent here, but in fact I have lost a lot of my faith in this program. I really do not see the things that some see from Bo, and I totally hope I am wrong. But we have had all these discussions over and over for the last ten years.

We are free falling, with no branch to stop us it appears. I always try to look at things and see them how they are, not how I want them to be, have always done it in everything in life, not jus the Huskers. Sometimes I am wrong, but normally end up being pretty close as time goes by.

I am hoping we are as good down the road that some think we will be, da skers gives me hope, as he seem to have inside information on the program now.

But no amout of your negative comments about me will make me change my mind on what I see on the field. Do I think it is enough to get Bo fired, not even close, but I do not see the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow most here see. I see a team that will end up around the top 20 at best, unless things change. I see recruiting dropping due to how the freshman are mangaed. I do not see conference championship any time close and do not see a NC in our future. And I can live with that as long as we become a real Nebraska team. We have not seen one since Tom's recruits left the system.

Headed off to see my grand daughter, dressed in her Husker Red, have some Turkey and let you guys fight it out. In the real world it has very little importance what any of us think. It is just a game.

Prayers to our Armed Forces and their families this time of year. Be Safe

Semper Fi

No, actually my grand daughter (3) just called and wanted to know when I would be there to take her to the park, so there.

I vent here, but in fact I have lost a lot of my faith in this program. I really do not see the things that some see from Bo, and I totally hope I am wrong. But we have had all these discussions over and over for the last ten years.

We are free falling, with no branch to stop us it appears. I always try to look at things and see them how they are, not how I want them to be, have always done it in everything in life, not jus the Huskers. Sometimes I am wrong, but normally end up being pretty close as time goes by.

I am hoping we are as good down the road that some think we will be, da skers gives me hope, as he seem to have inside information on the program now.

But no amout of your negative comments about me will make me change my mind on what I see on the field. Do I think it is enough to get Bo fired, not even close, but I do not see the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow most here see. I see a team that will end up around the top 20 at best, unless things change. I see recruiting dropping due to how the freshman

are mangaed. I do not see conference championship any time close and do not see a NC in our future. And I can live with that as long as we become a real Nebraska team. We have not seen one since Tom's recruits left the system.

Headed off to see my grand daughter, dressed in her Husker Red, have some Turkey and let you guys fight it out. In the real world it has very little importance what any of us think. It is just a game.

Semper Fi

Abridged version:

I'm smarter than all of you, and I love pointing it out. Yet I can't use proper punctuation and grammar. But don't bother getting in a twist because I'm above it all and know what's really important anyways.

Oops, I better drop in a military reference here so no one can possibly get offended.

-I just did your next 55 posts. Don't bother writing them.

I am not smarter than any of you. Your college grads or students.

I spent 26 years in the Marine Corps fighting for you to have the opportunity to say anything you like.

And if I need any guidance from you as to when or not to post I will personally ask you.

No need to respond.

But no amout of your negative comments about me will make me change my mind on what I see on the field. Do I think it is enough to get Bo fired, not even close, but I do not see the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow most here see. I see a team that will end up around the top 20 at best, unless things change. I see recruiting dropping due to how the freshman

are mangaed. I do not see conference championship any time close and do not see a NC in our future. And I can live with that as long as we become a real Nebraska team. We have not seen one since Tom's recruits left the system.

Semper Fi

Abridged version:

I'm smarter than all of you, and I love pointing it out. Yet I can't use proper punctuation and grammar. But don't bother getting in a twist because I'm above it all and know what's really important anyways.

Oops, I better drop in a military reference here so no one can possibly get offended.

-I just did your next 55 posts. Don't bother writing them.

i bet when you were a littlekid you got beat up a lot at school! :leghump:

Do you think the depth chart needs to be reevaluated iyo?

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any fair way for me to answer this. I'll admit that I don't follow our rosters closely nor do I pay close attention to who is on our depth chart, where they're from, whether they're a walk-on or not, etc. Can you better expand on your question or tell me your opinion on the matter, so I can gauge some perspective?

I think Matt Davidson was talking about the fact that our team doesn't seem to have any true leaders.

I heard this interview and I think I might have mentioned this in another thread. Davison might have a point, but he spends a lot more time watching this team and analyzing it than I do, so I don't know whether this is true or not. Davison thinks our players don't hold each other to high standards and aren't accountable for their actions on the field, citing that he never once saw players from the offense or defense go over to one another during the Michigan game. If this is in fact true, I don't know what to say. A lot of fans and analysts have said leadership is a problem on these teams, but I honestly don't know how to give a fair opinion on it given I'm not on the sidelines nor at practice.

I had several athletes that were seen by sports pyschologist. Postive reenforcement was a major path, vision success. It helped a couple, others saw little from it.

I must say I was very happy with today's game. They played real football most of the game. A little lax at the end, but the game was out of hand for Iowa.

Possibly last weeks game did us some good. Losses if learned from can be beneficial. Hats off to Bo for having the kids ready to play today. Hopefully this is the first step to correcting what ever has been wrong.

Sorry for being such a pain in the A$$ the last few days. Having total knee replacement on both knees in Jaunary and the cold and wet has made moving hell. Pain was no excuse for my comments. Sorry.