DC Candidates?

Ye

Speaking of Fairbury hotdogs, anyone ever get their giant hotdogs? They're at least twice the size of regular hotdogs. These are my go-to dogs for Chili Dogs. You have to use a brat bun, but they're great.

You can buy them at Leon's, just south of South Street, near 33rd.

Yep, but I go with the

015900140619.jpg

Can't go wrong with a 1/4lb dog.

lil fyi.....The Husker football Wikipedia website hasn't taken down or modified Mike Stoops being listed on the Husker staff. It's been on there for over a week now I think. Typically, when information that isn't legit/verifiable is posted on Wikipedia, moderators will take it down. Well....Mike's name is still on the staff listing...................interesting............hmmm

I finally found it! It's still there!! Interesting!! I know it's Wikipedia but still interesting, especially since it's still on there! http://en.wikipedia....uskers_football

I just deleted him. http://en.wikipedia....uskers_football Got to love Wikipedia.

You took it down.....yet failed to replace his name with "Badgerfan".

Sounds as though Tom is already setting things up for a less than splashy hire..
"There are all kinds of people saying, 'Well, you've got to go out and spend $800,000 on a coordinator,' " Osborne said during an appearance on Sports Nightly. "But believe me, spending a lot of money and trying to get some name does not guarantee wins. And you can see that all over the place.
That is just because TO is trying to downplay the situation before he lets everyone know hat we can't hire Badgerfan. The Fairbury hotdog request was just too high of an asking price.
We cannot hire him anyway. He would install the Cosgrove defense whenever we played Wisconsin.

Isn't that the defense we played this year?

Not even close. The 2 blowouts at the hands of the Badgers and Wolverines were the result of a comedy of errors commited by our QB and special teams for the most part. Our defense was not great by any means this year (with the exception of Iowa and Michigan St.), but it was not Cosgrove like either.

The 2 blowouts at the hands of the Badgers and Wolverines were the result of a comedy of errors commited by our QB and special teams for the most part. Our defense was not great by any means this year (with the exception of Iowa and Michigan St.), but it was not Cosgrove like either.

We must be watching different sports. The QB is responsible for the points given up by the defense?

Against Wisconsin we gave up TD drives of:

9 plays, 91 yards

6 plays, 77 yards

6 plays, 54 yards

5 plays, 63 yards

7 plays, 42 yards

14 plays, 81 yards

13 plays, 73 yards

That's not the QB's fault, that's a defense that can't get off the field. Wisconsin's scoring drives averaged 69 yards. How does the QB have anything to do with that? That's all on the defense.

Against Michigan we gave up scoring drives of:

8 plays, 81 yards (TD)

9 plays, 30 yards (FG)

12 plays, 74 yards (TD)

7 plays, 33 yards (TD)

8 plays, 50 yards (TD)

10 plays, 86 yards (TD)

1 play, 33 yards, (TD)

Again, that's a defense that can't get off the field. Michigan's scoring drives averaged 55 yards. Again, that's all on the defense.

Against Wisconsin our defense gave up scoring drives that averaged 8.5 plays. Against Michigan they averaged nine plays per scoring drive, minus the one-play, 31-yard TD in the fourth quarter - and even that only drops their number of plays down to 7.9.

We could get into Northwestern, but frankly Martinez played probably his best game of the season against the Wildcats. The defense, again, was porous as a sieve. Michigan, Wisconsin and Northwestern all had over 400 yards, all won time of possession, all ran more plays than Nebraska. The defense couldn't shut any of these guys down.

In fact, the offense is the only reason we beat Washington (another team with over 400 yards) and Fresno State (yet another team with more than 400 yards).

I just don't see how you can look back at this season and focus on the quarterback. QB play was the least of our worries this year.

The 2 blowouts at the hands of the Badgers and Wolverines were the result of a comedy of errors commited by our QB and special teams for the most part. Our defense was not great by any means this year (with the exception of Iowa and Michigan St.), but it was not Cosgrove like either.

We must be watching different sports. The QB is responsible for the points given up by the defense?

Against Wisconsin we gave up TD drives of:

9 plays, 91 yards

6 plays, 77 yards

6 plays, 54 yards

5 plays, 63 yards

7 plays, 42 yards

14 plays, 81 yards

13 plays, 73 yards

That's not the QB's fault, that's a defense that can't get off the field. Wisconsin's scoring drives averaged 69 yards. How does the QB have anything to do with that? That's all on the defense.

