Attrition

HuskerNMO

Maher was penciled in for a scholly about week 2 in my book. Agree, both Long/Choi deserve one as well. Long is a sophomore though, so giving him a scholly takes it away for 2 years. (seems like we generally only give juniors schollies) We should have a pretty big graduating class next year though so that might not be an issue. The only other one I can see on here is Blatchford

Longs Dad is also a Neurologist & a Ex-Husker walk-on. I don't see him asking(accepting) to be on Scholarship. (Dad gets a tax right off & the team keeps a scholly)

No way Ball returns. Bucky doesn't pay kids to stay like USC.

Correct, they only pay for QBs to transfer.

I wonder if there are any good QBs out there available to purchase, err transfer.

They already missed out on Dayne Crist....word on the street is they couldnt match what Wise was offering.

I heard Weis was $25,000 higher. Wiscy countered by putting 50 cheese wheels and a pickup load of State Street Brats on the table. But Weis ate them.

i know most people (fans) look at the star rating as some sort of gospel, however look at some of the huskers over the years that were not highly touted players and turned out to be standouts.

Exactly. Fonzie Dennard was just a three-star CB in 2008. Kinda missed on that one, didn't they?

Look at some of the Huskers over the years that were highly touted players and turned out to be standouts. (works both ways) If the star rankings meant nothing - you wouldn't have these top teams loaded up w/ 4* recruits. The fact is that the star ranking correlates primarily to the recruit's exposure and/or offer list. to me this makes perfect sense, considering if you are in high demand by top schools you must be a quality recruit, and have the "potential" to be a solid D1 pick. (florida/alabama don't recruit 135lb linebackers with no tackling ability) potential is the key behind the star ranking - plenty of these guys were standouts in high school...come into college w/ a big ego, big dreams, and big issues. they don't pan out. it in no way means they were ranking incorrectly. likewise plenty of solid players are missed mainly due to the lack of exposure they received in high school (jared crick).

star haters back up their arguments with the 2-3* guy that made it big, while ignoring all the 4* and 5* guys that did the same (in a much higher percentage). can't argue with the facts behind the rankings. what you can do is not get discouraged when we sign a 3*...because often times it's just a guy that's been overlooked.

i know most people (fans) look at the star rating as some sort of gospel, however look at some of the huskers over the years that were not highly touted players and turned out to be standouts.

Exactly. Fonzie Dennard was just a three-star CB in 2008. Kinda missed on that one, didn't they?

Look at some of the Huskers over the years that were highly touted players and turned out to be standouts. (works both ways) If the star rankings meant nothing - you wouldn't have these top teams loaded up w/ 4* recruits. The fact is that the star ranking correlates primarily to the recruit's exposure and/or offer list. to me this makes perfect sense, considering if you are in high demand by top schools you must be a quality recruit, and have the "potential" to be a solid D1 pick. (florida/alabama don't recruit 135lb linebackers with no tackling ability) potential is the key behind the star ranking - plenty of these guys were standouts in high school...come into college w/ a big ego, big dreams, and big issues. they don't pan out. it in no way means they were ranking incorrectly. likewise plenty of solid players are missed mainly due to the lack of exposure they received in high school (jared crick).

star haters back up their arguments with the 2-3* guy that made it big, while ignoring all the 4* and 5* guys that did the same (in a much higher percentage). can't argue with the facts behind the rankings. what you can do is not get discouraged when we sign a 3*...because often times it's just a guy that's been overlooked.

Of course it works both ways. It's a crapshoot to determine how talent will translate to the next level. The stars system is neither infallible nor a joke. It's a guessing game.

Heard a rumor that everyone for NU football is leaving, coaches, players, everyone. Doc Sadler will take over the football program. NU will set a record for being the only NCAA team to get 3 wins in a season while averaging only 3.4 points per game. All the Blackshirts get drafted, and Doc makes a commitment to get the offense rolling into a double-figure point game for 2013.

Of course it works both ways. It's a crapshoot to determine how talent will translate to the next level. The stars system is neither infallible nor a joke. It's a guessing game.

yes it is a crapshoot and this is why they need to be players who can be developed. our past walk on program is a strong testiment to the players who can be developed! we just have to hope we have the coaches who can develop them regardless of them being a 3 star, 5 star or walk-on!

perhaps because t-mart is the better QB? turner couldn't read defenses as a WR this year...don't see why everyone things after next spring he'll be able to take over for a 2 year starter, or beat out carnes who's been a QB for 2 years here.

Exactly.

He can't remember what routes he's supposed to run as a WR but of course he should be our starting QB. It's amazing, isn't it?

perhaps because t-mart is the better QB? turner couldn't read defenses as a WR this year...don't see why everyone things after next spring he'll be able to take over for a 2 year starter, or beat out carnes who's been a QB for 2 years here.

Exactly.

He can't remember what routes he's supposed to run as a WR but of course he should be our starting QB. It's amazing, isn't it?

Should be a lot easier when you have to know what EVERYONE is supposed to be doing instead of just yourself. :sarcasm

Not trying to dog on Jamal - I've said repeatedly that I'm a big fan - but he's got some developing to do.

I don't think anyone is saying JT will the starting QB or at least I didn't. I stated he I'd better than Carnes. And don't buy all the crap you read about him not understanding the defenses. It's about learning to react to them as a receiver vs a QB. It's not like you can scramble as a WR when the play isn't there and make it happen.