Apparently Penn State talked to Bo about HC gig

Nexus

What's your problem 97? Anyone who knows jacks**t about college football knows that Bo is one of the best defensive mind in the game.

:lol: , lol. Bo knows one type of defense extremely well, but can't adjust it to defend different kinds of offenses. In addition, Bo is on of the best defensive minds in the game only when he has All Americans like Glenn Dorsey, Patrick Peterson, Suh, and Amukamara- none of whom he recruited. I will give him credit for Lavonte, but he really had nowhere else to go.

Checkmate

no way. you forgot rook to queen seven, or something.

BO does know defense, what he does not know, what no one knows, is how to tailor a defense to completely stop a type of offense in a particular conference and then tailor the exact same defense in one off season to stop a completely different offense in a completely different conference. give him some time to adjust to the new conference and some credit for what he did this year. i would guess it will be easier for him the stop the B1G offenses when he has the personnel and time than it was to stop the Big 12 offenses, which were just lighting up defenses.

it is unfair to criticize him for only being able to stop the spread, and silly. he effectively stopped the spread and when he had all the personnel he needed on the field, he has to drastically adjust for a completely different style of play.

I think Saban could stop any Big Ten defense right here and right now, Big XII as well

well, first i thought we were talking about offense. how do you stop a defense?

second, you just done got burned.

third, i would argue that the sec has a very similar style of offense as the B1G, only they get better athletes.

fourth, i am not going to argue that saban is a better coach than BO, i am not an idiot.

fifth, what was your point? can we get saban to coach here?

sixth, my point was that BO is a good defensive mind and you can not expect him to get the top talent year-in and year-out like saban and miles. it is not his fault he coaches in nebraska rather than the SEC, and every coach here will have that problem.

We couldn't get that lucky, theres legacies to protect. I surely wouldn't bring back the Frank Solich reunion circus which is what we got. First and foremost I would have told Callahan he fires Cosgrove or GTFO years ago. Same with Pelini and his Cottonesc type hires. When you have a failure such as Barney and you start firing people that got you 9 wins in your first season and keep Barney and his half dozen assistants, there is no hope. Yet another thing I would rather have be PSUs problem.

I would call PSU and beg them to take Pelini to assure at least one win per season by running straight at his defense with an occasional pass towards Cassidy type recruits.

I wouldn't cater to the Frank was robbed and we need to run ugly option football that anyone who stacks the box can stop.

I wouldn't allow unethical things like putting Cottons entire family through college.

Pay a little attention to Michigan, go after a proven winner with experience, someone who has taken total crap and turned it around. I would have already been flirting with people like Chris Peterson, Gary Patterson, hell I would take Leach over Pelini

I was serious when I presented those questions to you. I was really hoping to get a similar response minus the "outside the box" scenario that kchusker_chris presented in a nice logical format. Something realistic in a persuasive speech kind of way.

The scenario I presented you was already laid out for you without having to attack anyone in the process since I offered that Pelini & Osborne were both gone in that scenario. Yet you continued to grind your axe using hyperbolic platitudes. We get it, you're severely unhappy with the current state of affairs at North Stadium. If you want to be taken seriously, because it is possible to be dissatisfied, yet have a valid argument to back it up, then take the floor and present some realistic solutions without resorting to ridicule.

I wouldn't want Turner Gill to sniff our offense, His Trev Alberts idea was interesting and I think he could somehow fit in our program. I don't want any stoops anywhere near the program. In fact, the whole Youngstown connection can remain as far from Lincoln as possible.

One of the biggest problems with Husker Football is this consistent need to hold on to Osborne and this old, tired, tradition coalition approach. Tom trying to appease the butt hurt Solich fans including bringing in a Iowa High School coaches helper and his entire offspring.

See, theres these things called opinions and I told you a couple coaches, I also told you we needed to rid the program of Osborne ( probably our biggest problem) and thats not enough for you. Our entire fall from grace has been a direct product of Osborne playing AD even when he wasn't AD, Byrne was. Sorry I wasn't outside the box enough for you

Do you realistically believe Petersen or Patterson or any other "big name" coach would seriously consider taking the Nebraska job after booting a 9-win coach and a legacy AD? The reason I ask is because of this comment from Urban Meyer last April:

Q: One last Nebraska question — in late 2003, NU fired its coach, Frank Solich. You were coaching at Utah. Was there any part of you that perhaps thought about looking at the job?

UM: “We actually were contacted by a third party. Not directly. I remember thinking about it. I had such great respect for Solich — he's an Ohio guy who's a good friend of mine — and I didn't agree with everything that went down. He won 10 games that year, right? That was alarming to me. I'm a coach, and whenever I see that happening to a coach, I think there's got to be something behind Door No. 1 to fire him after he won 10 games. I remember having great respect for the school but being concerned about what happened — and why it happened. If 10 games isn't good enough, I'm not sure what is.”

LINK

I think theres a slew of qualified people that would jump at the chance to make millions a year at a storied program. I don't buy into the whole poor old Nebraska, its climate, bla, bla, bla, recruiting, bla bla.......its all part of the ole Jammies Jamrog and his playskool headset promotional tool for explaining mediocrity. Yet another person employed by the Huskers with zero qualifications
  • Fire 1

I think theres a slew of qualified people that would jump at the chance to make millions a year at a storied program. I don't buy into the whole poor old Nebraska, its climate, bla, bla, bla, recruiting, bla bla.......its all part of the ole Jammies Jamrog and his playskool headset promotional tool for explaining mediocrity. Yet another person employed by the Huskers with zero qualifications

Steve Pederson thought so too.