Against Michigan we gave up scoring drives of:

8 plays, 81 yards (TD)

9 plays, 30 yards (FG)

12 plays, 74 yards (TD)

7 plays, 33 yards (TD)

8 plays, 50 yards (TD)

10 plays, 86 yards (TD)

1 play, 33 yards, (TD)

Again, that's a defense that can't get off the field. Michigan's scoring drives averaged 55 yards. Again, that's all on the defense.

Against Wisconsin our defense gave up scoring drives that averaged 8.5 plays. Against Michigan they averaged nine plays per scoring drive, minus the one-play, 31-yard TD in the fourth quarter - and even that only drops their number of plays down to 7.9.

We could get into Northwestern, but frankly Martinez played probably his best game of the season against the Wildcats. The defense, again, was porous as a sieve. Michigan, Wisconsin and Northwestern all had over 400 yards, all won time of possession, all ran more plays than Nebraska. The defense couldn't shut any of these guys down.

In fact, the offense is the only reason we beat Washington (another team with over 400 yards) and Fresno State (yet another team with more than 400 yards).

I just don't see how you can look back at this season and focus on the quarterback. QB play was the least of our worries this year.

Knapplc I get what you are saying. I also did say "for the most part". When we were up 14-7 against Wisconsin, didn't we have a stop and a chance to go up by 2 scores? What happened? Actually what happened twice before the half? Doesn't that kind of demoralize a team and a defense? The last 3 drives before the half were INT, INT and missed FG. When exactly did this game get out of hand? Oh yeah the very first drive after the half? INT. How am I wrong again?

Knapplc I get what you are saying. I also did say "for the most part". When we were up 14-7 against Wisconsin, didn't we have a stop and a chance to go up by 2 scores? What happened? Actually what happened twice before the half? Doesn't that kind of demoralize a team and a defense? The last 3 drives before the half were INT, INT and missed FG. When exactly did this game get out of hand? Oh yeah the very first drive after the half? INT. How am I wrong again?

I figured you were going to bring up the INTs and I almost mentioned that as well. My only point about that is, if INTs/turnovers demoralize a defense, shouldn't TDs & field goals pump them up? We were scoring against Fresno and Washington, yet they still gave up a bunch of yards. Same for Northwestern, same for Michigan. That point has to work both ways.

OR, you could also say that the fact that the defense couldn't/wouldn't stop Wiscy and Michigan demoralized the offense, and they gave up.

Personally, I think each guy who straps on the helmet, whether they're on offense, defense or special teams, should pull himself up by his own bootstraps and do his part. It is demoralizing when the guy on the other side of the ball isn't doing his part - either throwing interceptions, dropping passes, fumbling the ball, whatever. Holding, pass interference, etc - they all are a drain to the other side of the ball. But that stuff happens.

Our 2009 defense, which did feature a freak in Ndamukong Suh, granted, was the poster-child for ignoring the other side of the ball and just doing what they were supposed to do. That 2009 offense was horrid, but the defense - not just Suh - played fantastic, all year long.

I think if the offense says they sucked because the defense couldn't stop anyone, or the defense says they sucked because the offense couldn't score, that's doing too much finger-pointing, and not enough responsibility-taking. Gotta take responsibility.

I figured you were going to bring up the INTs and I almost mentioned that as well. My only point about that is, if INTs/turnovers demoralize a defense, shouldn't TDs & field goals pump them up? We were scoring against Fresno and Washington, yet they still gave up a bunch of yards. Same for Northwestern, same for Michigan. That point has to work both ways.

OR, you could also say that the fact that the defense couldn't/wouldn't stop Wiscy and Michigan demoralized the offense, and they gave up.

Personally, I think each guy who straps on the helmet, whether they're on offense, defense or special teams, should pull himself up by his own bootstraps and do his part. It is demoralizing when the guy on the other side of the ball isn't doing his part - either throwing interceptions, dropping passes, fumbling the ball, whatever. Holding, pass interference, etc - they all are a drain to the other side of the ball. But that stuff happens.

Our 2009 defense, which did feature a freak in Ndamukong Suh, granted, was the poster-child for ignoring the other side of the ball and just doing what they were supposed to do. That 2009 offense was horrid, but the defense - not just Suh - played fantastic, all year long.

