Some Tidbits to Chew On...

I have a feeling he's a reporter.

HAHAHA....I can assure you this is not the case!!! Not sure whether to take that as an insult or a compliment...but, definitely not a reporter either way.

I just find it easier to get information from people "in the know" when I can throw out a hypothetical and you can answer with something like "this" or "you're wrong" than if I ask you to give me all the details on your own. It's kind of one of those, "say nothing if I am right" tactics and then when the person on the other end of the phone is silent, you know you're onto something. But they don't technically have to tell you anything.

I guess that's kind of a reporter strategy now that you mention it. But I thought it was more common sense when dealing with guys that are in the know.

Last year I had a guy send me a PM at another site. I gave him some info. It ended up almost word for word in a LJS blog.

^ great - let's stretch JP a little thinner :facepalm:

Of course it makes no sense to give duties to someone else but rather just keep giving more and more to one guy. JP started with Bo as and S & C coach. Most people don't know it but JP actually runs the conditioning program too and sets all the goals for the players S&C wise. Dobs is just for show. I won't even go into how he actually plans all the meals for the nutrition program either. :sarcasm

Have you never received a promotion in your life? I've had several and very rarely did I keep my old duties when I received new ones.

I think Bo would bring in a D-line coach in this case so JP wouldn't be as stretched. Or maybe he wouldn't be doing a lot as CO-DC and Bo would wait until Mike moves on and fully elevate JP and bring in a D-Line coach.

Yeah. I have a feeling that "IF" JP becomes the DC a lot of his duties will move to other coaches. "IF" he ends up Co-DC with someone else like a Stoops he'd keep and or split up his current duties with that individual.

Of course it makes no sense to give duties to someone else but rather just keep giving more and more to one guy. JP started with Bo as and S & C coach. Most people don't know it but JP actually runs the conditioning program too and sets all the goals for the players S&C wise. Dobs is just for show. I won't even go into how he actually plans all the meals for the nutrition program either. :sarcasm

Have you never received a promotion in your life? I've had several and very rarely did I keep my old duties when I received new ones.

Congrats on your several promotions. (golf clap)

As the expert on restructuring, when these promotions come along do your old duties just disapear? My lowly opinion would be that someone would need to take on those old duties. If I'm correct (and I could be wrong because maybe they do just go away), in the hypothetical scenario where JP goes co-dc with Stoops being co-dc...it seems to me like we're kind of out of assistant coaching positions. It's not as though Bo can just add another guy to the staff like a normal company would. And since I believe someone still has to be recruiting coordinator, and someone still has to coach DE's, and DT's, and special teams, then either JP has additional responsibilies, or other coaches are going to have to carry the load which takes away from what they were pre-promotion. Regardless, when I do the math it seems like we're getting at least 1, if not 2 "honorary" defensive coordinators.

Congrats on your several promotions. (golf clap)

As the expert on restructuring, when these promotions come along do your old duties just disapear? My lowly opinion would be that someone would need to take on those old duties. If I'm correct (and I could be wrong because maybe they do just go away), in the hypothetical scenario where JP goes co-dc with Stoops being co-dc...it seems to me like we're kind of out of assistant coaching positions. It's not as though Bo can just add another guy to the staff like a normal company would. And since I believe someone still has to be recruiting coordinator, and someone still has to coach DE's, and DT's, and special teams, then either JP has additional responsibilies, or other coaches are going to have to carry the load which takes away from what they were pre-promotion. Regardless, when I do the math it seems like we're getting at least 1, if not 2 "honorary" defensive coordinators.

I'm fairly certain you don't understand anything I'm stating. Either that or you're so hell bent on disliking me you're trying to find artificial ways to create arguments and twist the things I say.

If you're truly interested in the division of duties with Co-DCs the rest of the board discussed this about a week to 10 days ago. What do you think someone like Stoops or Zook would do? Sit around with a thumb up their ass and just show up on game days?

^ I believe you were the first to call me out as an idiot. I think it's pretty obvious JP is stretched thin. I don't know if i've seen too many assistant coaches w/ so much on their plate.

and my assumption is that Stoops/Zook would do similar to what Carl did since that seems to be where Bo was taking the defensive structure. They'd be "coordinator". If Carl sat around w/ his thumb up his ass I'd be surprised.

^ I believe you were the first to call me out as an idiot. I think it's pretty obvious JP is stretched thin. I don't know if i've seen too many assistant coaches w/ so much on their plate.

and my assumption is that Stoops/Zook would do similar to what Carl did since that seems to be where Bo was taking the defensive structure. They'd be "coordinator". If Carl sat around w/ his thumb up his ass I'd be surprised.

I agree JP is stretched too thin. I stated that last year when they named him both RC and STC. They did shift a large portion of the Special Teams to Els to help. I wish they'd shift more to someone else and that could happen now that the learning curve will be less on several coaches. We had Garrison, Raymond, and Beck all in new roles that required a learning curve. Els was also in that situation but to a lesser degree based on his experiences.

