I wish Callahan was still our HC

That's right, I said it.

I know it's an old argument, but word from an insider is he wasn't allowed to bring on a new/different DC. Had he been able to I would bet my house on our program being in better shape now.

After 2 seasons in a row now I don't have much opptunisim about the next season. That never happened w/ BC. What is there to be excited about for next year...or even for the next few years? Who is the QB coming up that will give us hope. I mean...TMart can still improve, but it's hard to get excited about. and I've been one of his supporters since day 1. BC had his faults, but he was making progress and he brought excellent talent to the program and was improving on his recruiting as years went by. His last full class was really good and the one he had in the works was excellent. If he just could/would have had a chance to revamp the D side and bring in a good DC. I blame his premature/short sighted firing on the many or at least vocal spoiled fans/players/boosters who IMO were close minded and a little to full of themselves. Now it will be virtually impossible to bring any any new HC is in high demand. It'll have to be a homer or younger guy which be an attempt and finding/praying for a diamond in the rough/up and comer. Us being so rigid and stubborn on our HC conforming to our "Nebraska way"(whatever that is...) and our tightness w/ paying coaches will see to this.

That all said, I guess it's easy to be excited about our young receivers...and hoping TMart works hard this off season and makes some big strides. He was just a sophomore this year afterall...

Everybody, EVERYBODY, hated Cosgrove. He was terrible. Why would Callahan be prohibited from bringing in a new DC? When Frank struggled, the NU inner circle strong-armed him into making wholesale staff changes. But you are saying NU treated Callahan differently? Why? That isn't even a good fabrication/excuse. It makes no sense at all. Whoever told you this is full of sh#t.

• Fire 5

Clownahan's offense excelled at rolling up big yds & pts at garbage time (when we were hopelessly blown out). Yeah, he could steamroll the opponent's water boys but that was about it.

Pedey/Cally was simply a titanic failure. Nothing more, nothing less.

I didn't read through all of this, but the OP is ludicrous.

Not sure how well you remember the 07 season, but we were pathetic. I distinctly remember sitting in the stands and being flat out EMBARRASSED by that team. Points? Sure, we scored a decent amount in some games, but often in garbage time. And that defense is still on the head coach.

The team played like crap starting at the SoCal game. Our team got totally dismantled by a team vastly more prepared than we were. And preparation was what Callahan totally lacked. His pro background led him into the trap of assuming that talent would carry players farther than good fundamentals and practice. This is a team that spent years - YEARS - not even having full contact practices.

My God, I remember Ball State. Thinking to myself, how does a BCS league team play down to the competition like this? Then we sneak by ISU, with the help and Bo Ruud TD. Missouri absolutely depantsed us. Then wheels started flying off left and right. The team lacked motivation, fundamentals, you name it.

And lets not even forget one of the most glaring mistakes of the 2007 season. Remember a guy by the name of Sam Keller? You might not. He was our starting QB for much of the season. And he was not good. He was the king of the check down pass. In fact, Marlon Lucky was the lucky recipient of that and amounted for quite a few receiving yards. Anything over 15 yards was an anomaly. Then late in the season, Keller gets injured and in comes Joe Ganz. And absolutely lights it up (comparatively) and actually keeps us in some games - if not for the defense. Callahan lacked (insert your reason here) to actually start Ganz over his golden boy Keller. This type of favoritism was foolish in the extreme, and may very have costed him quite a few of his earlier games.

I had the pleasure of meeting Callahan, and he was a class act. Great guy, who I would have no problem drinking some brews with and talking football. But as a head football coach, he didn't know what he was doing at the college level.

Callahan lacked (insert your reason here) to actually start Ganz over his golden boy Keller. This type of favoritism was foolish in the extreme, and may very have costed him quite a few of his earlier games.

I will go to my grave disagreeing with this. Keller was the better option for the offense we intended to run when the decision had to be made in August. Of course, the day Keller came in he was going to be declared the starter and everyone knew that, but he was better for the offense Callahan had in mind. Ganzy came in after Keller's injury and lit it up, but they changed things for him, adapted what they were doing to suit his skills, and basically let it all hang out. There are a lot of things I'll fault Callahan for, but the decision to start Keller won't be one of them. That was a decent football decision.

I had the pleasure of meeting Callahan, and he was a class act. Great guy, who I would have no problem drinking some brews with and talking football. But as a head football coach, he didn't know what he was doing at the college level.

This I definitely agree with. I have no problem with Bill Callahan the person, or the position coach. He just wasn't a good fit here. Doesn't make him evil, just wrong for the job. He was in need of a job, and he was put in a tough position by his need for a job and an idiot Athletic Director.

• Fire 1

Stupid a$$ thread... Mods delete please!!

If you don't agree with it, don't read it. But we're not going to delete a thread simply because it holds an opinion most find unfavorable. If it was obviously a trolling thread we would do something, but people are allowed to pine for the days of Bill Callahan if they wish.

• Fire 1

Come on Knapp. Keller got spooked in the pocket by the slightest hint of a pass rush and had little-to-no downfield vision.

Sure, WCO depends on short passes. But to open up the long passes (and some long runs hopefully). Keller didn't ever excel at that second part in 07. Especially after the SoCal/Ball St. games. Completely lost his confidence after that.