Why I am Terrified About Next Year

The thing that terrifies me about our program is actually 2 things I heard after the bowl game and both came from what I consider a credible inside source. 1- Taylor spent most or all of his spare time with his girlfriend and apparently did not socialize with his teammates. 2- A player claimed that it is a widely held belief on the team that you're either one of Bo's guys (and you play) or you're not (and don't get a fair chance). I am one person removed from this information so I realize it's not gospel but coupled with all the pessimistic talk on these boards about Bo's doghouse and not developing talent and the numerous times I feel this team has lacked any chemistry and has failed to play hard for the guy next to them, well it really has me concerned. I am still solidly a Bo supporter but I feel I may be drifting over to the darkside if this team doesn't start to prove things otherwise.

The thing about Taylor really doesn't surprise me as he has never struck me as a team leader or even very concerned about more than himself. But it is very worrisome if he won't grow into the leadership role the QB position requires and we're stuck with him because Bo is too enamored with him for 2 more years. I really don't want to turn in to another negative Nelly but it seems like it's happening.

Well Ive heard from what I know is a credible source, a student and friend/roommate of some players that Martinez really stepped up as a vocal leader this year, that all players love Bo and that Bo plays guys that show up and practice hard and well. He holds everyone accountable on the same level and the star doesnt get breaks over the walk on. I hate to get drunk on kool-aid, but to me it seems this is happening.

Let me make this easy for all of you. Did any of you watch this season? Okay, now remember this season. Now multiply that season times the next 2 seasons and WHAMMO! You now know what to expect for the next two years at Nebraska. Atleast the next two years. We'll see after that. As long as Bo continues to hire all his high school buddies for assistants, and Taylor Martinez is under center.........9 wins is what you get. Ohio State will beat us in their house. Michigan will take us behind the woodshed again. Wisconsin will still have a hell of a team and then you can expect to lose to somebody that you never dreamed we would lose to because this team clearly doesn't have the motivation or focus it takes to beat those sad ass teams into the dirt.

Expectations folks. They've got to change. Nebraska it not "The Nebraska" anymore. Colin Cowherd says it best. The days of these small town midwestern teams dominating is over. The fact that a University in Lincoln Nebraska was among the most dominant programs ever is absolutely miraculous. You can't lose that momentum once you get it. The last ten years of Nebraska football has driven this program too far into the realms of mediocrity. It's so so hard to climb back out when your competing against the SEC, U of Southern Cal, and traditional powers like Ohio State and Michigan. Then you look at all the teams that are rebuilding with new coaches and they are all flying right past us.

9 wins folks. 9. Get comfortable with that number. It's a good year. Nebraska will have good 9 win seasons.

On a side note. Carl Nicks doesn't even claim Nebraska on his gametime introduction. He says the name of the Junior College he went to. Talk about a slap in the face.

I can't wait until Bo proves all of the people like you wrong, and you guys come crawling back, talking about how great the team is. Haters gonna Hate.

The thing that terrifies me about our program is actually 2 things I heard after the bowl game and both came from what I consider a credible inside source. 1- Taylor spent most or all of his spare time with his girlfriend and apparently did not socialize with his teammates. 2- A player claimed that it is a widely held belief on the team that you're either one of Bo's guys (and you play) or you're not (and don't get a fair chance). I am one person removed from this information so I realize it's not gospel but coupled with all the pessimistic talk on these boards about Bo's doghouse and not developing talent and the numerous times I feel this team has lacked any chemistry and has failed to play hard for the guy next to them, well it really has me concerned. I am still solidly a Bo supporter but I feel I may be drifting over to the darkside if this team doesn't start to prove things otherwise.

The thing about Taylor really doesn't surprise me as he has never struck me as a team leader or even very concerned about more than himself. But it is very worrisome if he won't grow into the leadership role the QB position requires and we're stuck with him because Bo is too enamored with him for 2 more years. I really don't want to turn in to another negative Nelly but it seems like it's happening.

Well Ive heard from what I know is a credible source, a student and friend/roommate of some players that Martinez really stepped up as a vocal leader this year, that all players love Bo and that Bo plays guys that show up and practice hard and well. He holds everyone accountable on the same level and the star doesnt get breaks over the walk on. I hate to get drunk on kool-aid, but to me it seems this is happening.

We are drinking the same koolaid then. This is always the way I envisioned Bo being, and I think that is how he runs the program. Good to hear that someone close to the situation is saying things like that.

I really like hearing that and I don't doubt it in the least. I really struggled with whether or not to make my initial post. I still feel my source was credible but it is a very good chance that it came from a player that simply isn't doing enough to earn more time. It's kind of strange the things that seem more or less believable based on what we read from other posters on these boards. I have also seen and heard plenty that would indicate Bo has his players backs and vice versa. I am a little more leery of any claims of Martinez being much of a team leader but, we/I do have to remember he is still relatively young and may just need more time to grow in that aspect. It would help me immensely if I witnessed some of his "leadership" in some of the games or on the sidelines. He kind of strikes me as a highly talented kid but not necessarily outgoing or the type to do much more than try to take care of his duties. I'd really like to see him encourage his teammates, get in a lineman/receivers face when they screw up, something/anything to indicate he grasps the team concept better. I just may never shake my perception that he is sort of a prima donna daddy's boy and I realize a lot of that is due to the sideline cell phone deal of last year.

1. Nebraska's defense was disappointing this year and loses its 3 best players
  2. Very little development of backup players. Starters seemed to play even when hurt.
  3. The offense is built on a running QB that rarely scrambles from the pocket.
  4. Special teams stink. Nebraska has a great kicker, but all other aspects are below average.
  5. Penalties and turnovers haven't improved in years.

