FORGET STOOPS, WE WANT... ZOOK?!

Apparently one of the old boys at the Rivals board has a source claiming TO wanted to bring Zooker on board. Near the end of the thread though he said his source claimed the buyout from Illinois is too large and it's not looking like a slam dunk to get Zook now...Anyway, I thought it was a really interesting possibility. That guy can recruit circles around just about everyone on our staff right now besides possibly JP, but he probably gets a lot less face time with recruits being RC now. I do think Els and Raymond will eventually pay dividends down the road, and Garrison has impressed me already in his first year. He looks to be an aggressive recruiter that knows how to relate to recruits being a younger guy.

I'd LOVE the idea of Zook bringing in more high :star guys for Bo to coach up.

Source: http://nebraska.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=181&tid=150478431&mid=150478431&sid=928&style=2

P.S.: Yeah, I just used another message board as a source for a post in a message board.

I *think* in a lot of cases the exit clause when canning a coach only gets paid if the guy doesn't get another coaching job. So if we were to make him an offer, it would have to be enough to make up for the free money he'd get by doing nothing or working TV. I'm not sure of that, but I think I've heard that elsewhere.

Zook is a great recruiter. I'm always uneasy about that though. Remember how we were all excited about John Blake, and how we're probably lucky he never got us on probation? Sometimes there's a reason these guys are great recruiters, and it's not a reason the NCAA likes.

I *think* in a lot of cases the exit clause when canning a coach only gets paid if the guy doesn't get another coaching job. So if we were to make him an offer, it would have to be enough to make up for the free money he'd get by doing nothing or working TV. I'm not sure of that, but I think I've heard that elsewhere.

Zook is a great recruiter. I'm always uneasy about that though. Remember how we were all excited about John Blake, and how we're probably lucky he never got us on probation? Sometimes there's a reason these guys are great recruiters, and it's not a reason the NCAA likes.

I think you need to be careful saying good recruiter equals crook.

Why do I have to careful? A lot of people throw around the notion, probably correct, that everyone in the SEC cheats, and others nod their heads. But I mention Zook, who btw gained much of his fame as a recruiter as an SEC coach, and you warn me? All I said that I was uneasy, and that sometimes it was for bad reasons.

I'll trust that if Osborne hires him, Osborne thinks he's clean (or clean enough) and that's good enough for me. Someone on Rivals claiming that TO wants to hire him isn't proof for me.

Why do I have to careful? A lot of people throw around the notion, probably correct, that everyone in the SEC cheats, and others nod their heads. But I mention Zook, who btw gained much of his fame as a recruiter as an SEC coach, and you warn me? All I said that I was uneasy, and that sometimes it was for bad reasons.

I'll trust that if Osborne hires him, Osborne thinks he's clean (or clean enough) and that's good enough for me. Someone on Rivals claiming that TO wants to hire him isn't proof for me.

It's a lazy generalization.

Usually it works two ways. The guy gets a lump sum like Turner Gill is getting or they deduct the coaches new salary from what he would get from his old contract. For example when we let Frank go he was due 900,000 a year (number used as an example) and Ohio only paid him 600,000. Nebraska only has to pay him 300,000 For each year on his contract that he was to work at NU. I've never heard of a guy getting fired and having a buy out or restriction not to work or forfeit all the money due to him. I'm sure there would be legal issues since you were dismissing him.

So who ever is stating this most likely has a lot of bong resin clouding his reasoning.

Usually it works two ways. The guy gets a lump sum like Turner Gill is getting or they deduct the coaches new salary from what he would get from his old contract. For example when we let Frank go he was due 900,000 a year (number used as an example) and Ohio only paid him 600,000. Nebraska only has to pay him 300,000 For each year on his contract that he was to work at NU. I've never heard of a guy getting fired and having a buy out or restriction not to work or forfeit all the money due to him. I'm sure there would be legal issues since you were dismissing him.

So who ever is stating this most likely has a lot of bong resin clouding his reasoning.

What I don't understand--never have and never will--is why college coaches have buyouts in their contract... In no other profession that I can think of does this happen. If a Walmart employee gets canned for no reason, should Walmart be required to pay them whatever they were making to make up for it?

This probably isn't the best analogy because Walmart employees don't have contracts, but still...

Ya, you're right, that sounds more like what I've heard.

Probably someone confused this with buying out a still-employed coach's contract.

Having fun with this hypothetical if Zook were hired. I wonder if it'd be the first time a former player hired his former coach in Div. I football? Zook was Pelini's position coach at tOSU.

June Jones hired Jerry Glanville a few years back at Hawaii.