The "We Aren't Playing Our Best Players" Thread...

Enhance

Kyler Reed should probably be moved to WR. I realize Mike McNeil was lost after he moved, but he does not possess Kyler Reed's athleticism. It is clear he is, at best, a liability as a blocker, and it is unlikely this will change much. He needs to be on the field, that is for sure, but not at the detriment of limited play calling or blown blocking assignments.

I don't understand why we continually see inferior athletes on the field. I understand that Tim Marlowe is not the reason the game was lost on Saturday, and he seems like a great kid who plays his heart out, but I think most can agree that he is nowhere near as athletically gifted as Jamal Turner. If Pelini is keeping Turner out because of an attitude issue, there is a problem here. Turner is a freshman, and he is just out of the recruiting process, and if he truly has such a terrible attitude, he should not have been recruited if he did not fit Pelini's mold. I seriously doubt his personality has changed much in the past 12 months. If he doesn't have an attitude problem, he needs to be on the field.

Also, it is fairly convenient to just, off-the-cuff, say someone was injured after the fact as an excuse for why the player was not playing. I can understand this in a case or two, but not as much as we have seen. I don't buy it. If Courtney Osborne is injured and has been all year, he should not be suiting up and travelling and taking up a travel spot.

Also, it is fairly convenient to just, off-the-cuff, say someone was injured after the fact as an excuse for why the player was not playing. I can understand this in a case or two, but not as much as we have seen. I don't buy it. If Courtney Osborne is injured and has been all year, he should not be suiting up and travelling and taking up a travel spot.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

This is a tough one for me. I have been coaching for 10 years now and I have sent players on to D1 schools, NU inlcuded. It is tough when you see a player who is really good but that you can't trust to always work hard. That said, usually the biggest reason a guy wont see the field is if he won't hold on to the ball. Not sure if that is the case with any of the freshmen but who knows.

The overwhelming question is - do you trust the coaches?

I am inclined to trust the coaches. They are there at practice every day, after all.

However. That trust is eroding in the face of multiple meltdown games each of the four years Bo's been here. That trust is not guaranteed, nor is it logical to give it to the coaches unconditionally in the face of these results.

hell froze over :)

I can see why you'd say that, but I think that's mostly the product of the direction of many conversations. Bottom line for me is always "Nebraska." It's not Player X or Y, or this or that coach, or whatever offensive scheme we're talking about or whatever. Often those are the minutiae of the conversation, and I tend to get bogged down in that because I love typing at the Internet. :rolleyes: :D But the real, true, end-of-the-day bottom line for me is what's best for this program. Often that's support for the players/coaches, but that's not unwavering support, forever and ever amen.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Motivation? Experience for younger defensive backs seeing the field? Taylor Martinez was injured against ISU last year and he still went.

I know coaches tear their hair out with the dilemma of whether to play a talented kid who doesn't practice well. Should everything they have been preaching since fall camp be thrown out the window as to practicing 100%? I don't know the answer but I hope they can figure out how to put a better product on the field next year.

This is something I'd like to touch on, as I still haven't quite seen what I'm looking for in this thread.

Many names are being mentioned for guys we want to see play, but that's not what the OP is about. We've stated players we want to see out there, but no evident support as to why they aren't, save for injuries which knapplc touched on.

More or less, for those who think we're not playing who we should be playing, what support gives you that conclusion? Do you play somebody who doesn't practice well? Do you play someone who is just as risky to make a bonehead play as they are a good one at this point in the season, and is that worth the risk to you? Do you know for a fact one player deserves to be out there over another?

We can't support this conclusion because we aren't there to see what goes in practice, so we have to take what the coaches tell us as gospel. But I think we also all know that whatever tidbits of information we get from Bo have to be taken with a grain of salt. It really seems to pain him to have to give out any information. I know it's perogative as a coach as to what information gets released, but the continual shroud of secrecy gets olds. No, it's not our God given right to know anything that goes on within the program, but if in fact Smith or Osbourn (sp?) are hurt, is it doing any damage for people to know the truth.

Yes, at this point you play someone who is just as risky to make a boneheaded play as a good one. Is that goig to be a drastic drop off from what we're seeing on the field right now. Guess what , when the guys on the field on Saturday aren't producing, it's time to try something different.

In Turners case, if he's a malcontent during practice, or he's disruptive or acts in a manner disruptive to the team, that's one thing. But if he just doens't practice well, thats nuts to not at least give him a chance on the field. The fact is, some players just are not practice players but come to life when they're under the lights. Ask anyone who has coached for any length of time, I bet they've had a player like this. The bottom line is, especially last Saturday, what did we have to lose by dipping into the bench and giving guys a shot?

I sent a broadcast tweet to Sam McKewon, Steve Sipple, Brian Christopherson, Dirk Chatelain and Jon Nayatawa asking someone to ask Bo about a medical redshirt for Courtney Osborne. I think the answer to that question may go a long way toward the "doghouse" theory being proven/debunked.

I'd imagine Bo to bristle at that question and for him to go on attack mode. Most people don't like being called on their BS, and even less do at a public press-conference.

• Fire 1

I know coaches tear their hair out with the dilemma of whether to play a talented kid who doesn't practice well. Should everything they have been preaching since fall camp be thrown out the window as to practicing 100%? I don't know the answer but I hope they can figure out how to put a better product on the field next year.

This is something I'd like to touch on, as I still haven't quite seen what I'm looking for in this thread.

Many names are being mentioned for guys we want to see play, but that's not what the OP is about. We've stated players we want to see out there, but no evident support as to why they aren't, save for injuries which knapplc touched on.

