Doc's recruiting...........

Comish

Even with the facilities recruits won't come here with the current make up with the staff. What honestly really needs to happen is that Doc needs an assistant with STRONG AAU ties. TO is adamently against this. This is utter crap. 90% of the top teams in the nation have an assistant with some kind of strong former ties to AAU programs. People are kidding themselves if they think elsewise. Not everyone with ties to AAU is a snake. Secondly, DOc relies WAY to much on the JUCO route. Yes he has hit gold a couple of times mining that level, but WAY to many busts which has left him with far to much influx in his roster.

And for those questioning the Gessel commit to Iowa. Look no further than Wooodbury, another Iowa commit. He is a stud(turned down Carolina) and wanted to stay close to home, but also wanted to play with Gessel who was his AAU(there is that term AGAIN) teammate.

I absolutely agree with you.

I have been patient with Doc, but I am ready for a change. He has had more than ample time.

I think with the new facilities, we bring a new coach with a fresh perspective and the ability to bring in a few studs that want to play right away. I honestly think Nebraska is ready to embrace and support basketball, but it's just absolutely BRUTAL to watch right now. If people stop watching, the AD's hand will be forced.

Can anyone explain to me why in the hell we would have been running the weave at the begining of the half? I was embarassed to watch that garbage,and I feel bad for the players. I really thought that Doc would be able to improve his recruiting and then change his style of coaching a bit to utilize the talents that he does have. I guess not. It will not be an easy task for TO but hopefullly he has done or at least started his research to find a young upcoming star for a coach, because IMO this is the only way we can get this ship sailing in the right direction.

Most of us bought into Doc's assertion that we now have more talent than at any time since he's been here.

Then we watch the reality of Tuesday night.....................and the chasm is night and day between what we can put on the floor and what our opponents can..........

This is not a thread about Doc's substitution puzzles (such as sitting Toney immediately after scoring 5 of our first 7 points..??) or his use of time-outs, game strategies or mind-numbing style of play -------------those are all topics that deserve their own thread)

This is just a question about his recruiting strategy and successes/failures. (We all know the built in excuses of small state, few Div 1 players, no tradition, etc), but even acknowledging the limitations, how has he done recruiting?

Seems to me that we can summarize his efforts as globally scouring the world for marginal players with foot issues. I called it the 'ole' strategy..............one - legged - euros.

T.O. gives him an extension so that he can promise recruits he will be here and "supposedly" that would enable him to lure the few in-state kids to campus. Well, it didn't even work with Gessel. (I could see him going to Stanford.............but IOWA......??) :facepalm:

With the best practice facility in the country (no exaggeration) and a brand new arena................how can he NOT recruit better? I suggest it's because kids don't want to come play a dull, uninspired, boring, losing offense that is no fun to watch and no fun to play. The inextricable link between sports and entertainment has evidently not crossed the synapses in Doc's brain.

And, judging from his post game comments the other night (we lost because we weren't PATIENT enough ??), it's not likely to occur in our lifetimes.

IF kids can be lured to MANHATTAN figgin KANSAS to play ball under a combustible Frank Martin, well.......................nuff said !

:yeah

Great post Comish... i could not agree more. Question; do you think TO showed with Mike Anderson that he is more willing to cut-em-loose than we all think? (I'm really starting to scream loudly for a new coach to go with the shiny new facilities - in MY dwindling group of season ticket holders.) The money doesn't mean beans - TO could have it in an afternoon.

Good analogy with MIke Anderson. The difference might be that Anderson had experienced success before (although some would argue it was with Van Horn's players), and then the program declined; and that he was already benefiting from superior facilities, whereas Doc has not yet had the benefit of new facilities completed. Still, T.O. did show he was willing to cut a coach loose.

However, he did just renew Doc last year, which would, in retrospect, look bad for T.O. if he cuts him now.

I should be clear. I am NOT one of those guys who thinks we should always be firing people on a whim and believing the next GREAT COACH is just waiting for us to uncover him. Actually, I like Doc and wish he would succeed and have been defending him for the past few years. But, I've come to the conclusion that he is too stubborn to change and I see (like you) too many folks giving up their tickets. I'd love to be wrong, but I think postponing the inevitable is just going to make it that much harder to get fannies in the seats at the new arena.

(of course, like a masochist, I'll be there tomorrow assuming we will play better against Sparty...................and probably end up later being just as frustrated)

NU recruit among players kicked off juco team

By Lee Barfknecht WORLD-HERALD bureau

LINCOLN — A Nebraska basketball recruit who signed a letter of intent in November is among 10 players who have been kicked off the team at Southeastern (Iowa) Community College. The school isn't commenting on why Fahro "Foz'' Alihodzic, a 6-foot-10, 240-pound native of Bosnia, and nine teammates have had their scholarships revoked. LINK

This doesn't help.

LINCOLN — A Nebraska basketball recruit who signed a letter of intent in November is among 10 players who have been kicked off the team at Southeastern (Iowa) Community College. The school isn't commenting on why Fahro "Foz'' Alihodzic, a 6-foot-10, 240-pound native of Bosnia, and nine teammates have had their scholarships revoked. LINK

This doesn't help.

Wow.............

This doesn't help.

This is another case of Doc whiffing bigger than life on another JUCO kid. Yes, calling it now a HUGE swing and miss.

Even with the facilities recruits won't come here with the current make up with the staff. What honestly really needs to happen is that Doc needs an assistant with STRONG AAU ties. TO is adamently against this. This is utter crap. 90% of the top teams in the nation have an assistant with some kind of strong former ties to AAU programs. People are kidding themselves if they think elsewise. Not everyone with ties to AAU is a snake. Secondly, DOc relies WAY to much on the JUCO route. Yes he has hit gold a couple of times mining that level, but WAY to many busts which has left him with far to much influx in his roster.

And for those questioning the Gessel commit to Iowa. Look no further than Wooodbury, another Iowa commit. He is a stud(turned down Carolina) and wanted to stay close to home, but also wanted to play with Gessel who was his AAU(there is that term AGAIN) teammate.

Bingo. IMO the basketball program won't amount to anything until TO retires. The AAU in college basketball is a necessary evil.

We'll see if he can turn things around for the rest of this conference year. I like the guy as a person, but as of his stay here in Nebraska, he hasn't produced anything worth getting excited over. I understand its Nebraska basketball--and it will never overcome the shadow that football casts over it but still...

If he can't put together a decent "average" year I will want to see him go. We can't do any worse by bringing in a different coach.

We'll see if he can turn things around for the rest of this conference year. I like the guy as a person, but as of his stay here in Nebraska, he hasn't produced anything worth getting excited over. I understand its Nebraska basketball--and it will never overcome the shadow that football casts over it but still...

If he can't put together a decent "average" year I will want to see him go. We can't do any worse by bringing in a different coach.

That is the hard part is that Doc is a likeable guy and you want him to succeed, but he just isn't getting the results needed for the money that is (finally) being invested into the program.