Jason Peter on Bo Pelini

Had my uncle (who has quite a few years of 'Husker watching experience and wisdom on me...) say this the other day:

"Bo Pelini's sideline demeanor is very similar to that of (Bob) Devaney's. Bo isn't saying anything or doing anything that Devaney didn't say or do himself.

It's just that Bo doesn't make nice with the officials after or before the game, and Bob didn't have TV cameras on him all game, every game, to capture his every move."

I personally don't have the experience with the Devaney-era to validate such a statement, but it does make sense to me, to some degree. I would like to hear from some other Nebraska fans that have Devaney-era experience to see if my uncle's recollections are valid.

Just curious, how many people bashing Jason Peter now were cheering him on when he was taking Callahan to task for his coaching performance?

Exactly! Jason Peter knows what the hell he is talking about. I would put him up against any one of the D line we have now. He would kick their Azzzzes.

• Fire 1

Just curious, how many people bashing Jason Peter now were cheering him on when he was taking Callahan to task for his coaching performance?

Exactly! Jason Peter knows what the hell he is talking about. I would put him up against any one of the D line we have now. He would kick their Azzzzes.

Exactly. The man has more passion for this program than anyone I've seen in or around this program in a long time. He has more guts and toughness than any single player on this current defense too. Jason Peter and Tommie Frazier happen to be two of my favorite former Huskers. One, because of the way they played the game and represented Nebraska. Two, because they are honest, don't sugarcoat a damn thing and they genuinely want to see this program dominate again. Whether their opinions are right or wrong, (they are usually right) the fact is they say what they believe and they have insight into this program.

Exactly. The man has more passion for this program than anyone I've seen in or around this program in a long time. He has more guts and toughness than any single player on this current defense too. Jason Peter and Tommie Frazier happen to be two of my favorite former Huskers. One, because of the way they played the game and represented Nebraska. Two, because they are honest, don't sugarcoat a damn thing and they genuinely want to see this program dominate again. Whether their opinions are right or wrong, (they are usually right) the fact is they say what they believe and they have insight into this program.

And honestly, I don't think anyone is debating that they have insight into this program. Where some people, myself included have a problem is when a person like Jason Peter, who although he did tremendous things for this program, is a former drug addict calls out our coach on his character.

Another thing, do you think Jason would be saying anything about Bo Pelini if we were winning 10-11 games a year, were constantly in CCGs and BCS games with the occasional MNC? It'd be okay when we're winning, but when we're losing it's not. That's a shi**y double standard.

"If you're gonna act like that and you're gonna be that sort of ass, then you'd better start winning championships and you'd better start competing for championships."

I don't have a problem with that. Bo doesn't go out his way to be a nice guy. If success doesn't come he won't have as many people on his side as someone who isn't as irritating at times to the press, fans and officials. It's just a fact.

I don't have a problem with that. Bo doesn't go out his way to be a nice guy. If success doesn't come he won't have as many people on his side as someone who isn't as irritating at times to the press, fans and officials. It's just a fact.

I can't get behind that. The few times I've met Coach Pelini he was very gracious, charming, and funny. He also has a firm handshake.

I can't get behind that. The few times I've met Coach Pelini he was very gracious, charming, and funny. He also has a firm handshake.

I've never met Bo but would like to. I disagree with the above as well only because the only 'view' we get of Bo is what the media decides to show us. I will forever have the post presser from this year's Penn State game engraved in my mind. If you didn't get a chance to see that-go find it on YouTube. What a humbled, vulnerable individual! Bo was so open and honest. I hope to see more of that side of Bo next year.

There's a lot to be said for a firm handshake. Back in the day, that's how you decided on the character of a man. I find it to still be true today. I would've loved it if my son had lived. His Dad and I would've taught him to always shake hands with a firm handshake.

@ Bye Bye Big XII

What are you talkng about? Of course he wouldn't be ranting if we were winning 10 or 11 games a year and have a chance at playing for a NC and consistently playing the the BCS Bowls. That's the whole reason he is ranting.... we aren't playing for any of that, hence his ranting!? lol! What aren't you getting here?

@ Bye Bye Big XII

What are you talkng about? Of course he wouldn't be ranting if we were winning 10 or 11 games a year and have a chance at playing for a NC and consistently playing the the BCS Bowls. That's the whole reason he is ranting.... we aren't playing for any of that, hence his ranting!? lol! What aren't you getting here?

What I'm getting at is that this whole thing is a double standard. Oh yes it's fine if Nebraska is winning games, then Pelini's behavior is okay. If Nebraska isn't winning games, then it must be because of Pelini's character.

The point is: Bo Pelini is the same person no matter if the Huskers are winning or if they are losing. So the people who have a problem with Pelini's attitudes should always have a problem with it, win or lose. But they don't. They would be all okay and happy with Bo if Nebraska was winning.

Double standards much?

The fact is, alot of the husker fan base doesn't like how Bo behaves on the sideline on occassion with his temper getting out of control. You can have passion and emotion and show it outwardly without getting that "I'm going to kill you" look on your face and flailing your arms around and taking your finger and pointing it at another persons chest, and then keep ranting on about something that happened 3 plays ago instead of keeping your head in the game and coach the damn game. No wonder, our D was falling apart!

All Jason is saying is, if Bo isn't being as successful as a coach as is expected by the Husker faithful, and for that matter as successful as he thought he would be, by stating the goal of a conference championship by now, then he better at least be acting as professional as he possibly can because by not doing so just brings the wrong impression and a sense that he isn't in control and unable to correct the problems that are causing the Huskers losses that shouldn't be there!

That's the sense i get anyway. He's mad because he's frustrated with how the Huskers fall apart and are always not very disciplined and his anger stems from not being able to recognize why these problems are still there and is not happy about it!

I too have met Bo and he was a very gracious funny and just an overall nice guy. Please, don't take what the media tries to spin and believe that to be absolute truth.

The fact is, alot of the husker fan base doesn't like how Bo behaves on the sideline on occassion with his temper getting out of control. You can have passion and emotion and show it outwardly without getting that "I'm going to kill you" look on your face and flailing your arms around and taking your finger and pointing it at another persons chest, and then keep ranting on about something that happened 3 plays ago instead of keeping your head in the game and coach the damn game. No wonder, our D was falling apart!

All Jason is saying is, if Bo isn't being as successful as a coach as is expected by the Husker faithful, and for that matter as successful as he thought he would be, by stating the goal of a conference championship by now, then he better at least be acting as professional as he possibly can because by not doing so just brings the wrong impression and a sense that he isn't in control and unable to correct the problems that are causing the Huskers losses that shouldn't be there!

That's the sense i get anyway. He's mad because he's frustrated with how the Huskers fall apart and are always not very disciplined and his anger stems from not being able to recognize why these problems are still there and is not happy about it!

Then for all intents and purposes he should apply to be the next football coach at Nebraska. Then when the Huskers are losing or falling apart, he can act professionally as possible by not exhibiting his emotions while the media and fans grill him leading to his firing.

The answers are simply not as simple as a lot of people, former players included claim them to be.

Yes i agree they aren't that simple obviously, but was simply trying to put into some sort of context what i think he was getting at. Remember he played under a man who is almost saint like in this state and who never exhibited one time the kind of behavior Bo has in his short lived coaching career. So it is possible!