No matter what promotion JP receives he'll give up some duties to take on others.

Its unlikely that Zook/Stoops would be doing the same job as Carl.

^ i'd really like to see more emphasis on Special Teams. playing Virginia Tech those two years, and watching Beamer win 10 games a year for the last decade or so with elite ST makes me think Nebraska could be better. We have one of the best punters in the nation, yet coverage gets sketchy at times.

we don't play many starters on ST either. a DE is one of our best tacklers on kickoffs. what's the trade-off to Beamer's philosophy versus Nebraska's? i'm not sure how much injury risk there is by playing more starters. seems to be a big gap in tallent on those teams though.

I have a feeling he's a reporter.

HAHAHA....I can assure you this is not the case!!! Not sure whether to take that as an insult or a compliment...but, definitely not a reporter either way.

I just find it easier to get information from people "in the know" when I can throw out a hypothetical and you can answer with something like "this" or "you're wrong" than if I ask you to give me all the details on your own. It's kind of one of those, "say nothing if I am right" tactics and then when the person on the other end of the phone is silent, you know you're onto something. But they don't technically have to tell you anything.

I guess that's kind of a reporter strategy now that you mention it. But I thought it was more common sense when dealing with guys that are in the know.

Last year I had a guy send me a PM at another site. I gave him some info. It ended up almost word for word in a LJS blog.

Wow...crazy. Not me though I can assure you!!! If you want proof, PM me something that you haven't told anyone else and see if it shows up in the LJS. :D

If Stoops wants to come you DO NOT promote JP!!!! You give Stoops the DC and keep JP where he is. Now, you can have JP really follow Stoops around and really shadow him closely b/c I think Stoops would be gone to another HC job after 1-2 years. Then, maybe after Stoops leaves you can promote JP. I'm sure if Stoops is hired Bo will talk to JP and tell him to bide his time and learn everything he can, and I'm sure JP knows if Stoops comes in that it is a short term thing and he will have his chance soon enough. The guy is still really young!!

If Stoops wants to come you DO NOT promote JP!!!! You give Stoops the DC and keep JP where he is. Now, you can have JP really follow Stoops around and really shadow him closely b/c I think Stoops would be gone to another HC job after 1-2 years. Then, maybe after Stoops leaves you can promote JP. I'm sure if Stoops is hired Bo will talk to JP and tell him to bide his time and learn everything he can, and I'm sure JP knows if Stoops comes in that it is a short term thing and he will have his chance soon enough. The guy is still really young!!

One would think! But, Bo never ceases to amaze us..... to say the least. :sarcasm

Correct me if I am wrong here, but I do not see many offers flying around for Stoops. His run at Arizona was questionable at best. I doubt anyone that can pay the money he wants is interested in hiring him now or in the very near future. I know he did well at Oklahoma, but how much of that was Bob.

I think he would be good here to take some presure off of Bo, but I do not think he is quite as hot of comodity as he thinks he is.

• Fire 1

Correct me if I am wrong here, but I do not see many offers flying around for Stoops. His run at Arizona was questionable at best. I doubt anyone that can pay the money he wants is interested in hiring him now or in the very near future. I know he did well at Oklahoma, but how much of that was Bob.

I think he would be good here to take some presure off of Bo, but I do not think he is quite as hot of comodity as he thinks he is.

Okay...I'll correct you because I think you're wrong. First of all, none of us even knows what his status is with regard to Nebraska (the program we're closest to) so how would you or any of us know if there have been "offers flying around for Stoops"? What we do know is that his name has been mentioned as a possibility for the Nebraska, Ohio State, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Iowa jobs (off the top of my head). I'd say that's a pretty impressive list. Not to mention, most of these coaching vacancies are really trickling along right now as far as what is being announced due to the fact that most of the top programs, and therefor coaches, have a Bowl Game to coach in.

His success at Arizona (or lack thereof) as a head coach really has very little to do with his status as a top coordinator. Arizona is a lower tier school in the Pac 10 (football-wise). They are not even the best program in their own state.

With regard to your comment: "I do not think he is quite as hot of comodity as he thinks he is". Are you serious? Show me one quote where he's been beating his chest about being a hot commodity. I could understand if you don't think he's as hot of a commodity as some of the posters on here think he is. But I don't think it's fair for you to try to paint him as some sort of over-self-promoter. I haven't seen that from him at all.

Stoops is a great defensive mind with a lot of experience and would be a great addition to just about any staff at any level of college football.

• Fire 1

I don't understand all the fervor for Mike Stoops. He had a good run at OU with his brother running a lot of the defense and having a tremendous amount of defensive talent, but his defenses were average to poor at Arizona for the most part. I'm not impressed. Taking Mike as the DC is just as big a risk as making JP the DC IMO. JP will cost less, already knows Bo's defense, and isn't as likely to leave as quickly. I'd prefer Zook to either of them due to his prowess as a recruiter, but even he's not that much better an option than MS or JP.