FORGET STOOPS, WE WANT... ZOOK?!

Well that nearly proves it right folks? IF both this Rivals guy and COMPTON have heard it was a possibility, there's probably legs to this rumor within the program. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Now all we need is for the saltwater aquarium guy to come out and confirm this and we'd have the Trifecta of Truth all agreeing it is true. ;)

I *think* in a lot of cases the exit clause when canning a coach only gets paid if the guy doesn't get another coaching job. So if we were to make him an offer, it would have to be enough to make up for the free money he'd get by doing nothing or working TV. I'm not sure of that, but I think I've heard that elsewhere.

Zook is a great recruiter. I'm always uneasy about that though. Remember how we were all excited about John Blake, and how we're probably lucky he never got us on probation? Sometimes there's a reason these guys are great recruiters, and it's not a reason the NCAA likes.

Usually it works two ways. The guy gets a lump sum like Turner Gill is getting or they deduct the coaches new salary from what he would get from his old contract. For example when we let Frank go he was due 900,000 a year (number used as an example) and Ohio only paid him 600,000. Nebraska only has to pay him 300,000 For each year on his contract that he was to work at NU. I've never heard of a guy getting fired and having a buy out or restriction not to work or forfeit all the money due to him. I'm sure there would be legal issues since you were dismissing him.

So who ever is stating this most likely has a lot of bong resin clouding his reasoning.

What I don't understand--never have and never will--is why college coaches have buyouts in their contract... In no other profession that I can think of does this happen. If a Walmart employee gets canned for no reason, should Walmart be required to pay them whatever they were making to make up for it?

This probably isn't the best analogy because Walmart employees don't have contracts, but still...

It's a severance package, more or less.

Any way to get stoops and zook or do we simply not have enough room on the staff.

That would be a lot of egos, I just can't see that happening. Although, I would be all for it....

if you go into any room full of football coaches, whether its Hickville High, Creighton Prep, Podunk State College, or the Green Bay Packers, that room will always be full of egos.

I *think* in a lot of cases the exit clause when canning a coach only gets paid if the guy doesn't get another coaching job. So if we were to make him an offer, it would have to be enough to make up for the free money he'd get by doing nothing or working TV. I'm not sure of that, but I think I've heard that elsewhere.

Zook is a great recruiter. I'm always uneasy about that though. Remember how we were all excited about John Blake, and how we're probably lucky he never got us on probation? Sometimes there's a reason these guys are great recruiters, and it's not a reason the NCAA likes.

Usually it works two ways. The guy gets a lump sum like Turner Gill is getting or they deduct the coaches new salary from what he would get from his old contract. For example when we let Frank go he was due 900,000 a year (number used as an example) and Ohio only paid him 600,000. Nebraska only has to pay him 300,000 For each year on his contract that he was to work at NU. I've never heard of a guy getting fired and having a buy out or restriction not to work or forfeit all the money due to him. I'm sure there would be legal issues since you were dismissing him.

So who ever is stating this most likely has a lot of bong resin clouding his reasoning.

What I don't understand--never have and never will--is why college coaches have buyouts in their contract... In no other profession that I can think of does this happen. If a Walmart employee gets canned for no reason, should Walmart be required to pay them whatever they were making to make up for it?

This probably isn't the best analogy because Walmart employees don't have contracts, but still...

Your right the Wal mart Employees don't have contracts but the majority of the high ranking corporate officials that sign NDA's and negotiate what they will earn usually have buyouts in their contracts.

When you get into high-profile professional positions there is usually a buy-out on a contract. CEO's, VP's, etc. Hell, a lot of pro athletes get guaranteed contracts, which means they get paid either way. Its all the same...

Apparently one of the old boys at the Rivals board has a source claiming TO wanted to bring Zooker on board. Near the end of the thread though he said his source claimed the buyout from Illinois is too large and it's not looking like a slam dunk to get Zook now...Anyway, I thought it was a really interesting possibility. That guy can recruit circles around just about everyone on our staff right now besides possibly JP, but he probably gets a lot less face time with recruits being RC now. I do think Els and Raymond will eventually pay dividends down the road, and Garrison has impressed me already in his first year. He looks to be an aggressive recruiter that knows how to relate to recruits being a younger guy.

I'd LOVE the idea of Zook bringing in more high :star guys for Bo to coach up.

Source: http://nebraska.riva...sid=928&style=2

P.S.: Yeah, I just used another message board as a source for a post in a message board.

Hiring Ron Zook would be a very interesting and a very intriguing hire by Nebraska. This whole week I have thought that we would go after Mike Stoops, and I still think that he has a high possibility of coming to Lincoln, but I could also see where Ron Zook would be a great hire for us as well.

I could see a scenario where Bo promotes John Papuchis to Defensive Coordinator and has Ron Zook help coach the D-Line and take over JP's role as Recruiting Coordinator. I think that could be a very strong set-up for Nebraska.

No matter who we hire I have complete faith in Bo & in Tom Osborne to make a strong hire for this football program.

Apparently one of the old boys at the Rivals board has a source claiming TO wanted to bring Zooker on board. Near the end of the thread though he said his source claimed the buyout from Illinois is too large and it's not looking like a slam dunk to get Zook now...Anyway, I thought it was a really interesting possibility. That guy can recruit circles around just about everyone on our staff right now besides possibly JP, but he probably gets a lot less face time with recruits being RC now. I do think Els and Raymond will eventually pay dividends down the road, and Garrison has impressed me already in his first year. He looks to be an aggressive recruiter that knows how to relate to recruits being a younger guy.

P.S.: Yeah, I just used another message board as a source for a post in a message board.

Hiring Ron Zook would be a very interesting and a very intriguing hire by Nebraska. This whole week I have thought that we would go after Mike Stoops, and I still think that he has a high possibility of coming to Lincoln, but I could also see where Ron Zook would be a great hire for us as well.

I could see a scenario where Bo promotes John Papuchis to Defensive Coordinator and has Ron Zook help coach the D-Line and take over JP's role as Recruiting Coordinator. I think that could be a very strong set-up for Nebraska.

No matter who we hire I have complete faith in Bo & in Tom Osborne to make a strong hire for this football program.

You can't honestly think Ron Zook would come for anything less than a Defensive Coordinator title? He isn't going to take a job as a position coach after being a head coach at two major universities.

You can't honestly think Ron Zook would come for anything less than a Defensive Coordinator title? He isn't going to take a job as a position coach after being a head coach at two major universities.

If Bo were to want Zook it's either Defensive Coordinator or bust.

It happens all the time in many professions and even with "Walmart employees", but in an indirect manner.

Employers pay an unemployment tax to the state based on their payroll and other factors. Laid off workers who are eligible for unemployment go to the state to collect unemployment.

It's essentially the same thing, but it's handled by the state instead of your agent who negotiates your contract.

----

College coaches have buyouts in their contracts as part of their compensation. It's akin to bonuses you get for bowl games, etc.... it's just one part of the formula to determine compensation.

The buyout aspect of the compensation that is negotiated is supposed to function just like the Walmart employee being able to collect unemployment from the state.

If Turner Gill went down to the unemployment office in Lawrence Kansas, he won't find a weekly check from the state for $17,000. (44% of $2 mil annual salary), so it's negotiated into his contract that the university pay him - in his case 100% of his salary for the next 3 years.

----

RE : Zook

I find this whole discussion interesting. Didn't know much about Zook before all this. Seems like a decent prospect. What the hell happened at IU though? Who do they think they are?