Ohio State officially interviewed Pelini for job

Nexus

People tend to bottom-line things and that is, of course, to be expected. That said, assessing how a coach is doing from simply looking at a record --- a record that includes non-conference games against mostly patsies, no less --- is not a complete enough assessment. If record and record alone is the metric, then we should at least look only at conference-level record + bowls. By that measure, Bo has won 67% of his games. That is... OK. Not bad. Not good if the standard is to be nationally significant. But not bad either. I think that those who state that a 67% winning record in conference play+ bowls would not cut it at major programs are correct. If one were to look at the NU record against ranked teams... that would be... well humbling..

At Bama, Ohio State, USC, LSU, Boise State, Michigan, Oklahoma, Oregon, etc. such a record would not settle well. Texas, you would have to think, must be re-evaluating their coaching staff by now. Does NU aspire to be among that elite a crowd? If so, then the 67% winning percentage (w/o a sustained trend heading upwards) should not settle well.

I think alot of people think of nebraska as a small time school, and say wow look at what hes doing there with little to no talent. Imagine what he can do at a big school.

1620 the Zone says that Bo told LJS's Steve Sipple that there is NO TRUTH WHAT SO EVER to the rumors that are floating around. So we can put this thread to rest!

Because I'm sure Bo would tell us if he actually had interviewed. Just like Urban Meyer has been telling the truth about not interviewing at OSU the last two weeks...

• Fire 3

1620 the Zone says that Bo told LJS's Steve Sipple that there is NO TRUTH WHAT SO EVER to the rumors that are floating around. So we can put this thread to rest!

Because I'm sure Bo would tell us if he actually had interviewed. Just like Urban Meyer has been telling the truth about not interviewing at OSU the last two weeks...

I'm sure. Don't know why you would be skeptical. Also, define 'interviewed'? This kind of stuff just sticks in my craw. I hate these never ending rumors every time a big school has an opening. http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husker_Extra_Group/Husker_Extra/blog/pelini_denies_report_.html

There's an article here from Novemeber 23 that lays-out more detail of the supposed discussions. This information was not repeated anywhere else, and the "verbal sparring" between Oz and OSU admins sounds like embellishment.

In fact, according to a trusted source, Smith was still exploring the option of hiring Nebraska coach and former Buckeye safety Bo Pelini and as recently as late last week was putting out feelers to other conference administrators asking if they would approve of Ohio State going after a current conference head coach. The source said that information got back to Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne and when Pelini admitted he was contacted by OSU and expressing interest in the job, the two went at it verbally.

Still, the Pelini experiment was short-lived and not well-received by the OSU board of trustees, who continued to placate Meyer and his agent, Trace Armstrong, a former NFL defensive lineman.

I don't know about anyone else but I find this statement hilarious. Can anyone on this board really see Dr. Tom Osborne yelling at Bo? I'm sorry, it's just too funny for words to picture!! Can I see them discussing this issue? Sure. And let's be real: This Jeff Rapp guy is all about getting reaction. An 'interview' to him could be nothing more than a phone call but the facts are this: (I think) I'm sure that Bo would have to have permission from the university before he could pursue a face to face interview. I'm listening to 1620 the Zone right now and Damon Benning is on there. Kugler asked him if he believed the rumore and Damon said no. Kugler said he was sceptical too.

If Bo is unhappy at Nebraska then that is another story completely. I just can't see him leaving. He has established himself here, he and his family have embraced Nebraska and here is the most important thing to remember: If Mama is happy EVERYONE is happy. Do you really see Mrs. P having to move/start all over again? I just can't see it. :)

Yes, yes, yes! Some people just don't seem to get it...

So you CAN see Tom and Bo yelling at each other or You agree that this Bo is leaving story is bunk? Please clarify-Thanks :)

I can see it, some people couldn't imagine this, but Bo has had a history of this and TO thinks this act is running thin, you don't have to have knowledge of the program to see that.

Between no-name bloggers and sports writers vying to break the next story with little to no repercussions for getting the story wrong and coaches like Bo that are tight lipped and will flat out lie about internal things like this - I try not to waste energy getting all worked up about these sorta things till something actually happens.

The problem is, something like this will come out and skew a fan's perception of their coach/program... even if it's not true and never happened. The complete opposite might be the truth but for the fan that is influenced by rumors, their reality is already distorted.

In the end, a handful of individuals can change the perception of a good percentage of a fan base with what seem like harmless little rumors or projections at the time.

There's probably some good metaphors and philosophical musings for this kinda thing.

Confucius says, 'The hungry fan who eats rumors will live with a pain in their gut.'

I'm skeptical Ohio State interviewed Bo. For one, Ohio State is looking for a "wow" hire. I don't think Bo has done quite enough to be considered a "wow" hire. For this very reason, I highly doubt Texas if they replace Mack Brown go after a coordinator or such. They're going to go after the absolute best HC that 5-7 million/year can buy.

Yes... I am sure that will put all of this to rest... :sarcasm

Yeah, you're right. We'll have to dedicate another 3 pages to talk about how we still think that Bo is leaving because the aquarium guy knows a guy that knows a guy's Dad who knows a guy...yep right ;)

Whether Bo did or did not interview with OSU, I don't think he's happy at NU and I don't think he'll be here for more than maybe one more season. I have no knowledge, have no sources, this is just my feeling. But when he does leave, and he will leave, I hope it's done in a timely manner and leaves us with a chance to find someone good.

I have no issue with Bo trying to get the OSU job, as far as how I feel about him. He went to that school. He's from Ohio. Why would he NOT try to get that job?

To be fair there is a difference between expressing interest and a willingness to discuss a position and going after it.