DC Candidates?

PJ was dinged up all year.

This is where I start to wonder. I talked to PJ's dad while sharing his (excellent) crawfish boil after the Northwestern game, and I asked him why PJ wasn't playing. He said it was "the coach's decision." Asked if he was banged up and dad said no.

I think we joke a lot about the "doghouse," and for the most part I tend to believe that's an urban legend. But conversations like that with PJ's dad make me wonder.

This worries me at times. Do you remember how everyone and their mother had "a story to tell" about all the problems going on with the team and athletic dept when Steve Pederson was fired? None of these people seemed to talk about them until he was let go. I really hope there aren't underlying dysfunctionality issues with the way Pelini runs the team that we won't hear about till later.

I'll bet there are a few guys who have gripes, but that's pretty common. You're not going to mesh with everyone on the staff. When Callahan was canned, bad as he was for Nebraska, the players really didn't bag on him all that badly. Not much more than what you hear when other coaches are let go.

I cannot speak for the character of guys like C. Osborne and/or PJ Smith, so I don't know if Bo were to get canned tomorrow what they'd say about their lack of playing time, but maybe we would hear grumblings about favoritism and whatnot. Who knows.

This is where I start to wonder. I talked to PJ's dad while sharing his (excellent) crawfish boil after the Northwestern game, and I asked him why PJ wasn't playing. He said it was "the coach's decision." Asked if he was banged up and dad said no.

I think we joke a lot about the "doghouse," and for the most part I tend to believe that's an urban legend. But conversations like that with PJ's dad make me wonder.

This worries me at times. Do you remember how everyone and their mother had "a story to tell" about all the problems going on with the team and athletic dept when Steve Pederson was fired? None of these people seemed to talk about them until he was let go. I really hope there aren't underlying dysfunctionality issues with the way Pelini runs the team that we won't hear about till later.

I'll bet there are a few guys who have gripes, but that's pretty common. You're not going to mesh with everyone on the staff. When Callahan was canned, bad as he was for Nebraska, the players really didn't bag on him all that badly. Not much more than what you hear when other coaches are let go.

I cannot speak for the character of guys like C. Osborne and/or PJ Smith, so I don't know if Bo were to get canned tomorrow what they'd say about their lack of playing time, but maybe we would hear grumblings about favoritism and whatnot. Who knows.

Hey, Hey... I think we can all just agree we're glad we're not Pittsburgh fans right now.

The way their players have been trashing Graham for leaving for ASU is embarrassing for their program.

Kharma has bitten Pud pretty hard, and as far as I'm concerned nobody deserves it anymore than him!

I understand everyone's frustrations with Pederson's time here at Nebraska, and I wanted him gone as much as anybody, BUT all of the "hate" against him is ridiculous in my opinion. I doubt he was trying to hire bad coaches at Nebraska, and make bad decisions. Was he best for Nebraska? No. But does he deserve to be hated by a whole state? No.

Part of me feels bad for the guy because he was a Nebraska boy, and that has to be hard for him to know that he let his whole state down, and sent the Nebraska football program down a bad path, that we are just now coming out of.

I would assume that most of us are from Nebraska. Can you imagine if you were responsible for the demise of Nebraska Football? That would be gut-wrenching as a native of the great state.

Kharma has bitten Pud pretty hard, and as far as I'm concerned nobody deserves it anymore than him!

I understand everyone's frustrations with Pederson's time here at Nebraska, and I wanted him gone as much as anybody, BUT all of the "hate" against him is ridiculous in my opinion. I doubt he was trying to hire bad coaches at Nebraska, and make bad decisions. Was he best for Nebraska? No. But does he deserve to be hated by a whole state? No.

Part of me feels bad for the guy because he was a Nebraska boy, and that has to be hard for him to know that he let his whole state down, and sent the Nebraska football program down a bad path, that we are just now coming out of.

I would assume that most of us are from Nebraska. Can you imagine if you were responsible for the demise of Nebraska Football? That would be gut-wrenching as a native of the great state.

Yeah, knowing he's hated by 99% of all hard-core NU cfb fans can't be fun for him. Even worse, he knows firing Frank/Bo for the Clownahan nightmare was easily one of the worst decisions any AD in America has ever made. Ouch.

Hey, my ego has gotten me into big troubles too but Pedey really, really let his totally take over. It's a tough price to pay.

I think the guy was dreaming of NC's and thought Frank was slipping into mediocrity. He figured he'd let Solich go and he'd be able to get a home-run type hire. Wasn't Callahan 4th or 5th down on the list after we'd been turned down by a few others? I don't think Pederson thought Callahan would be the best available to give us a "yes".

Have you ever met the roaring Ahole? Trust me ten minutes around him you would have different idea about him.

I do agree he did the best job he could do. How he went about it was wrong from the get go. The way he treated people was just wrong. My wife and I sat at dinner event with him and I though my wife would kill him. Actually one person she dislikes more than Bo. Rude arrogant slimey in every aspect. You wanted wash your hands after you shook his hand.

I think the guy was dreaming of NC's and thought Frank was slipping into mediocrity. He figured he'd let Solich go and he'd be able to get a home-run type hire. Wasn't Callahan 4th or 5th down on the list after we'd been turned down by a few others? I don't think Pederson thought Callahan would be the best available to give us a "yes".

