The DUH-Stick

Since most here wanna compare Bo to TO all the time :facepalm: I guess I'll pile on. It took TO 10 year? 11? before he played for a National Championship. So to use the excuse "we play in a championship game every decade bla bla bla" well I have some bad news for you, Bo has 8 seasons before this decade is up. Solich was in one last decade. Hate to say but this is an idiotic point of view. It's as bad as bagging on Bo because we are 10-7 in our last 17 games. Get grip. No more beating around the bush. People that want Bo gone are idiots. Simple as that.

Where in this thread has anyone said that Bo should be gone? You seem a little sensitive, lol. There was a point brought up about us playing for NC's in every decade since the 70's, which is interesting. We have gone over a decade since NEBRASKA, not Bo, has played for a NC. It seems to be a curios question as to when, since the streak began, we have gone 10 years without playing for a NC. If you read this a Bo needs to be fired, you must not read well, lol.

I made a simple remark of my opinion. It had nothing to do with what was said in the op. My patience is in fact running low with the unrealistic expectations of so many "fans". No, these arguments are not at the op of this thread, just to so many fans in general. There was a thread titled "Bo should go" after the northwestern game, with many replying in the affirmative. I understand your calling me out on my opinions and that is fine, but my statement is not out of the blue that such a thing has never been stated. I was basically responding to the second post that basically stated that it is unaccpetable for us to wait till 2027 to play for a title, allowing Bo to build for 15 years to do, when it's already been 10 since the last time. I dont see how it's Bo's fault that the 10 years previous to his reign were so demising that it may even be incorrectible. We dont know that. This place has had so much success that came from Mystique alone. Last decade we lost that mystique. Everything was thrown out that made it special here. We lost the edge of playing at home and still havent gotten back. People are not afraid of us anymore. Teams dont come into Memorial Stadium with doubt in their minds, now they roll in with confidence. My point is Bo took over a program that was severly beatin' down, Osborne and Solich each took over established national powerhouses. It's simply gonna take time to reestablish the things that made this place great. Unil then 9-10 wins and an occasional conference championship game should have to do. Hence, I disagree with those wanting to start over again with a different coach. Other points are on the coaching staff being so young and inexperiences. Tom's staff late in his career was a bunch of guys that had been with him for a long time, so I'm sure when they were hired they were inexperienced. I just believe Bo is building for a long-term future, and I know that's tough for our "win now" society, but hopefully everyone will learn to sit back, roll with it, and let something great develop.

• Fire 1

After decades of frustration, TO created a perfect storm for 5 seasons that simply will NEVER be repeated by anyone again. We have to move on and realize that hopefully in the next 15 years BO can create a perfect storm, too. Meanwhile, we gotta settle for some 3 or 4 loss seasons.

In the 70's Nebraska played in 2 National Title Games, 80's they played in 1 National Title Game, 90's they played in 4 National Title Games, 2000's they played in 1 National Title Game. Let that sink in a little bit. They have played in at least 1 Title Game every decade since the 70's. Nebraska was good WAY BEFORE THE 90's.

You're basically saying that Nebraska fans should wait another 15 years to possibly play in a National Title game? That's 2027. You're telling me Nebraska should go from 2001 to 2027 without playing for a National Title? 26 years? Almost 3 decades? When they have played in a title game every decade since the 60's.

Sorry, you are wrong. I HAVE WAY HIGHER EXPECTATIONS THAN THIS. NEBRASKA IS BETTER THAN THIS.

What do you talk about here? Seems like you use this mystical word, "national championship" a lot. I also love that when people try to back their arguments up, they have to insult the person countering them, just shows how weak of an argument they have I guess.

Since most here wanna compare Bo to TO all the time :facepalm: I guess I'll pile on. It took TO 10 year? 11? before he played for a National Championship. So to use the excuse "we play in a championship game every decade bla bla bla" well I have some bad news for you, Bo has 8 seasons before this decade is up. Solich was in one last decade. Hate to say but this is an idiotic point of view. It's as bad as bagging on Bo because we are 10-7 in our last 17 games. Get grip. No more beating around the bush. People that want Bo gone are idiots. Simple as that.

Where in this thread has anyone said that Bo should be gone? You seem a little sensitive, lol. There was a point brought up about us playing for NC's in every decade since the 70's, which is interesting. We have gone over a decade since NEBRASKA, not Bo, has played for a NC. It seems to be a curios question as to when, since the streak began, we have gone 10 years without playing for a NC. If you read this a Bo needs to be fired, you must not read well, lol.

