DC Candidates?

If Bo was going to promote from within he would have already done that right? If Bo was going to hire someone available now (Stoops), he would have already done that right? The only thing I can think of is our next DC will be here as soon as the team he is currently with plays their bowl game.

Could be...............or it could be that JP is going to get it and the replacement for him is currently with another team....................too many scenarios...........just going to have to wait on Bo's timetable..............

I'm pretty convinced of the following scenario:

- JP is not the first choice or he would have been named already. If he was the sure DC, you'd want to name him that, if nothing else so he'd have more "clout" with recruits, especially with all the defensive guys we're after. You can wait to fill in position coaches until whoever you pick is available.

- JP is the second (or maybe third) choice which is what Pelini and Osborne are talking about when they say there is "a plan."

- We are waiting on one of two scenarios to play out:

--- Stoops (or possibly someone similar but I can't think of who else would fit his situation) is waiting to see if he gets another head job or possibly Venables leaves for a head job (Houston?) and Stoops goes back to Oklahoma. I would think the bigger head jobs would be filling shortly so this should play out sooner rather than later.

--- The other possibility is we have an agreement with someone but they don't want to announce until after their bowl game. Again, probably playing out in the next couple weeks.

Obviously there are a lot of scenarios but I think something along those lines makes the most sense.

• Fire 1

Kharma has bitten Pud pretty hard, and as far as I'm concerned nobody deserves it anymore than him!

I understand everyone's frustrations with Pederson's time here at Nebraska, and I wanted him gone as much as anybody, BUT all of the "hate" against him is ridiculous in my opinion. I doubt he was trying to hire bad coaches at Nebraska, and make bad decisions. Was he best for Nebraska? No. But does he deserve to be hated by a whole state? No.

Part of me feels bad for the guy because he was a Nebraska boy, and that has to be hard for him to know that he let his whole state down, and sent the Nebraska football program down a bad path, that we are just now coming out of.

I would assume that most of us are from Nebraska. Can you imagine if you were responsible for the demise of Nebraska Football? That would be gut-wrenching as a native of the great state.

Yeah, knowing he's hated by 99% of all hard-core NU cfb fans can't be fun for him. Even worse, he knows firing Frank/Bo for the Clownahan nightmare was easily one of the worst decisions any AD in America has ever made. Ouch.

Hey, my ego has gotten me into big troubles too but Pedey really, really let his totally take over. It's a tough price to pay.

So after Frank would have had a losing season in 2004, would you have not been on the get rid of Frank bandwagon? Because that is what would have happened and IMO is where Peterson really screwed it up. He should have let Frank complete his failure and then everyone would have been behind the firing.

Kharma has bitten Pud pretty hard, and as far as I'm concerned nobody deserves it anymore than him!

I understand everyone's frustrations with Pederson's time here at Nebraska, and I wanted him gone as much as anybody, BUT all of the "hate" against him is ridiculous in my opinion. I doubt he was trying to hire bad coaches at Nebraska, and make bad decisions. Was he best for Nebraska? No. But does he deserve to be hated by a whole state? No.

Part of me feels bad for the guy because he was a Nebraska boy, and that has to be hard for him to know that he let his whole state down, and sent the Nebraska football program down a bad path, that we are just now coming out of.

I would assume that most of us are from Nebraska. Can you imagine if you were responsible for the demise of Nebraska Football? That would be gut-wrenching as a native of the great state.

Yeah, knowing he's hated by 99% of all hard-core NU cfb fans can't be fun for him. Even worse, he knows firing Frank/Bo for the Clownahan nightmare was easily one of the worst decisions any AD in America has ever made. Ouch.

Hey, my ego has gotten me into big troubles too but Pedey really, really let his totally take over. It's a tough price to pay.

So after Frank would have had a losing season in 2004, would you have not been on the get rid of Frank bandwagon? Because that is what would have happened and IMO is where Peterson really screwed it up. He should have let Frank complete his failure and then everyone would have been behind the firing.

What??

Obviously, we'll never know but it's highly doubtful Frank/Bo would have had a losing season in 2004. Frank never had a losing season(s) but he did....

1. Win the BigXII

2. Play in the NC game (should have in 1999 too)

3. Beat Texas

....all of which Clownahan could only dream of doing. However, the upside of firing Frank/Bo was....

1. losing seasons.

2. 0 - 19 when down at halftime

3. worst losses in the history of NU cfb.

....in summary, it was simply a genius move made by the mighty Pedey.

If Bo was going to promote from within he would have already done that right? If Bo was going to hire someone available now (Stoops), he would have already done that right? The only thing I can think of is our next DC will be here as soon as the team he is currently with plays their bowl game.

Could be...............or it could be that JP is going to get it and the replacement for him is currently with another team....................too many scenarios...........just going to have to wait on Bo's timetable..............

I'm pretty convinced of the following scenario:

- JP is not the first choice or he would have been named already. If he was the sure DC, you'd want to name him that, if nothing else so he'd have more "clout" with recruits, especially with all the defensive guys we're after. You can wait to fill in position coaches until whoever you pick is available.

- JP is the second (or maybe third) choice which is what Pelini and Osborne are talking about when they say there is "a plan."