It's not a question of if there are qualified people, it's a matter of who would take the job under the hypothetical circumstances that I presented. If it wasn't good enough for Urban Meyer and... *gasp* Houston Nutt, then we really need to re-evaluate how we go about handling the way we let people go around here.

• Fire 2

third, i would argue that the sec has a very similar style of offense as the B1G, only they get better athletes.

fourth, i am not going to argue that saban is a better coach than BO, i am not an idiot.

sixth, my point was that BO is a good defensive mind and you can not expect him to get the top talent year-in and year-out like saban and miles. it is not his fault he coaches in nebraska rather than the SEC, and every coach here will have that problem.

You're correct, I meant offense. There are coaches out there that can defend more than one type of offense or at least try to adjust properly. Its amazing how Nebraska can't get any good players and we're stuck with crap like Suh and the rest of the defensive players that fell in Pelinis lap.

I will have to agree that THIS staff won't be able to get the SEC types though, if they couldn't do it after Suhs domination, they never will. Our bowl game should be a good representation of where we sit in year 5

You're correct, I meant offense. There are coaches out there that can defend more than one type of offense or at least try to adjust properly. Its amazing how Nebraska can't get any good players and we're stuck with crap like Suh and the rest of the defensive players that fell in Pelinis lap.

I will have to agree that THIS staff won't be able to get the SEC types though, if they couldn't do it after Suhs domination, they never will. Our bowl game should be a good representation of where we sit in year 5

SUH largely benefited from being coached by the pelini bros. also, i am not sure what your last sentence meant. finally, 'not since '97' is not something to be ashamed of. that is pretty recent, unless you are younger than 14 years old.

It's not a question of if there are qualified people, it's a matter of who would take the job under the hypothetical circumstances that I presented. If it wasn't good enough for Urban Meyer and... *gasp* Houston Nutt, then we really need to re-evaluate how we go about handling the way we let people go around here.

Had Steve Pederson forced Callahan to fire Cosgrove or GTFO, we may be looking a whole lot different. I will never understand Callahans obsession with a blatantly terrible DC, I guess it's not much different from Cotton and Jammies

• Fire 1

Had Steve Pederson forced Callahan to fire Cosgrove or GTFO, we may be looking a whole lot different. I will never understand Callahans obsession with a blatantly terrible DC, I guess it's not much different from Cotton and Jammies

you do not see a line coach and a coordinator as being 'much different'?

SUH largely benefited from being coached by the pelini bros. also, i am not sure what your last sentence meant. finally, 'not since '97' is not something to be ashamed of. that is pretty recent, unless you are younger than 14 years old.

Suh largely benefitted from maturing which includes getting stronger, meaner. Suh was/is an animal Im pretty sure he would be trying to kill QBs with or without the Pelinis. How did their magic wand work on Crick?

you do not see a line coach and a coordinator as being 'much different'?

Not at all, meaningless baggage laying around taking up valuable positions or needing a bunch of little helpers like Santa is bad coaching recognition

In the final BCS standings, South Carolina is #9 while we're #20. I'm not quite sure how getting beat by them in the bowl game tells us where we're at. I think most of us already know we're not a top 10 team yet. If we're still screwing the pooch like we did against Wisconsin and Michigan when Martinez is a senior, I'll be more inclined to join your side of the fence.

Suh largely benefitted from maturing which includes getting stronger, meaner. Suh was/is an animal Im pretty sure he would be trying to kill QBs with or without the Pelinis. How did their magic wand work on Crick?

Are you kidding me? You think Suh would be the best DT in the NFL right now if he had transferred to Oregon State in 2008? He'd be in the NFL, but there's no way he would have been the second overall pick or considered by many to be the premier DT in the league right now.

As for Crick, you're wrong again. Crick is a damn good player. Not even close to the level Suh is, but the only person you can really compare to Suh is Haloti Ngata. Suh benefited from having the best secondary in Nebraska history playing behind him his senior season, which gave him plenty of time to reach the QB. What did Crick have his senior year? Andrew Green, Ciante Evans, Austin Cassidy, Daimion Stafford, Josh Mitchell, Corey Cooper, and a banged up Alfonzo Dennard. Plus, he tore a pec a little over halfway through the season. For those reasons, it's not even fair to compare Suh and Crick.

• Fire 1

Are you kidding me? You think Suh would be the best DT in the NFL right now if he had transferred to Oregon State in 2008? He'd be in the NFL, but there's no way he would have been the second overall pick or considered by many to be the premier DT in the league right now.

As for Crick, you're wrong again. Crick is a damn good player. Not even close to the level Suh is, but the only person you can really compare to Suh is Haloti Ngata. Suh benefited from having the best secondary in Nebraska history playing behind him his senior season, which gave him plenty of time to reach the QB. What did Crick have his senior year? Andrew Green, Ciante Evans, Austin Cassidy, Daimion Stafford, Josh Mitchell, Corey Cooper, and a banged up Alfonzo Dennard. Plus, he tore a pec a little over halfway through the season. For those reasons, it's not even fair to compare Suh and Crick.

that's what i was going to say.