Does Spurrier hold a grudge from the ’96 Fiesta Bowl beatdown?

NUance

62-24. Seriously, the ‘96 Fiesta Bowl may have been the biggest #1 over #2 beatdown in the history of college football. I wonder if Spurrier still holds a grudge from having his team humiliated by the Huskers on national TV in the biggest game of the year?

Maybe. Doubtful. It's been 15 years. We've gone through three different coaches, he's at his second or third job since then. We haven't been on his radar since that game ended. Any chance he wants "redemption" from that game is pretty minimal.

I dunno. Coaches inherently have big egos. Spurrier maybe bigger than most. I can't believe he would simply brush that night aside and forget about it. After all, it had to be fairly humiliating for him to go through.

I don't think he has forgot. His team will be ready.

Nebraska vs Florida, 1996

steve-Spurrier_display_image_display_image.jpg?1322533979

Final Score: Nebraska 62 Florida 24

Fiesta Bowl, 1996.

This was supposed to be a close game between the No. 1 team in the nation (Nebraska) and the No. 2 team (Florida).

Instead of a hard fought battle to the end, what we got was utter destruction of the Gators by Tommie Frazier and the Huskers.

Nebraska's defense contributed to the halftime score with an interception return for touchdown, as well as a safety, in the Huskers' 29-point second quarter.

It was so bad, Nebraska's back-up signal caller, Brook Berringer, led the team on two scoring drives in the fourth quarter.

Fiesta Bowl, 1996.

This was supposed to be a close game between the No. 1 team in the nation (Nebraska) and the No. 2 team (Florida).

I thought Nebraska went into the game as #2, which is kind of why they had a chip on their shoulder.

Fiesta Bowl, 1996.

I thought Nebraska went into the game as #2, which is kind of why they had a chip on their shoulder.

Nebraska was ranked #1 but Florida was favored in the game.

• Fire 1