DC Candidates?

PJ was dinged up all year.

This is where I start to wonder. I talked to PJ's dad while sharing his (excellent) crawfish boil after the Northwestern game, and I asked him why PJ wasn't playing. He said it was "the coach's decision." Asked if he was banged up and dad said no.

I think we joke a lot about the "doghouse," and for the most part I tend to believe that's an urban legend. But conversations like that with PJ's dad make me wonder.

It's tough to know how close they are to "getting it". There was an article in the OWH about how PJ was supposed to have Russell Wilson on the naked bootleg he scored on down by the goal line. PJ even admitted that they had worked on it all week in practice but he didn't get it covered during the game (he was moved up right on the line at the snap and Wilson booted his way - he was unblocked). Not to put the whole season on one play but when you've worked on a specific play out of a specific formation/situation and you can't preform, that's tough. If you continually miss plays you've been specifically coached to watch out for, I don't imagine that bodes will for playing time.

That is a good point. The issue I have with that is that "other players" made those mistakes pretty much all season, yet still played. I hate naming names and calling guys out, but we all watched that defense. We all know who we're talking about here.

Knapplc I get what you are saying. I also did say "for the most part". When we were up 14-7 against Wisconsin, didn't we have a stop and a chance to go up by 2 scores? What happened? Actually what happened twice before the half? Doesn't that kind of demoralize a team and a defense? The last 3 drives before the half were INT, INT and missed FG. When exactly did this game get out of hand? Oh yeah the very first drive after the half? INT. How am I wrong again?

I figured you were going to bring up the INTs and I almost mentioned that as well. My only point about that is, if INTs/turnovers demoralize a defense, shouldn't TDs & field goals pump them up? We were scoring against Fresno and Washington, yet they still gave up a bunch of yards. Same for Northwestern, same for Michigan. That point has to work both ways.

OR, you could also say that the fact that the defense couldn't/wouldn't stop Wiscy and Michigan demoralized the offense, and they gave up.

Personally, I think each guy who straps on the helmet, whether they're on offense, defense or special teams, should pull himself up by his own bootstraps and do his part. It is demoralizing when the guy on the other side of the ball isn't doing his part - either throwing interceptions, dropping passes, fumbling the ball, whatever. Holding, pass interference, etc - they all are a drain to the other side of the ball. But that stuff happens.

Our 2009 defense, which did feature a freak in Ndamukong Suh, granted, was the poster-child for ignoring the other side of the ball and just doing what they were supposed to do. That 2009 offense was horrid, but the defense - not just Suh - played fantastic, all year long.

I think if the offense says they sucked because the defense couldn't stop anyone, or the defense says they sucked because the offense couldn't score, that's doing too much finger-pointing, and not enough responsibility-taking. Gotta take responsibility.

Yes I am going to tell an Iowa story because it illustrates an attitude that BOTH of our teams have had on defense in the past that has been lacking lately - and it is as frustrating for Husker fans as it is for Hawkeye fans. This happened several years ago so I don't remember the exact game or score - but the defense had an awesome game and held the opponent something in the 7-10 point range but the offense had only scored 6. The media was interviewing some of our star defensive players after the game and asked how frustrating it was that they had played such a good game but the offense had let them down. They got mad at the media because in their mind they had let the offense down by allowing the other team to score a single TD. They sincerely believed that the offense had scored enough points and it was their fault the team had lost.

This is the kind of attitude I would like to see both of our teams get back to on defense. It has been a frustrating couple of years for both and certainly not in the defensive style we are all used to.

PJ was dinged up all year.

This is where I start to wonder. I talked to PJ's dad while sharing his (excellent) crawfish boil after the Northwestern game, and I asked him why PJ wasn't playing. He said it was "the coach's decision." Asked if he was banged up and dad said no.

I think we joke a lot about the "doghouse," and for the most part I tend to believe that's an urban legend. But conversations like that with PJ's dad make me wonder.

It's tough to know how close they are to "getting it". There was an article in the OWH about how PJ was supposed to have Russell Wilson on the naked bootleg he scored on down by the goal line. PJ even admitted that they had worked on it all week in practice but he didn't get it covered during the game (he was moved up right on the line at the snap and Wilson booted his way - he was unblocked). Not to put the whole season on one play but when you've worked on a specific play out of a specific formation/situation and you can't preform, that's tough. If you continually miss plays you've been specifically coached to watch out for, I don't imagine that bodes will for playing time.

That is a good point. The issue I have with that is that "other players" made those mistakes pretty much all season, yet still played. I hate naming names and calling guys out, but we all watched that defense. We all know who we're talking about here.

I agree. There are going to be mistakes made, doesn't matter what level you're playing at - even the NFL. Coaches have to put the players on the field that they think gives the team the best chance to win. The players are going to be at all different levels - some aren't going to do anything spectacular but make most of the plays they're asked to. Others can make some big plays but screw up on a lot more of the basics.

I think, particularly in the defensive backfield, this staff - and most coaching staffs - will go with the guys who have the fewest screwups because a screwup there usually costs you 7 points. Obviously, even the guys who got a lot of playing time are still going to mess up. The question is, are the guys who are in the "doghouse" there because they are screwing up a lot more?

If Bo was going to promote from within he would have already done that right? If Bo was going to hire someone available now (Stoops), he would have already done that right? The only thing I can think of is our next DC will be here as soon as the team he is currently with plays their bowl game.

If Bo was going to promote from within he would have already done that right? If Bo was going to hire someone available now (Stoops), he would have already done that right? The only thing I can think of is our next DC will be here as soon as the team he is currently with plays their bowl game.

Could be...............or it could be that JP is going to get it and the replacement for him is currently with another team....................too many scenarios...........just going to have to wait on Bo's timetable..............

Ok guys I just got a call from Tom and a courier is going to bring some papers by my house tonight...I'm not going to say what they are or are not about but lets just say that wikipedia page may need changing and I'm going to need to buy some new clothes....

waterboy.jpg

How much does a Waterboy make these days?

Not sure but I'll make sure you get a raise.

• Fire 1

So today Bo reiterates his position that he "has an idea" where he's going but will release it on his timetable. When asked if he could grant a hint about when.................he replies "nope"......

I'm starting to believe this is just Bo getting some jabs in at the media and having some fun with it..................

So today Bo reiterates his position that he "has an idea" where he's going but will release it on his timetable. When asked if he could grant a hint about when.................he replies "nope"......

I'm starting to believe this is just Bo getting some jabs in at the media and having some fun with it..................

The Media or the Fans? Bo has shown his distain for fans over the years. Wouldnt suprise me one bit if he got some sick joy out of it.