I think fans expect unrealistic results

Gill got screwed, but someone wanted a big name.

We have a good coach, I am not sure he is a good head coach, or that he ever will be. He has surrounded himself with loyal people, sometimes that is not the best answer. Sometimes nothing can be better. In my book he needs another two years.

If the offense is not established by then.

If the deffense is not stable and regular.

If the recuriting is not at a top 15 average.

He will need to go. Because we will have another two years of above average results. Nothing spectacular, nothing dismal, but not what the University nor its fan base is looking for.

I think he can accomplish the goals, but only if he starts learning to be dynamic, venturing, trying to be his own man, and quit following this unwritten guide that he is so steadfast on.

We will always be at a recruiting disadvantage. He has to find the kids that will make the difference. The Burkeheads, the Suh's. Kids that not everyone was after but have the heart and desire to be the best they can be. But we have to recruit the players that Bama, LSU, SC go after, we have to have a presence in those circles. Win or lose, we have to try. We have to make them think of us. Very few list us as an option. We need to be an option for the top kids.

They have to play if they are good enough, they can not burn red shirts and never see the field. He has to start trusting the younger kids, they have to carry their weight and learn or we will never have depth. The kids today want to play today, every other program uses their freshmen and they do well with them. You play the freshmen, you will recruit better.

A lot for a first time coach to learn, and he has taken on a lot of other jobs he did not need to. I hope he figures it all out in the next two years. We can not have another coaching change for failure. The program is on a slippery slope, he has to succeed.

Not one sane person would have picked nu to win a national title. Most preseason picked us to go 8-?/9-?....so what's the fuss about? We have a young team and young staff and can't recruit sec top atheletes at every position every year. It took the great Tom osborne 20 years to get it just right to win. People need to settle down. Did I expect to win them all?....yep...will we win them all?...nope. Be patient and let coaches be coaches. It's obvious certain things need addressing but its not as doom and gloom as it seems. Firing all your coaches for going 9-4 is exactly what set nu back a decade. We don't have the ability to recruit and bounce right back from a program overhaul in a year or two. It is a 5-10 year upward battle to build a program back up. People forget nebraska is not a tourist destination. Kids don't come here easily. Can't wait for next year! GBR

TO wasn't making millions either. It's different today. We pay these coaches a ton of money to win NOW, not in 3 or 4 or 20 years. Why can't we recruit SEC type players? LSU, and Bama keep reloading, OU stays in the hunt every year, and so should we. Bo needs to step his game up before we start losing all of our recruits to Ohio St., Michigan and Wisconsin. Also, if it's a 5-10 year upward battle then what happened to Turner Gill at KU. They too want to compete and win NOW, not in 10 years.

We can't currently recruit SEC caliber players for multiple reasons at this point for multiple reasons. For starters blue chip type players want to be on teams with current winning traditions in the hopes that they too will be able to be on a bowl, conference champ, national champ winning team. That pretty much counts out our program. The Nebraska of the 90's is no more. I live in SEC/ACC country and in the 90's teams here loved to hate us kinda like Nebraska fans hating teams out of Florida back then. Back then I always heard comments when I would wear my Husker gear. Now I walk into to a sports bar and not a single comment is made unless they want to ask me about our move from the big 12 to the B10. We as hard as it is to accept have slipped into mediocrity.

Second how can we expect truly talented players to come to Nebraska when they aren't gonna see play time (even when were beating down a FCS non-conference team). Bo doesn't play enough of his non-starters to encourage incoming players. That is if that potential player even follows Nebraska football. Which is doubtful unless they come from a transplanted Husker household. However once they are recruited I bet they pay attention to the fact that Bo simple doesn't play anyone off the bench.

Up coming players also want to play in systems that are going to give them a better chance at making it to the next level of play. So with our current offensive scheme it will be extremely difficult to recruit players wanting to move on to the next level. High end QB recruits are not going to be interested in an option style offense because they have almost no chance of moving on to the next level as a QB. WR's will be reluctant to come here because they will not be playing in a system that will show case their talents.

Also I would say that once they begin to pay attention to our football program Bo's antics on and off the field are going to be a major turn off for many recruits. Who wants to play on a losing team with a coach that clearly can't control his anger? No thanks, I'd go play for Dabo Swinney at Clemson or any number of ACC/SEC coaches/teams before I would play for Bo and the current Husker program.

Oh and yes at 9-4 and possibly not ranked in the top 20 or 25 makes Nebraska a losing team by SEC fan standards.

We have a good coach, I am not sure he is a good head coach, or that he ever will be. He has surrounded himself with loyal people, sometimes that is not the best answer. Sometimes nothing can be better. In my book he needs another two years.

He will need to go. Because we will have another two years of above average results. Nothing spectacular, nothing dismal, but not what the University nor its fan base is looking for.

I think he can accomplish the goals, but only if he starts learning to be dynamic, venturing, trying to be his own man, and quit following this unwritten guide that he is so steadfast on.

We will always be at a recruiting disadvantage. He has to find the kids that will make the difference. The Burkeheads, the Suh's. Kids that not everyone was after but have the heart and desire to be the best they can be. But we have to recruit the players that Bama, LSU, SC go after, we have to have a presence in those circles. Win or lose, we have to try. We have to make them think of us. Very few list us as an option. We need to be an option for the top kids.

They have to play if they are good enough, they can not burn red shirts and never see the field. He has to start trusting the younger kids, they have to carry their weight and learn or we will never have depth. The kids today want to play today, every other program uses their freshmen and they do well with them. You play the freshmen, you will recruit better.