- We are waiting on one of two scenarios to play out:

--- Stoops (or possibly someone similar but I can't think of who else would fit his situation) is waiting to see if he gets another head job or possibly Venables leaves for a head job (Houston?) and Stoops goes back to Oklahoma. I would think the bigger head jobs would be filling shortly so this should play out sooner rather than later.

--- The other possibility is we have an agreement with someone but they don't want to announce until after their bowl game. Again, probably playing out in the next couple weeks.

Obviously there are a lot of scenarios but I think something along those lines makes the most sense.

I tend to agree. Its the only possibility that makes sense to me. The whole thing about Bo messing with the media wouldnt completely surprise me considering his track record, but would have to think TO wouldn't be on board with that approach, nor do I ultimately believe Bo thinks that would be the appropriate way to handle biz.

Ever since the media's been pumping JP, it would seem more and more odd that Bo wouldn't just announce it. Can't see the benefit in letting it fester. I don't believe an internal hire would require much complication, but as Mavric mentions, if the "plan" doesnt work out, it may go to JP by default.

What??

Obviously, we'll never know but it's highly doubtful Frank/Bo would have had a losing season in 2004. Frank never had a losing season(s) but he did....

1. Win the BigXII

2. Play in the NC game (should have in 1999 too)

3. Beat Texas

....all of which Clownahan could only dream of doing.

And Bo could only dream of doing. Just sayin...

I am sure that this has been mentioned, but I tend to agree with the above assessments for the most part. One would think that if he was going to promote JP, it would be done...leads to believe he may have something in the works with a coach on the "outside"...

but...

I can also see his "plan" being watching how JP takes control of the defense with the bowl preparations. I think he wants JP, but would like to see him in action first. It is almost like an on the job interview. I bet Bo is letting JP help design and implement the defense for SC.... If Bo likes what he sees and is comfortable working with him, then the job is his.... If Bo is not happy with what transpires during the next couple of weeks, then look for him to go outside... AND, it doesn't necessarily hinge on WINNING. He can be happy with the plan and relationship with players and we still lose. Winning would help tho...ha

It's worth remembering that UNL is a public university and there are certain hoops the athletic department has to jump through with regards to publicly announcing a hire. Even if Pelini has already made his decision and is ready to announce it, his hands may be tied until all the proper procedures are completed.

It's worth remembering that UNL is a public university and there are certain hoops the athletic department has to jump through with regards to publicly announcing a hire. Even if Pelini has already made his decision and is ready to announce it, his hands may be tied until all the proper procedures are completed.

If it was JP, does it surprise anyone that it hasn't been announced (at least in Nebraska) that JP isn't the 'interim DC' for bowl game. Not disagreeing with you, but not a lot of so-called loop holes for this..... Most big-time programs announce 'interim' coaches the day the former coach leaves. Not sure that loop holes are holding up Bo's decision on this one. So I guess, I am disagreeing a little, huh....ha.

I am sure that this has been mentioned, but I tend to agree with the above assessments for the most part. One would think that if he was going to promote JP, it would be done...leads to believe he may have something in the works with a coach on the "outside"...

but...

I can also see his "plan" being watching how JP takes control of the defense with the bowl preparations. I think he wants JP, but would like to see him in action first. It is almost like an on the job interview. I bet Bo is letting JP help design and implement the defense for SC.... If Bo likes what he sees and is comfortable working with him, then the job is his.... If Bo is not happy with what transpires during the next couple of weeks, then look for him to go outside... AND, it doesn't necessarily hinge on WINNING. He can be happy with the plan and relationship with players and we still lose. Winning would help tho...ha

This doesn't seem like it'd be a very good approach. Why dick around for a few weeks for a "maybe" hire, while giving other people he may be interested in the time and possible opportunity to take a job elsewhere? No one is going to keep themselves available to "maybe" be hired in a few weeks if they get a definite offer from another school.

but...

This doesn't seem like it'd be a very good approach. Why dick around for a few weeks for a "maybe" hire, while giving other people he may be interested in the time and possible opportunity to take a job elsewhere? No one is going to keep themselves available to "maybe" be hired in a few weeks if they get a definite offer from another school.

Didn't say or mean that Bo would ask anyone on the outside to "wait" for a possible offer. That is just dumb.... What I am saying is that Bo WANTS JP and is using this bowl prep to evaluate him as a DC. If he likes what he sees, then it will be official. If Bo realizes or feels JP is still a few years away, then he will BEGIN his outside search. Yes, Bo (like everyone) has a mental list ready, but doubtfully talked to anyone. There are plenty of great DC's outside our program that would listen if Bo calls on Jan 3... His name doesn't have to be Stoops. As much as I like Stoops, he isn't the only answer. This is the same guys who directed a team that an AVERAGE Nebraska offense under Watson torched Arizona in San Diego.

If JP is going to be the new DC, why wouldn't that be out now for recruiting purposes? If you tried to hide that to the public and just tell recruits, it would get leaked out as well. If it turns out to be JP, then this whole process makes no sense to me. It would be better for the program overall to have already promoted him then to try to sneak him into the position just for the SC game. The Stoops thing on waiting for other opening does make some sense but if that is really the case, do we want him here in the first place? Is he going to jump ship in a year if something better opens up? Whoever we hire as the next DC, I want someone who actually wants to be here for five or more years.