More or less, for those who think we're not playing who we should be playing, what support gives you that conclusion? Do you play somebody who doesn't practice well? Do you play someone who is just as risky to make a bonehead play as they are a good one at this point in the season, and is that worth the risk to you? Do you know for a fact one player deserves to be out there over another?

I'd venture to guess that no one has any proof of a player being better than a player on the field. Turner caught balls early, and it's easy to remember those because everyone was so excited about him. I highly doubt anyone can remember anything wrong that he's done on the field....but I guarantee you the coaches know.

We all think we know the best player for the job, ESPECIALLY after a loss. But from you OP, I highly doubt anyone can show any type of proof.

This is more or less what I'm getting at - we have no way of determining what reason a player is or isn't on the field. Is there something to the proverbial Bo "dog house"? Maybe. Does he lie and say people have injuries in order to lessen the flak he takes? Perhaps. But for a guy who loves his players, and whose players love him back, it'd be tough for me to sit there and be a part of a team if the coach is lying about why I'm not playing, or if he's unjustly sitting me just because he can. Know what I mean?

So in other words this is a thread about Turner, Heard, Green and Abdullah?

No. This is about the team in general, and to be honest I wasn't even thinking about the Freshman backs or Turner when I wrote this thread.

This is about fans and posters indirectly saying Bo plays favorites and doesn't put the best player on the field.

We can't support this conclusion because we aren't there to see what goes in practice, so we have to take what the coaches tell us as gospel. But I think we also all know that whatever tidbits of information we get from Bo have to be taken with a grain of salt. It really seems to pain him to have to give out any information. I know it's perogative as a coach as to what information gets released, but the continual shroud of secrecy gets olds. No, it's not our God given right to know anything that goes on within the program, but if in fact Smith or Osbourn (sp?) are hurt, is it doing any damage for people to know the truth.

Yes, at this point you play someone who is just as risky to make a boneheaded play as a good one. Is that goig to be a drastic drop off from what we're seeing on the field right now. Guess what , when the guys on the field on Saturday aren't producing, it's time to try something different.

This is also the brunt of why I created the thread. As mentioned, we have no way of deducing whether or not Bo is playing the best players. It's very well possible somebody is doing bad in classes or not performing well (at all) in practice. Is it frustrating for players we want to see playing not out there? Absolutely, especially when we don't know why. That said, Pelini is a whole-hearted believer in playing how you practice. If you don't practice well, and ergo aren't seeing playing time, I really don't see this as anybody's fault but the players'. This is how Bo does things, and its how most coaches do things. As Devil's Advocate - perhaps we should be harping on the players more than we do on Bo. Even then, it's ultimately Bo's job to get someone to do their own job.

All of that said, I do think its time to start getting these guys more PT, regardless of their practice efforts. At this point, it's clear that whoever is practicing well is starting, but they're not doing a very good job when they start save for a few players. I realize I'm contradicting my overall theme by saying this, but at this point, what do we lose?

I'd venture to guess that no one has any proof of a player being better than a player on the field. Turner caught balls early, and it's easy to remember those because everyone was so excited about him. I highly doubt anyone can remember anything wrong that he's done on the field....but I guarantee you the coaches know.

We all think we know the best player for the job, ESPECIALLY after a loss. But from you OP, I highly doubt anyone can show any type of proof.

This is more or less what I'm getting at - we have no way of determining what reason a player is or isn't on the field. Is there something to the proverbial Bo "dog house"? Maybe. Does he lie and say people have injuries in order to lessen the flak he takes? Perhaps. But for a guy who loves his players, and whose players love him back, it'd be tough for me to sit there and be a part of a team if the coach is lying about why I'm not playing, or if he's unjustly sitting me just because he can. Know what I mean?

So in other words this is a thread about Turner, Heard, Green and Abdullah?

No. This is about the team in general, and to be honest I wasn't even thinking about the Freshman backs or Turner when I wrote this thread.

This is about fans and posters indirectly saying Bo plays favorites and doesn't put the best player on the field.

This is also the brunt of why I created the thread. As mentioned, we have no way of deducing whether or not Bo is playing the best players. It's very well possible somebody is doing bad in classes or not performing well (at all) in practice. Is it frustrating for players we want to see playing not out there? Absolutely, especially when we don't know why. That said, Pelini is a whole-hearted believer in playing how you practice. If you don't practice well, and ergo aren't seeing playing time, I really don't see this as anybody's fault but the players'. This is how Bo does things, and its how most coaches do things. As Devil's Advocate - perhaps we should be harping on the players more than we do on Bo. Even then, it's ultimately Bo's job to get someone to do their own job.

All of that said, I do think its time to start getting these guys more PT, regardless of their practice efforts. At this point, it's clear that whoever is practicing well is starting, but they're not doing a very good job when they start save for a few players. I realize I'm contradicting my overall theme by saying this, but at this point, what do we lose?

This is probably a really bad example, but it's the only one I can think of off the top of my head. Allen Iverson was a notoriously bad practicer (if he even showed up to practice), but a perennial all-star and MVP canidate. For some guys the focus kicks up that much more in game time, it's not even a conscious thing with most, they're not trying to be poor in practice, it's just the way some are wired. I think that's one of the most difficult aspects of coaching, where do you draw the line with players about earning their playing time, because each player is so different in how their practice correlates to their game performance.

This staff loves to use the "practice" excuse. Which I think is short sighted and, rather dumb. The world ain't fair. Some people are simply gamers. (and yes, on this topic I agree with Allen Iverson, "practice? practice? it's not a game, it's practice."

If the playbooks are so complicated that talented guys can't get on the field, well, if you are 11-0 and challenging for a NC, then that theory is working for you.

If you are 8-3 and losing bad and winning ugly, perhaps there is room to rethink that philosophy.

• Fire 1