Taylor Martinez

CFHusker

It is sad when Nebraska fans throw him under the bus. Wanting robinson over him and this guy and that guy. He is here. The others either turned us down or were never offered. This kid is here for the love of the the game, I doubt he seriously thinks he is going to the NFL.At the rate he is going he will surpass all by a great amount, and could easily be third after the bowl game. Hopefully he improves more before the bowl game.

We are comparing a Junior with a sophmore, that is on pace to be the best QB (statiscally) Nebraska has ever had. I agree he is not the runner he was last year. I think damage was done that has not healed and the coaching staff is holding him from running because he is the best we have. There may be some tendency to protect himself too. He had two very painful injuries last year, and supposed tougher men, would not play with either of them. Be thankful we have him.

2010 - 965 yards rushing (played in 13 games, sat out ISU game i think)

2011 - 837 yards rushing (played in 12 games, so far)

i was not aware that he had that many yards rushing, the difference between this year is that he has done it quitely, he hasnt had a 200 yard game like ksu last year.

Here is a correction on the Martinez stat line. I did my own research.

Taylor did not surpass Eric Crouch, because Crouch sits alone at the top by about 2200 yards. Taylor passed Jerry Tagge for 6th all time.

The top 10 are.

1. Eric Crouch - 7,915

2. Zac Taylor - 5,777

3. Tommie Frazier - 5,476

4. Joe Ganz - 5,466

5. Jammal Lord - 5,421

6. TAYLOR MARTINEZ - 5,406

7. Jerry Tagge - 5,283

8. Dave Humm - 5,027

9. Steve Taylor - 4,940

10. Mike Rozier - 4,780

Turner Gill dropped off the list at 4,634

Thank you for the research.... I could have sworn that Davidson said "Crouch" as I was standing at concessions....they kind of sound a like.....right.....Tagge - Crouch.....lol......hell, maybe I had one too many before the game.

At any rate, as someone mentioned, he will more than likely be 3rd after only 2 years.... and yes, the 2 most difficult years (freshman-sophomore) with a below average OL, a lot of dropped balls, and more scrutiny than any other qb in recent times. I am not saying he will win any NC or even a Big 10, but I think the kid is better than some give him credit for... he has also played injured at least 35% of his games.

Let's just keep an open mind......he has a lot to work on, but he has "potential".

I was not talking about overall yardage, he just does not seem the same to me in the way he attacks when he does. I think there are some lingering problems, either physical or mental, not sure.

He ran with reckless abandon last year, this year not so much it seems to me. JMHO.

Here is a correction on the Martinez stat line. I did my own research.

Taylor did not surpass Eric Crouch, because Crouch sits alone at the top by about 2200 yards. Taylor passed Jerry Tagge for 6th all time.

The top 10 are.

1. Eric Crouch - 7,915

2. Zac Taylor - 5,777

3. Tommie Frazier - 5,476

4. Joe Ganz - 5,466

5. Jammal Lord - 5,421

6. TAYLOR MARTINEZ - 5,406

7. Jerry Tagge - 5,283

8. Dave Humm - 5,027

9. Steve Taylor - 4,940

10. Mike Rozier - 4,780

Turner Gill dropped off the list at 4,634

Thank you for the research.... I could have sworn that Davidson said "Crouch" as I was standing at concessions....they kind of sound a like.....right.....Tagge - Crouch.....lol......hell, maybe I had one too many before the game.

At any rate, as someone mentioned, he will more than likely be 3rd after only 2 years.... and yes, the 2 most difficult years (freshman-sophomore) with a below average OL, a lot of dropped balls, and more scrutiny than any other qb in recent times. I am not saying he will win any NC or even a Big 10, but I think the kid is better than some give him credit for... he has also played injured at least 35% of his games.

Let's just keep an open mind......he has a lot to work on, but he has "potential".

100% agree.

Just imagine what outrageous numbers he would have if he had an OLine even half as good as Frazier's or Frost's? Heck, even 25% as good. Imagine his passing numbers if he would have had Swift, Peterson, Davison, etc other than....(well, no need to state names)?

I think his lack of rushing big plays this year was because of a combination of reasons....becoming more of a game manager, playing to avoid contact, poor Oline play (only SuperRex was great enough to plow through a defender or two to get to the LOS) and he's still not 100% back from last year's injuries.

My guess is that our offense starts to tear people apart next year as we "should" start getting some very highly talented road graders and even develop some small depth. SuperRex is super, the young wrs should be even better, etc.

