Pelini's Stats

I did a little research today. Since Bo has been in the college game as a defensive coordinator or head coach, his defenses have given up

2068 pts through 119 games total. Thats a 17.4 average

Here is the kicker, this is his 9th coached defense. Out of all 9 defenses he has coached 3 out of his 4 worst defenses have been at Nebraska. However, his best defense was also at Nebraska. Take it FWIW

Here are the numbers

2003 (Nebraska) 188 pts (14.5) 13 games - 3 losses

2004 (Oklahoma) 219 pts (16.9) 13 games - 1 loss (came to USC in BCS title game)

2005 (LSU) 185 pts (14.2) 13 games - 2 losses

2006 (LSU) 164 pts (12.6) 13 games - 2 losses

2007 (LSU) 279 pts (19.9) 14 games** -- National Champs, but had 2 losses

2008 (Nebraska) 371 pts (28.5) 13 games - 4 losses

2009 (Nebraska) 145 pts (10.4) 14 games - 4 losses

2010 (Nebraska) 243 pts (17.4) 14 games - 4 losses

2011 (Nebraska) 274 pts (22.8) 12 games - 3 losses with a 1 game to be played.

pelini is a great defensive mind and i think he is on his way to being a great head coach, his first year at nebraska (as a head coach) his defenses struggled giving up 28.5 pts a game, the next year he he adjusted and the defense gave up 10.4 pts a game, his first year in the BIG the defense gave up 22.8 pts a game, i am excited to see the adjustments he makes this offseason, i would bet that you see a big improvement in the Blackshirts next season.

Here is the kicker, this is his 9th coached defense. Out of all 9 defenses he has coached 3 out of his 4 worst defenses have been at Nebraska. However, his best defense was also at Nebraska. Take it FWIW

2005 (LSU) 185 pts (14.2) 13 games - 2 losses

2006 (LSU) 164 pts (12.6) 13 games - 2 losses

2009 (Nebraska) 145 pts (10.4) 14 games - 4 losses

Hard to say what his best D was. Maybe 2005 or 2006 LSU. They played a lot more difficult sched than the 2009 Huskers. Then again, probably more talent on those LSU teams than NU 2009. So it's not like his defensive strategies or the schemes Pelini puts on the field have gotten worse. I don't know where I'm going wiht this...

2008- Bo's first year taking over a horrific defense (won 9 games)

2011- Bo's first year in a new league and giving "full" DC duties to Carl (won at least 9 games)

2010- @17.4 points per game - with the points the Big12 put up and no Suh, I'll take this everyday of the week! (coulda, woulda, shoulda won a conference championship)

3 out of his worst 4 years have some form of excuse built into them. He did these with a team that "fired" it's previous coach. His best years were at National Championship level programs (I include 2003 NU because they played for one just 2 years prior). At any rate, there are about 70+ FBS teams that would like to have Pelini's worst year duplicated by their coach.

That's my opinion, take it FWIW.

Just for fun, compare those stats to the "King" of college football, Nick Saban and his last 9 years in college coaching. All were at Bama and LSU, so nobody can claim its not fair because he wasn't at top notch programs...

1831 Points total (237 less than Bo)

in 118 games (1 less)

15.51 PPG (1.9 less)

24 losses (1 less)

2 years with 5 or more losses (2 more)

1 year giving up more than 300 points in 13 games (same)

For even more perspective, compare his first 4 years with Bama to Bo's first 4 years as Head Coach period:

Bo 38-15

Nick 43-11

That's not too shabby...of course, those 1.25 wins per year would have put a different spin on a couple of our seasons.

But, still...to be 5 games off the pace of the "pace setter" your first 4 years as a coach is nothing to shake a stick at if you ask me.

For what it's worth, it's hard to take seriously the opinions of those who can't even take the time to spell out "for what it's worth".

In my defense (if this comment was directed at me), my "FWIW" was directed back at StreeterCL because he used it in his post.

I hate "text speech" as much as anyone...

lulz :lol:

For what it's worth, it's hard to take seriously the opinions of those who can't even take the time to spell out "for what it's worth".

In my defense (if this comment was directed at me), my "FWIW" was directed back at StreeterCL because he used it in his post.

I hate "text speech" as much as anyone...

lulz :lol:

WTF you laughin' at? :cheers