A lot for a first time coach to learn, and he has taken on a lot of other jobs he did not need to. I hope he figures it all out in the next two years. We can not have another coaching change for failure. The program is on a slippery slope, he has to succeed.

so, when should we schedule Bo for this frontal labotomy?

Not one sane person would have picked nu to win a national title. Most preseason picked us to go 8-?/9-?....so what's the fuss about? We have a young team and young staff and can't recruit sec top atheletes at every position every year. It took the great Tom osborne 20 years to get it just right to win. People need to settle down. Did I expect to win them all?....yep...will we win them all?...nope. Be patient and let coaches be coaches. It's obvious certain things need addressing but its not as doom and gloom as it seems. Firing all your coaches for going 9-4 is exactly what set nu back a decade. We don't have the ability to recruit and bounce right back from a program overhaul in a year or two. It is a 5-10 year upward battle to build a program back up. People forget nebraska is not a tourist destination. Kids don't come here easily. Can't wait for next year! GBR

I expect the same thing the fans at Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State all expect. To compete for the conference title EVERY YEAR. Should we have lower expectations than teams in the same conference, is states and cities that are equal to, or less attractive than Lincoln?! Hell no! We got our asses handed to us by two of those teams, and probably by 3 of them next year. Is the national title attainable every year, no and only a fool would tell you it is, but if you have given up on winning the conference, then go rout for Iowa or Missouri. Cuz right now that is what we are. Irrelevent. We are over a decade since winning a stinking conference title, and it looks right now like we are just like the Hawkeyes and the Tigers. Win some games, but win no hardware.

I was listening to Mitch Sherman on 1620 The Zone this afternoon and he said that Nebraska DOES try to recruit those top kids but let's face it, right now at this point in our plan we are not in the national conversation. It's sad to admit that but it's true. Losing our bowl game didn't help matters much but I like to think there are always those kids out there who see a team that might be struggling and go with that team just so that they can make a difference. I'm hoping we get some of those kids.

When I see how some of the freshmen play, it makes me wonder if they are ready to play. He's playing some freshmen but I'm concerned that he doesn't put them in ever when we're winning. I also think (imo) that he needs to put them in when another player is having an off game. We have a pretty deep bench at some positions. The sub couldn't play any worse than the person who is flubbing up. I thought he should've pulled Yoshi last night. Good grief! The guy kept making the same mistake! (I think he was hurt-they should've taken him out.) There are plenty of NU kids that would LOVE to get in the game-so get them into the game!

I think the reason we are the best fans in college football is because we are passionate. Everyone likes to be a monday morning quarterback but its just hard because we as fans are not in the locker room and dont know all the facts. I respect everyone's opinion but I think sometimes we have to hit the personal reset button and realize that you can't go undefeated every year. I expect better than this season but can be realistic as to why it happened. I think things are going well and look forward to next season.

but you are expected to be competitive in bowl games. Thats at any school.

Not one sane person would have picked nu to win a national title. Most preseason picked us to go 8-?/9-?....so what's the fuss about?

National championship? No. Top 2 in our division? Yes. And we got crushed in 3 games and in the fourth one player got picked on too many times without the coaches doing anything about. I'm not saying fire anyone, but something needs to change or happen in the offseason.

I think there is good stuff in this thread. I think current coaches need a gut check. I think players need to hold each other accountable. I also think oline and dline need both talent infusions and coaching changes. Facts are that we have a legitimate proven defensive coach. If offense scores 30 points a game it gives us a solid shot. Problem has been offensive consistency.

I don't necessarily expect 13-0 or 12-1 every year. Or even 10-3. The records are made out to be far more significant than they are... you can go 10-3 against a bad schedule and be dissatisfied, but 10-3 with a division title and a bowl win suddenly seems a lot more palatable.

What I do expect, and I don't think it is unreasonable at all for anyone else to expect, is this:

- Being competitive in losses, instead of losing by scores like 48-17 or 45-17

- Not habitually losing to unranked teams with losing records on your home field

- Beating the weakest teams on the schedule by large margins on occasion, in part to allow extended reps for second, third, and fourth string players at skill positions

- An offensive line that doesn't commit three false start penalties in four plays

- Wide receivers who catch the football, which, you know, is kind of the whole point of playing wide receiver

- Not turning the ball over. Period.

- MAKING and FINISHING tackles when they are in position to do so, instead of completely missing the player (inevitable resulting in a long QB scramble or other large gain on busted play)

- Quite simply, just sound, fundamental football.

• Fire 2

Can anyone guess what our record is over the last 17 games? It blew my mind when someone told me. I still support Bo, i just hope he rights the ship.

btw, I dont think anyone here really thought we would go undefeated this season. Most would have been happy with a conf championship and a solid BCS performance.

What kind of crap is that...Yes, let's use our last 17 games to say how crappy of a coach Bo Pelini is. That's like me saying Bo is 4-0 in his first 4 games of the season--he's a really good coach.

I'll never like losses, but it's part of the deal. The issue I have with this entire situation is the lack of tenacity from our team and the inconsistency that comes with it. I back Bo 110%, no question, but I question his decisions as far as coordinators go and what he and his staff are teaching these young men at times. If I could see consistent tenacity, aggressiveness, and consistency I could deal with the loses ALOT better. That would mean we played fairly mistake free football and the other team was just plain better.