Corey Raymond

majech

Funny thing that he said this. I just had this conversation with a guy at the coffee shop the other day - saying how I wonder if part of the problem with this team is that we walk out of the tunnel thinking "We're Nebraska" as if that still means what it used to mean. When the reality that we are NOT that Nebraska hits, these teams seem to collapse. These collapses span three coaches. They span more than a decade. The one constant is the N on the side of the helmet.

I think, maybe, it's why teams come in to Lincoln as big underdogs and give us a huge battle - or beat us (2009 ISU, 2010 NW). They know we're not that Nebraska. Maybe it's time we learned that, too.

So, the board can call out Cassidy, Thorell and others and its ok. We can complain about Carnes getting no playing time, but its "your not at practice", you don't see what the coaches see, BUT when a coach calls out his kids he is the villan. The same guy who sees them every day, coaches them, knows their abilities and limits. He basically says they quit and self destructed. Isn't that what we have all said.

I am guessing he was pi$$ed after the loss and said what every one was thinking. We haven't had a DE like Clowney since Wistrom. That kids a friggin freshman. USC's Swerringer (safety) was all over the field. If you think our talent level is close to top 10 you might be right, but we really dont pass the eyeball test compared to other top 10 programs. What some teams lack in talent, they make up for in coaching. We seem to be lacking in that department. Seems a lot of issues with the secondary as it relates to players from last year not seeing the field. Don't think for a minute that Raymond controls who plays. I was hard on him all season, but like his message, maybe not the delivery. Beck/now JP are coaching downgrades IMHO. Talent makes up for poor coaching as does great coaching with less.

I like his comments about getting punched in the mouth and punching back. We need to get tough. Wistrom/Peter bros/Minter/Brown/Booker/Trev etc would punch back. Fonzie/David/Rex punched back. Anyone else?........

• Fire 2

Funny thing that he said this. I just had this conversation with a guy at the coffee shop the other day - saying how I wonder if part of the problem with this team is that we walk out of the tunnel thinking "We're Nebraska" as if that still means what it used to mean. When the reality that we are NOT that Nebraska hits, these teams seem to collapse. These collapses span three coaches. They span more than a decade. The one constant is the N on the side of the helmet.

I think, maybe, it's why teams come in to Lincoln as big underdogs and give us a huge battle - or beat us (2009 ISU, 2010 NW). They know we're not that Nebraska. Maybe it's time we learned that, too.

Is it really that inconceivable that we start trying to fill the team with more Burkheads? I know I will get heat, but let's look at it. I know it sounds a little hokie and simple, but why not? I heard first hand that no one works harder in the weightroom then him. I'm sure that translates to other areas. I've also read excerpts of Jason Peter talking about Grant Wistrom's freshman year. I know I just talked about two Husker legends, but right now I think it may be as much about mindset as ability.

I have seen several times where Bo has indicated they want to recruit from programs were the kids know how to win. Maybe those kids just expect to win. Maybe we should go after kids that want to win. Just a thought.

• Fire 1

Great coments. In the past, we beat a team this year so badly so that for the remainder of the contract/conference etc we had already won. No one wanted face NU again after the beating that they received the previous years. We were a mean physical team that teams honestly feared to play after playing us once. We lost that edge, that mystique. Raymond, a non-Nebraska guy seems to get that with his comments. Time folks remembered what Nebraska was and get back to that. Beck this includes your crappy play calling.

Not good form to say this publicly even if it is something that he truly thinks. We miss you Marvin.

Why? We excuse Bo not being able to handle the media but we crucify an assistant coach, why does Bo get a pass when he should know better than Raymond, btw Raymond is not wrong. Or we're o.k. when the "Jamal Drill" is used by a coach (which went just as public as what Raymond said), but a coach can't say he wish he could play different players.

And we might just want to let the Marvin thing go.

Not good form to say this publicly even if it is something that he truly thinks. We miss you Marvin.

Why? We excuse Bo not being able to handle the media but we crucify an assistant coach, why does Bo get a pass when he should know better than Raymond, btw Raymond is not wrong. Or we're o.k. when the "Jamal Drill" is used by a coach (which went just as public as what Raymond said), but a coach can't say he wish he could play different players.

And we might just want to let the Marvin thing go.

there are times when every coach needs to keep their mouth shut....after a loss like this, priceless.

I have absolutely no problem with Raymond's comments, because he's right. At some point in time we have to stop worrying about hurting peoples feelings and stop accepting mediocrity. He sees it, we all see it. Aside from Dennard there was a complete lack of athleticism in the secondary. Maybe this will make the staff work even harder than they already are to get top notch talent to come play for us.

honestly, I think it was a low blow by Raymond. Marvin did more with less! Without LSU type talent, Raymond seems to be struggling. And, instead of taking it like a man, he blames it on the players. WOW!

I lost some respect for him after that. Is it taken out of context? I dont know..

Here are some stats for you:

2008 (Marvin's first year):

89th ranked passing defense

82nd ranked passing efficiency

2011:

18th ranked passing defense

25th ranked passing efficiency

How about giving the guy a little time?

• Fire 1

honestly, I think it was a low blow by Raymond. Marvin did more with less! Without LSU type talent, Raymond seems to be struggling. And, instead of taking it like a man, he blames it on the players. WOW!

I lost some respect for him after that. Is it taken out of context? I dont know..

2011:

He took over an established system. Marvin was trying to undo all the damage done by that one guy, can't remember his name. Swim? Swammi? Slippy? Slappy? Swenson? Swanson? Cosgrove! I was way off

2011:

He took over an established system. Marvin was trying to undo all the damage done by that one guy, can't remember his name. Swim? Swammi? Slippy? Slappy? Swenson? Swanson? Cosgrove! I was way off

He took over an established system, with 3 of 4 new starters who saw very little playing time last year (save for Evans, who got yanked last year after one bad play). I was also told that Marvin Sanders did more with less. Stats don't seem to say so, cause 2008 he had less (with 3 of 4 returning starters) and finished a lot worst.

Raymond's been here one year. His group has shown improvement throughout the year. Give him more time.

Bravo Corey, bravo. Finally a coach with the sack to say it.

Cassidy and Thorell had no business getting any PT this year. Smith, Osborne, Bell, and some other guys earned their chance, but they did not get it. Maybe this will help our new (or old?) DC to make better future decisions rather than continuing with past mistakes. Or maybe they will be stubborn ..

2011:

valid numbers, but hard to compare simply due to the teams we faced (raymon in the running B1G and Marvin in pass happy B12). you could look at passes defended and interceptions (lower this year than in 2008), but again, its too hard to compare the two simply because of who we played.

That 'established' secondary that was sans

1. Prince

2. Hagg

3. Gomes

4. Courtney Osborne ("injury" or "doghouse" - take your pick)

5. Fonz for the early part of the year

?