Ben Cotton

Warrior10

I find it kind of funny how Husker Nation's opinion on Ben Cotton has swung this year. Last year, he was only one the team because he is the coach's son and Kyler Reed was the best TE we had. Now, Cotton's a critical part of the offense.

In addition to being a coaches kid, I think part of the reason was Kyler Reed. How many long TD passes did Reed catch in 2010? Fans--admittedly myself included--didn't appreciate what B-Cotton would add to our offense. Last year anyway. And really my biggest dig on Cotton was that he should have come to NU as a walk-on and earn his scholie. Like Austin Cassidy did, another coach's kid.

I find it kind of funny how Husker Nation's opinion on Ben Cotton has swung this year. Last year, he was only one the team because he is the coach's son and Kyler Reed was the best TE we had. Now, Cotton's a critical part of the offense.

In addition to being a coaches kid, I think part of the reason was Kyler Reed. How many long TD passes did Reed catch in 2010? Fans--admittedly myself included--didn't appreciate what B-Cotton would add to our offense. Last year anyway. And really my biggest dig on Cotton was that he should have come to NU as a walk-on and earn his scholie. Like Austin Cassidy did, another coach's kid.

Yeah, I'm not arguing with you there. I was just as much of a Cotton hater as everyone else was last year. I've done a complete 180 since then, though. I think Cotton could be a damned good offensive lineman if he bulked up a bit.

He was committed to Louisville though.. does he even come without a scholly offer? It's not like the kid doesn't know what people say about his father. Why take the risk of coming here as a walk-on, his dad getting fired and never getting the opportunity to get a scholly? Just a thought....

I know it's fashionable to bash the entire Cotton clan because of Barney's (perceived coaching skills or not) rep on most fan boards, but I am glad we have all three Cotton kids as Huskers (including Sam next year)........

Agreed. Regardless of what folks think of Barney, his kids are producing and becoming integral parts of the team.

And really my biggest dig on Cotton was that he should have come to NU as a walk-on and earn his scholie. Like Austin Cassidy did, another coach's kid.

As some others have said, Ben was a highly recruited TE in high school. Four Star kid even. That was the difference between Ben and Austin. Cassidy was a very good option QB at Southwest, but wasn't going to play QB at the D1 level. He is a good athlete(see his HS hurdling accomplishments) that he was asked to walk-on. That's the biggest difference Ben had a ton of recruiting interest vs. Austin.

I did hear however, that Ben is making up a lot of ground in Texas searching for his still missing nut.

I know it's fashionable to bash the entire Cotton clan because of Barney's (perceived coaching skills or not) rep on most fan boards, but I am glad we have all three Cotton kids as Huskers (including Sam next year)........

Agreed. Regardless of what folks think of Barney, his kids are producing and becoming integral parts of the team.

Ben is the only one who has produced and/or became an integral part of the team.

Ben is the only one who has produced and/or became an integral part of the team.

The book is far from closed on this yet........................

the others are a RS Frosh and a senior in HS....What would you have them accomplish at this point in their career?

the others are a RS Frosh and a senior in HS....What would you have them accomplish at this point in their career?

What are you talking about? Seriously.

That's a good question.