I made a simple remark of my opinion. It had nothing to do with what was said in the op. My patience is in fact running low with the unrealistic expectations of so many "fans". No, these arguments are not at the op of this thread, just to so many fans in general. There was a thread titled "Bo should go" after the northwestern game, with many replying in the affirmative. I understand your calling me out on my opinions and that is fine, but my statement is not out of the blue that such a thing has never been stated. I was basically responding to the second post that basically stated that it is unaccpetable for us to wait till 2027 to play for a title, allowing Bo to build for 15 years to do, when it's already been 10 since the last time. I dont see how it's Bo's fault that the 10 years previous to his reign were so demising that it may even be incorrectible. We dont know that. This place has had so much success that came from Mystique alone. Last decade we lost that mystique. Everything was thrown out that made it special here. We lost the edge of playing at home and still havent gotten back. People are not afraid of us anymore. Teams dont come into Memorial Stadium with doubt in their minds, now they roll in with confidence. My point is Bo took over a program that was severly beatin' down, Osborne and Solich each took over established national powerhouses. It's simply gonna take time to reestablish the things that made this place great. Unil then 9-10 wins and an occasional conference championship game should have to do. Hence, I disagree with those wanting to start over again with a different coach. Other points are on the coaching staff being so young and inexperiences. Tom's staff late in his career was a bunch of guys that had been with him for a long time, so I'm sure when they were hired they were inexperienced. I just believe Bo is building for a long-term future, and I know that's tough for our "win now" society, but hopefully everyone will learn to sit back, roll with it, and let something great develop.

Great post...I made this same statement not to long ago and agree that we need to relax and let the coaches do their jobs they way they know how and the way they want.

You really don't think we made ANY progress this year? I disagree (humbly :)) Taylor managed the game sooooo much better than last year, Bo is MUCH calmer on the sidelines (I know-still has along way to go but he is improving), we were actually able to contain a mobile quarterback by the end of the year. THAT is progress. Maybe we didn't make as much measurable progress but I think that depends on your criteria. What were Bo's goals/objectives for this year? I don't know, but to say that we didn't make ANY progress-sorry I don't buy it (jmho) .

We averaged less points per game and gave up more points per game with same number of losses and a worse in-conference record. Spin it however you want but I didn't see much for progress.

It's not that I don't think any progress was made, because there definitely was in some areas (like you mentioned). But we also went backwards in other areas due to losing some very good players, changing coaches or whatever. I just think, overall, the progress in some areas was generally offset by slipping in others.

You've got some good points but I'll look at a couple:

I think folks are tired of the following:

Losing at home

Losing to unranked opponents

I don't like it any more than anyone else. But you also have to look around. You phrased it slightly differently but a lot of people say "losing to teams we shouldn't." I did some checking on this awhile ago (I'd have to start over on "unranked" so I'll use the "shouldn't lose to" for now). By my count, LSU, Alabama, Kansas St. and one other team (can't remember which now) were the only teams that hadn't lost to someone they "shouldn't lose to" in the last two years. That's it - only four teams have gone TWO YEARS without losing to "someone they shouldn't". We have a good team but not a great team. I wish we had a great team but we don't. Neither does most the rest of the country. We're far, far ahead of where we were although we didn't make progress this year. Even being a really good team doesn't make you immune (just ask Okie St. or Wisconsin). That's just how college football is now.

Off the top of my head. Oregon? Stanford? Arkansas? Hell, Iowa State? Not good records, but have they really lost to teams that they "shouldn't" have lost to?

See, that's what I get for trying to do it from memory.

Oregon, Stanford and Arkansas would be there along with LSU which should have been the four. K St. was OK this year but they were terrible last year. I think you could make an arguement that Alabama "shouldn't have" lost to 9-5 South Carolina last year but they might have been the fifth.

So that's 4-5 over the last two years. If you think anyone would be happy going 5-7 then 6-7 like Iowa St. just so they didn't lose to someone they "shouldn't have", be my guest.

Looking at elite teams since the NU BobFather era began. AP National Championships by the top all time winning teams in history/

Alabama went from 66 to 79 to 91 to 2009 - roughly every 20 years between MNC

Texas went from 70 to 2005 - 35 years

OU from 74, 75 to 85 - 2001 - roughly every 20 years

Notre Dame 66, 73, 77, 88

USC 62, 67, 72, 2003, 04

NU 70, 71, 94, 95, 97

Michigan 97

Ohio State 68, 2002

Fixed it for you.

Not in the AP.

Don't give a crap. Look at my sig...one of those giant trophies witht he crystal football is for our championship in 1997...and we won the bowl alliance game...mich. wasn't in the bowl alliance game.

