Jason Peter on Bo Pelini

I am embarrassed by many of the things Bo has done over the last few years. This Nebraska team has made ESPN a few times over the last few years. Unfortunately they show more footage of the head coach on the sidelines than they do of the football team. I'm rooting for Bo. I'm rooting for Bo to make this team great and for Bo to mature as a head coach. Bo has a lot of growing to do in his position at Nebraska. His team clearly has a lot of growing to do as well. If Bo can't show the ability to grow a team and grow himself then he can pack his sh#t and carry on and I will no longer support him. I will support the next guy. I root for this team before I root for Bo Pelini. I had just hoped he would be a guy that could turn things around and bring some defense back to this team.

Uh, do you remember 2009? We were the 2nd best defense.

I have no problem with Bo wanting to take HIS program in a direction he envisions. This is not TOs team anymore... There's nothing wrong with Bo trying to establish it's own identity... Give him time to find his way. Remember this hire was mostly applauded and Bo had never ran a program on any level. He's gotta feel his way in some situations. Part of the reason Bo is criticized is mostly the reason why his defenses were great and why players esp. On defense love playing for him. You gotta have a level of emotion to coach that side if the ball. Now does he take his tirades and tantrums too long? Yes. But all HCs throw them he just seems to not be able to move on in prompt time. Again this is HiS program now and as much as we want him to run it like our living legend it's just nit gonna happen. I remember TO being criticized for not showing any fire! And after he won it was ok the only emotion he showed was that bitter face we all get after putting in a fresh piece of gum. It took over 20 years for us to completely accept his passive sideline demeanor. Give Bo who is obviously a perfectionist time to find a middle ground... By the way when spurrier was going off on the officials the camera was on him then quickly off. When Bo did it the cameras turned it into a half hour special as opposed to moving on to more pressing matters like showing the play that has him upset!

I gotta agree with the double nickel. Seems to me as soon as Bo melts down cuz of some stupid call or play, the teams follows. And after about 3 meltdowns, the team never recovers. He seems like a very negative person, on the field and in interviews. And something that goes a long way that we never see......positive reinforcement.

I support Bo, but there is no question his antics are becoming the visual icon for the program for many outside the state.

When I talk to friends around the country they are almost unanimous in their assertion that Bo being the face of our program is unfathomable. They wonder how a program that has invested so much in trying to do things the right way (obviously a lot of that is due to T.O.) puts up with an image that flies in the face of our historical image. (They liken it to contrary branding. Remember, this is their take, not mine). But, it is a bit of a concern when you hear how others are perceiving our program now.

Jason Peter needs to shut his mouth and support his alma mater. If you don't think that we are heading in the right direction, just sit back and wait. I am confident that you will be proved wrong.

In a way some would say he is supporting his alma mater. By speaking on behalf of them...Many agree on this board.

+1

I have no problem with Bo wanting to take HIS program in a direction he envisions. This is not TOs team anymore... There's nothing wrong with Bo trying to establish it's own identity... Give him time to find his way. Remember this hire was mostly applauded and Bo had never ran a program on any level. He's gotta feel his way in some situations. Part of the reason Bo is criticized is mostly the reason why his defenses were great and why players esp. On defense love playing for him. You gotta have a level of emotion to coach that side if the ball. Now does he take his tirades and tantrums too long? Yes. But all HCs throw them he just seems to not be able to move on in prompt time. Again this is HiS program now and as much as we want him to run it like our living legend it's just nit gonna happen. I remember TO being criticized for not showing any fire! And after he won it was ok the only emotion he showed was that bitter face we all get after putting in a fresh piece of gum. It took over 20 years for us to completely accept his passive sideline demeanor. Give Bo who is obviously a perfectionist time to find a middle ground... By the way when spurrier was going off on the officials the camera was on him then quickly off. When Bo did it the cameras turned it into a half hour special as opposed to moving on to more pressing matters like showing the play that has him upset!

well, right now, Bo's identity sucks and he is embarassing our program.....

1. I think the impact of Bo's yelling is far overblown. Did the refs really throw more flags because he was yelling? I didnt see that, but i did see them blow a bunch of calls before he did. I mean, if Yoshi stands up before the ball is snapped 15 times in a row theyre gonna call it whether Bo is yelling or not. Did his yelling really cause Yoshi to do that? Im thinking not.

2. Jason Peter was a great player and i loved the nasty attiude he and his teammmates had back in the day. I wish the players today had more of it. Lets not kid ourselves though, if he was in some of the same situations Bo has been in i have a hard time believing Jason wouldnt have the same meltdowns, if not worse.

3. To the poster who was getting crap from his SC alum buddies. They might wanna take a look at their own coach before bragging too much. Very few coaches ever, were bigger yelling crybabies than the old ball coach himself! Including some moments in the bowl game.

4.Why does it really matter what the media says? Really has no impact at all in my opinion.The game is played on the field not in the newspaper.

• Fire 1

Per Matt Shick's twitter, "If you're gonna act like that and you're gonna be that sort of ass, then you'd better start winning championships and you'd better start competing for championships."

I have always liked Jason Peter. He does not mince words and tells it like it is. I respect him for that. I have personally met him and even though he has had some difficulties in his life, he has his act straightened out. I often thought he should be coaching our D line. Unlike most of the folks on this board, he actually knows what it is (what it takes to compete) for and win Conference/ National Championships. He was on a team that kicked rears and took names. The teams he was on at NU competed at the highest level. And believe me, they competed on every play. It is what we lack on our recent and current team. He told me once that when you put on that helmet with the block "N" on the side, you were all in, completely committed. We could use a heavy dose of that immediately.

• Fire 1

I actually don't think anyone would be having this argument had the defense had not been so good in 2009. They didn't lead in all the categories like Bama this year, but Nebraska's defense was the best in the nation in 09. In 2008, Ganz led a somewhat productive offense? The transitive conclusion? Bo has the ability to put together the best defense in the nation and a legitimate offense, why can't he do it in one year? Saban won the 'ship in just a few years, why hasn't Bo done it yet?

Nebraska fans got a taste of an elite team too early and which spiked their appetite. Four embarrassing losses in one year following back-to-back 10 win seasons is simply fuel to that fire.