He's improved as a passer but has greatly regressed as a runner. I don't think he ever fully came back from the ankle sprain and turf toe. 2010 Taylor rarely got caught through the hole, this year it happens regularly.

This might also have something to do with the different style of play when it comes to running the football. If I'm not mistaken, most of Martinez' yards last year came off of designed QB runs or the zone read. We rarely ran option, at least not to the extent we have this year which has been quite different. I think Martinez still struggles with reading gaps in the lines and hitting those gaps. But if he goes straight forward untouched, that's when his speed shines.

He's improved as a passer but has greatly regressed as a runner. I don't think he ever fully came back from the ankle sprain and turf toe. 2010 Taylor rarely got caught through the hole, this year it happens regularly.

This might also have something to do with the different style of play when it comes to running the football. If I'm not mistaken, most of Martinez' yards last year came off of designed QB runs or the zone read. We rarely ran option, at least not to the extent we have this year which has been quite different. I think Martinez still struggles with reading gaps in the lines and hitting those gaps. But if he goes straight forward untouched, that's when his speed shines.

I feel like we never got to see what his true "original" speed was like against good defenses. He torched lesser teams but when we got to the meat of the schedule he was handcuffed my injuries. The texas game is all we really had to see and that wasn't all that impressive, similar to this year running wise I think.

We did see him smack mid-level teams in UW and KSU last year. They have legitimate speed on the defensive side of the ball and he really made them look bad. Especially against KSU, he read the gap up the middle, took two steps, and was gone. This year, the same type of hole would yield a 10-15 yard gain. You don't realize how effectively Taylor can kill a drive when he single-handedly creates 1 play 80 yard drives. Without the big play ability, he has more opportunities to make mistakes. His decision making has gotten better, but between bad decisions and poor execution, something is bound to go wrong on a lot of drives.

• Fire 1

I really expect the coaching staff to "turn" Taylor loose next year. You could tell that he was ordered to slide and get out of bounds instead of taking shots. This made him run cautiously.... With a freshman back up QB, Bo didn't want to chance any possible injury. Carnes may be an athlete, but assuming he doesn't know the offense and "checks" that Taylor knows..... after another year in the system, Brion will be more suited to play if necessary.... This means, Taylor's ankle should be completely healed (physically and mentally) , and the staff should feel comfortable turning him loose.

Taylor has definitely improved as a game manager, and he has really been a solid player for us all year. However, does any else feel that the best quarterback on this team plays wide receiver and sits on the bench? Complete and utter waste of JT this year.

Has anyone ever seen him pass? From his highlight video all I could tell is that he's faster than crap and is probably still running in Florida somewhere. That's probably why he hasn't played much for us this year. So, for all I know, he could be an inept passer with blazing speed ('10 Dennard Robinson, anyone?).

• Fire 1

Bo said repeatedly throughout the season that the gap between Carnes and Martinez is large. Beck is a philosophical coach and I'm sure Taylor will spend a large amount of time this offseason watching film from his drop back passes. Taylor ran on instinct last year and was lights out until he hurt his ankle. He was learning an offensive philosophy this year and played really well considering having a new QB coach and offensive coordinator, rookie o line, and no Helu. I can't wait for next year when Rex is a senior, he's got the system down, o-line is legit.

What impressed me the most this season was Taylors ability to handle the Nebraska Fanbase megaphone. Our fans can change their minds on a player faster than Fox News. With QB's like Scott Frost, Turner Gill, Tommy Frazier, and others, the pressure Taylor is under is tremendous. Props to him for handling that like a man.

Ready for the SEC in the bowl game. GBR.

Bo said repeatedly throughout the season that the gap between Carnes and Martinez is large. Beck is a philosophical coach and I'm sure Taylor will spend a large amount of time this offseason watching film from his drop back passes. Taylor ran on instinct last year and was lights out until he hurt his ankle. He was learning an offensive philosophy this year and played really well considering having a new QB coach and offensive coordinator, rookie o line, and no Helu. I can't wait for next year when Rex is a senior, he's got the system down, o-line is legit.

What impressed me the most this season was Taylors ability to handle the Nebraska Fanbase megaphone. Our fans can change their minds on a player faster than Fox News. With QB's like Scott Frost, Turner Gill, Tommy Frazier, and others, the pressure Taylor is under is tremendous. Props to him for handling that like a man.

Ready for the SEC in the bowl game. GBR.

Agree with everything here, aside from the o-line being legit next year. That I don't know about. We lose three starters. The good news is A-Rod, Choi, Sirles, Long, and Moore have all got a decent amount of experience. I don't know how "legit" they'll be though.