ATH Davante' Bourque

corncraze

The visit went well enough for Bourque to second guess his Arizona State visit on the 27th and seriously consider switching it to Nebraska instead. This kid wants to play early and doesn't want to sit behind a bunch of 4*'s on a depth chart. He looked at NU and saw Aaron Green/Braylon Heard/Rex Burkhead all above him with Ameer Abdullah on the rise as well and thought he wouldn't have a chance... but when our coach came for an in-home yesterday that coach sat down with this kid and showed him that we run a 2 back system... they showed him the I-formation and let him know that we have Mike Marrow (who is more of a short yardage running back in the same position as Abdullah/Green) and CJ Zimmer (who doesn't have that elite talent) that could play the fullback/big front back position for us and we really need an elite guy to come in and win the position. Bourque didn't see a need for himself in Nebraska's system before the meeting and now understands that he could come in really early and contribute. That moved us way up in his mind.

I think you may have the RB situation a little mixed up. It should be Rex/Ameer with the others on the rise. Ameer was definitely the top choice after Rex. For some reason people keep putting him farther down on the depth chart than he really was. I wonder if it has anything to do with him being the only 3 star out of the group.

I think you may have the RB situation a little mixed up. It should be Rex/Ameer with the others on the rise. Ameer was definitely the top choice after Rex. For some reason people keep putting him farther down on the depth chart than he really was. I wonder if it has anything to do with him being the only 3 star out of the group.

Agreed.

Im wondering if the staff saw a need this year to have a bigger pound it type back kind of like Rex but a little bigger to withstand the punishment of the B1G 10. Then you have Green, and Ameer come in for a change of pace game breaker type to bust the big plays when they are worn down, becoming a run first hit you in the mouth team.

If oregon has taught us anything those playmakers are great, but you need a power running game to get the 3 and 2s and an O line that can get it done on short yardage agaisnt SEC type DLines. Seems like we may be heading in that direction with seemingly the best of both worlds, pretty much like Alabama, but with a good change of pace speed/scat Oregon type back, that we have already recruited in Ameer/Green....ala Brandon Jacobs/LaMicheal James combo. Would be pretty exciting having a big athletic back like bourque/cross that can run it inside to replace Rex and then come out in the diamond in the hurry up and throw Ameer Green and Taylor/Armstrong/Fuller at em. Would be a pretty devestating running game, if our O line comes around...fast paced speed with the ability to slow down and punch you right in the mouth with a big back right up the middle like Rex does currently. ....boom we have an offensive identity.

Maybe more a short yard situational back or someone to be used as a blocking back in multiple HB pistol or shotgun variations.

fwiw, beck was at KU when they had brandon mcanderson, a big back, in a spread offense. if i recall correctly, he split time with a smaller back (sharp?).

Probably just remembering from early in the year. Abdullah was the KR from day one but it was Green and Heard who were in the backfield quite a bit more early in the season. Later in the year, you saw more of Abdullah back there. As of now, I'd say AA is #2 but he didn't start out that way.

Probably just remembering from early in the year. Abdullah was the KR from day one but it was Green and Heard who were in the backfield quite a bit more early in the season. Later in the year, you saw more of Abdullah back there. As of now, I'd say AA is #2 but he didn't start out that way.

I also seem to remember that there is a legit possibility AA is asked to change positions this Spring.

I also seem to remember that there is a legit possibility AA is asked to change positions this Spring.

I expect A.Green to make a big jump in the race for playing time next year. They are all talented, but A.Green looks the part to me.

I expect A.Green to make a big jump in the race for playing time next year. They are all talented, but A.Green looks the part to me.

He's gonna have to learn to run behind his blocks better. I honestly thought Heard looked like the best RB of the 3 freshmen because he had a feel for that aspect of the position. Hopefully Aaron Green learns because he could really be a home rum hitter for us for the next 3 years.

He's gonna have to learn to run behind his blocks better. I honestly thought Heard looked like the best RB of the 3 freshmen because he had a feel for that aspect of the position. Hopefully Aaron Green learns because he could really be a home rum hitter for us for the next 3 years.

I agree with your assessment on Green's need for improvement of following his blockers better. It is funny how there are so many different opinions on the three frosh RB's.... I think all three have a lot of potential, but I was least impressed with Heard. What seperates them for me is the fact that Abdullah, and Green seem to be big time "playmakers"....I think A.Green is just too talented not to be successful at this level.

I agree with your assessment on Green's need for improvement of following his blockers better. It is funny how there are so many different opinions on the three frosh RB's.... I think all three have a lot of potential, but I was least impressed with Heard. What seperates them for me is the fact that Abdullah, and Green seem to be big time "playmakers"....I think A.Green is just too talented not to be successful at this level.

Well I don't have any stats, but Heard hardly saw the field after the first 4 or 5 games, if ever. But from what I saw, he is more physically mature and more natural hitting the holes and following blockers. I think he runs the most like Rex.

I definitely agree with you though. Green showed a couple of times this year that he could be a super flashy player for us. I just hope he gets a little more confidence and runs with authority. Would love to see him make a statement in the spring game.