I think if the offense says they sucked because the defense couldn't stop anyone, or the defense says they sucked because the offense couldn't score, that's doing too much finger-pointing, and not enough responsibility-taking. Gotta take responsibility.

I agree. Our defense was a complete let down especially with all of the pre season hype. I think our offense was actually a little better better than expected with our defense far worse than expected. My main point was even with how diasappointing it was, it was still nowhere near Cosgrove level.

I agree with that main point.

I would like to know, although I doubt we ever will, why the pieces that we all thought we had on this defense didn't turn out like we thought. All-Americans at all three levels, returning Blackshirts at all three levels, some youth but enough experience to compensate... but it never materialized.

Maybe we'll find out sometime that PJ Smith, a 2010 Blackshirt, and Courtney Osborne, whom most thought would be a 2011 Blackshirt, were "injured" or something, which is why we never saw either on the field rather than Austin Cassidy. I will not throw Cassidy under the bus because I love the guy's guts, but you cannot ever convince me that he's better than both Smith and Osborne.

It's mysteries like this that frustrate me.

• Fire 1

lil fyi.....The Husker football Wikipedia website hasn't taken down or modified Mike Stoops being listed on the Husker staff. It's been on there for over a week now I think. Typically, when information that isn't legit/verifiable is posted on Wikipedia, moderators will take it down. Well....Mike's name is still on the staff listing...................interesting............hmmm

I finally found it! It's still there!! Interesting!! I know it's Wikipedia but still interesting, especially since it's still on there! http://en.wikipedia....uskers_football

I just deleted him. http://en.wikipedia....uskers_football Got to love Wikipedia.

haa now I'm on the staff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football

• Fire 1

haa now I'm on the staff

Also lets put this into perspective:

New Offense

Sophomore QB

Mediocre OLine

Mediocre Defense

New conference

Maybe just maybe, all of these played a part in how this season turned out, I didn't list injuries either

I agree with that main point.

I would like to know, although I doubt we ever will, why the pieces that we all thought we had on this defense didn't turn out like we thought. All-Americans at all three levels, returning Blackshirts at all three levels, some youth but enough experience to compensate... but it never materialized.

Maybe we'll find out sometime that PJ Smith, a 2010 Blackshirt, and Courtney Osborne, whom most thought would be a 2011 Blackshirt, were "injured" or something, which is why we never saw either on the field rather than Austin Cassidy. I will not throw Cassidy under the bus because I love the guy's guts, but you cannot ever convince me that he's better than both Smith and Osborne.

It's mysteries like this that frustrate me.

I'm honestly beginning to think Bo didn't trust either of those guys back there. Or at least not Courtney, since by all accounts he spent this season in the doghouse. PJ was dinged up all year.

It's too bad when superior athletes cannot get on the field because they cannot grasp the intricacies of the defense we're trying to run. I get that Cassidy was the glue that held us together and got us all in position, but looked to be far and away the least athletic guy on the field, unless Blatchford or Thorrell got in.

Bo knows (and we all do) that his system can work wonders IF EVERYONE GETS IT. Having everyone get it with exceptional athletes (last year's secondary + David + a line that may not have been great but looked a lot better than this year's) can be downright lockdown. But if it is too difficult to grasp to get the best guys on the field and give us the best chance at maximizing player potential...Perhaps Bo needs to make some adjustments.

PJ was dinged up all year.

This is where I start to wonder. I talked to PJ's dad while sharing his (excellent) crawfish boil after the Northwestern game, and I asked him why PJ wasn't playing. He said it was "the coach's decision." Asked if he was banged up and dad said no.

I think we joke a lot about the "doghouse," and for the most part I tend to believe that's an urban legend. But conversations like that with PJ's dad make me wonder.

PJ was dinged up all year.

This is where I start to wonder. I talked to PJ's dad while sharing his (excellent) crawfish boil after the Northwestern game, and I asked him why PJ wasn't playing. He said it was "the coach's decision." Asked if he was banged up and dad said no.

I think we joke a lot about the "doghouse," and for the most part I tend to believe that's an urban legend. But conversations like that with PJ's dad make me wonder.

This worries me at times. Do you remember how everyone and their mother had "a story to tell" about all the problems going on with the team and athletic dept when Steve Pederson was fired? None of these people seemed to talk about them until he was let go. I really hope there aren't underlying dysfunctionality issues with the way Pelini runs the team that we won't hear about till later.