Exactly. Who gives a rip about the Pac-10/Big Ten's little exclusivity party back in the 90s? They were stupid and blind not to join the bowl alliance and they don't get a share of the 97 title in my eyes. If they wanted to be champions they should have played the best of the best, not some hack team on a hot streak.

I find it hard to stomach Nebraska fans who would give the 1997 title to Michigan rather than Nebraska. We were willing to play them. They were not willing to play us. Case closed.

+1 common ground is a beautiful thing :bigredn:

Looking at elite teams since the NU BobFather era began. AP National Championships by the top all time winning teams in history/

USC 62, 67, 72, 2003, 04

NU 70, 71, 94, 95,

Michigan 97

Ohio State 68, 2002

I think you see my point? When you look at actually winning national championships (playing for a national championship is usually undefinable in a non-play off system, for example, did Alabama "play" us for a nationalship in the orange bowl in 1971 or would OU have been #1 if we lost to Alabama?) see here for examples of how many teams were considered national champions by various entities since 1960. http://en.wikipedia...._Division_I_FBS

So, to say it could take 15 years under Bo to create a perfect storm of talent, attitude, luck, schedule and coaching to win a national championship is consistant with what history teaches us about college football "dynasties"

haha - that's says michigan 97 LOL

• Fire 1

Are you Bo's dad or something. I'm never seen anyone so voracious in their defense of someone else. I applaud how staunchly you defend how you feel, but quite frankly it gets a little old your calling everyone idiots if they aren't on the Bo bandwagon. There are people out there who are actually quite knowlegable about the game who are not big Bo fans. It must be wonderful to have all the definitive anwers.

USC 62, 67, 72, 2003, 04

NU 70, 71, 94, 95, 97

Michigan 97

Ohio State 68, 2002

Fixed it for you.

Not in the AP.

Don't give a crap. Look at my sig...one of those giant trophies witht he crystal football is for our championship in 1997...and we won the bowl alliance game...mich. wasn't in the bowl alliance game.

Exactly. Who gives a rip about the Pac-10/Big Ten's little exclusivity party back in the 90s? They were stupid and blind not to join the bowl alliance and they don't get a share of the 97 title in my eyes. If they wanted to be champions they should have played the best of the best, not some hack team on a hot streak.

I find it hard to stomach Nebraska fans who would give the 1997 title to Michigan rather than Nebraska. We were willing to play them. They were not willing to play us. Case closed.

Exactly knapp. And Ronz? dude? What up? NU would've destroyed Brian Griese and Michigan that year. Did you see what our D did to Manning? They had to pull Peyton Manning and put in Tee Martin just to keep him alive. Gotta seriously wonder about any supposed Husker fan who tries to claim Michigan won the 97 title. I am speechless.

Are you Bo's dad or something. I'm never seen anyone so voracious in their defense of someone else. I applaud how staunchly you defend how you feel, but quite frankly it gets a little old your calling everyone idiots if they aren't on the Bo bandwagon. There are people out there who are actually quite knowlegable about the game who are not big Bo fans. It must be wonderful to have all the definitive anwers.

No I am not Bo's dad. He died, well, pretty much exactly 3 years ago. And there's a big difference between not being a fan and wanting him gone. I understand why some are not fans of him, my own father (my actual father, not someone who defends me on huskerboard :blink: ) is one of em, but he doenst want him gone. He just wants him to tone it down a bit. I'm calling on the ones who literally want him fired. As far as me referring to them as idiots, I think i've done that maybe once or twice, regrettingly, but I get heated when it comes to debating anything whatsoever, and if that's getting old to you, you need to maybe put your mind to something else, and if youve gone thru past posts to find that perhaps I have done it more, then you need to put your mind to getting a life, or a job or something. BO BIG RED

USC 62, 67, 72, 2003, 04

NU 70, 71, 94, 95, 97

Michigan 97

Ohio State 68, 2002

Fixed it for you.

Not in the AP.

Guys, if you managed to read, rather than just pump your man tit chests about how "much better of a fan you are than some other guy that just happens to type something that causes your fingers to rage"

If you look at the link or read the words, i explained that I used the AP poll - if you go back to the 60s there were 3,4, 5 diiferent polls. So have to use ONE poll - I selected the AP.

Read more, type less guys. It's really a viable method to learn.

It wasn't said in this thread...until then. But when it's in every single thread on this site in one place or another, you start just expecting it anyway. I'm sure if I went to 'Daily Skin', there's a picture of Kate Upton holding a sign that says 'fire Bo'.

I understand that. We finally have a thread not talking about Bo needing to be fired, and the people that hate the "Bo needs to be fired" talk start talking about the "Bo needs to be fired talk". That makes sense, lol.