If Steve fires Frank after a 7-7 season and having a bunch of boosters pissed no one says anything. However doing it the next year when it appeared he had turned a corner didn't make much sense and we became toxic. Steve wanted Urban Meyer and was turned down. Then again, and again, and again.

He sure was and it was embarassing to hear how many declines there were before Callahan was asked. I mean who can blame those guys for not taking the job. The previous guy gets canned after a 9 win season ( 10 with the bowl)... No thanks.

Have you ever met the roaring Ahole? Trust me ten minutes around him you would have different idea about him.

I do agree he did the best job he could do. How he went about it was wrong from the get go. The way he treated people was just wrong. My wife and I sat at dinner event with him and I though my wife would kill him. Actually one person she dislikes more than Bo. Rude arrogant slimey in every aspect. You wanted wash your hands after you shook his hand.

I'm surprised your wife doesn't like Bo. He's always been pretty cleaver and fun in social settings. Or is it just his on the field mentality?

I agree about Peddy. He was something special.

The 2 blowouts at the hands of the Badgers and Wolverines were the result of a comedy of errors commited by our QB and special teams for the most part. Our defense was not great by any means this year (with the exception of Iowa and Michigan St.), but it was not Cosgrove like either.

We must be watching different sports. The QB is responsible for the points given up by the defense?

Against Wisconsin we gave up TD drives of:

9 plays, 91 yards

6 plays, 77 yards

6 plays, 54 yards

5 plays, 63 yards

7 plays, 42 yards

14 plays, 81 yards

13 plays, 73 yards

That's not the QB's fault, that's a defense that can't get off the field. Wisconsin's scoring drives averaged 69 yards. How does the QB have anything to do with that? That's all on the defense.

Against Michigan we gave up scoring drives of:

8 plays, 81 yards (TD)

9 plays, 30 yards (FG)

12 plays, 74 yards (TD)

7 plays, 33 yards (TD)

8 plays, 50 yards (TD)

10 plays, 86 yards (TD)

1 play, 33 yards, (TD)

Again, that's a defense that can't get off the field. Michigan's scoring drives averaged 55 yards. Again, that's all on the defense.

Against Wisconsin our defense gave up scoring drives that averaged 8.5 plays. Against Michigan they averaged nine plays per scoring drive, minus the one-play, 31-yard TD in the fourth quarter - and even that only drops their number of plays down to 7.9.

We could get into Northwestern, but frankly Martinez played probably his best game of the season against the Wildcats. The defense, again, was porous as a sieve. Michigan, Wisconsin and Northwestern all had over 400 yards, all won time of possession, all ran more plays than Nebraska. The defense couldn't shut any of these guys down.

In fact, the offense is the only reason we beat Washington (another team with over 400 yards) and Fresno State (yet another team with more than 400 yards).

I just don't see how you can look back at this season and focus on the quarterback. QB play was the least of our worries this year.

Yeah, our qb is why opponents methodically marched down the field and punched it in for a TD. Over & over & over. Wisconsin, NW & Michigan didn't even break a sweat running over our defense. Makes perfect sense to me and obviously our qb "must" start playing tougher defense.

Tmart only had two interceptions after the Wisconsin game (we're talking "7" Big10 games.....a tipped ball & a Hail Mary with 2 seconds left in the 1st half). But the defense and all those drops our wrs had is something he's got to get fixed. Our Oline getting stuffed is another big problem he's got to get straight.

How about Chuck Heater ? A good amount of experience is what we really need and Chuck fits this requirement well.

There was a lot of talk about him for the Ohio State position. Heater is a fine DC and would be a great asset if you guys could pick him up.

Yeah, our qb is why opponents methodically marched down the field and punched it in for a TD. Over & over & over. Wisconsin, NW & Michigan didn't even break a sweat running over our defense.

Yeah but in all fairness they they did completely shut down Joe Bauserman. :mellow:

It's tough to know how close they are to "getting it". There was an article in the OWH about how PJ was supposed to have Russell Wilson on the naked bootleg he scored on down by the goal line. PJ even admitted that they had worked on it all week in practice but he didn't get it covered during the game (he was moved up right on the line at the snap and Wilson booted his way - he was unblocked). Not to put the whole season on one play but when you've worked on a specific play out of a specific formation/situation and you can't preform, that's tough. If you continually miss plays you've been specifically coached to watch out for, I don't imagine that bodes will for playing time.

Skers,

I have never met Bo personally, I talked with him one afternoon on the phone. Basically just to say hi. I have become friends with one of the head coaches and he was in his office. I have no problem with Bo any more. I did when he was hired. He was about what I expected the first two years, but has worked on being a better face for the program. He made huge strides this year. I like the fire he has, I just think we are going to burn him out. I truly thinks he needs help, just too much on his plate this early in his career. I will say this, if he makes it, he is going to be a very good coach with what he has been through.

My wife feels he is an embarssment to the University with his actions on the field. If you can not control your self how can you guide and control 18-23 year olds. She has never met him nor talked to him. I have actually kept that from happening.lol.