While I would agree the Huskers have a long way to go, I think your dire concerns are far too dramatic. I don't see this team slipping below the 9 to 10 win range. Is that acceptable? No. Is it difficult to stomach? Yes.

But for me to truly be "scared to death" the team would have to be staring at a .500 or worse season, and I just don't see anyway the Huskers will approach that level.

2. Very little development of backup players. Starters seemed to play even when hurt.
  3. The offense is built on a running QB that rarely scrambles from the pocket.
  4. Special teams stink. Nebraska has a great kicker, but all other aspects are below average.
  5. Penalties and turnovers haven't improved in years.

The world will end before the bowl game?

The first thing that comes to mind when reading some of these posts is..."How old are some of you who are posting here?" To say there's no problem, be satisfied or the way we played (no matter how many wins we had) is acceptable is something foreign to me (as well as most of the players I came through the system with). Had we accepted this type of play there never would have been the "old days" to remember.

TM is not going to improve, period (but his talent can be used in another position). If he can go a second season with a stance that looks like my sister throwing a football there's no way anything's going to change with him. That in itself is 90% a coaching issue. He throws dead ducks down the field and coaches don't correct his stance to improve on that passing ability? Pa-leeeeez!

Defense: Yes, we had our moments, but over all...God, I don't even want to think about it. There were times we got steamrolled this year and you can't make it any prettier by bringing up our win/loss numbers. To watch us on television when we stink up the place should be getting old for newbie fans. For fans who know how it used to be it's a killer.

Let's look at this from the standpoint of a top notch recruit. Do you really want to sit home and watch a team quit (be humiliated) on national tv while at the same time saying "I could be going there"? What will the parents of that recruit do? Push him to (name your other school) or say "Hey, go be part of that NE program" (and the parents have likely seen this happen to NE numerous times). Now, ad the "Pelini effect" to the equation.

Will NE allow everything that has been discussed in these forums to continue? Depends....it depends on money flow. I honestly think that's the reason (or a big part of it) that "you know who" is now coaching at Ohio U. and not NE, i.e. he didn't fit into fundraising plans going forward. We'll see if mediocrity and embarrasing tv appearances work for us over the next year or so. Once fundraising efforts start taking a hit, well...

Once we're "satisfied" it's all over.

We've already played a ton without Crick, and he wasn't really healthy when he was in. Fonz and David obviously hurt but we did get considerable JUCO help in Seisay and Anderson. Cassidy and Thorell aren't much of a loss. Everone else is back. Hopefully we can get some help from the rs-frosh and maybe Charles Jackson. Having a year of playing in the 10 under our belts should help and Bo will have control from the get-go. I think we'll be a little better.

On O Martinez should be another season smarter, question is whether he can get that step he lost back. RB's and receivers should definitely be improved. The trio should be more ready and Marrow can add a banger element. Kinnie could block but won't miss his drops. Other guys should be more developed, hopefully one becomes a go-to guy. Taariq Allen or Westercamp might come in and have an impact. The big ? is O-line. Guard will be fine. Who starts at center? A frosh in Reeves? Move Long over? Sirles was recovering from shoulder-surgery and Moore was a true-frosh, should be more ready this season but you don't know til you know. Can we cut back on the penalties, drops, and turnovers that hurt us this season? Being in the second season under the revamped O and staff should help. IMO the O should be considerably better.

The sched will be tough. Question is how staffing changes will affect our opponents from the Leaders.

Staff has seen a considerable shake-up. Do things come together this season? Does Beck grow as an OC with a season under his belt? Does Bo grow as a HC? Do we see more sketchy personnel decisions and his doghouse?

My guess is we improve some and go 10-2.

I agree with JJHusker....this team does lack chemistry. I don't know how you get that fixed. Also, since David is gone, who will be the leader. Martinez isn't. Someone needs to step up and take control. In the 80's, I can remember Broderick Thomas taking control, the 90's Alberts, Peter Brother's, etc. 2000, hard to think of one, now.......its a crap shoot. Maybe that is the key, chemistry.

I am too glad Thorell is gone and so is cassidy. Baker needs to step his game up. Overly hyped. Meredith, needs to find some speed off the edge.

Here's a thought. move some of those rangy safeties to backers and take care of the outside and flats. move some lb's to DE (i.e. fisher) and see what happens. That's what we did in the 90's.

The first thing that comes to mind when reading some of these posts is..."How old are some of you who are posting here?" To say there's no problem, be satisfied or the way we played (no matter how many wins we had) is acceptable is something foreign to me (as well as most of the players I came through the system with). Had we accepted this type of play there never would have been the "old days" to remember.

TM is not going to improve, period (but his talent can be used in another position). If he can go a second season with a stance that looks like my sister throwing a football there's no way anything's going to change with him. That in itself is 90% a coaching issue. He throws dead ducks down the field and coaches don't correct his stance to improve on that passing ability? Pa-leeeeez!

Defense: Yes, we had our moments, but over all...God, I don't even want to think about it. There were times we got steamrolled this year and you can't make it any prettier by bringing up our win/loss numbers. To watch us on television when we stink up the place should be getting old for newbie fans. For fans who know how it used to be it's a killer.

Let's look at this from the standpoint of a top notch recruit. Do you really want to sit home and watch a team quit (be humiliated) on national tv while at the same time saying "I could be going there"? What will the parents of that recruit do? Push him to (name your other school) or say "Hey, go be part of that NE program" (and the parents have likely seen this happen to NE numerous times). Now, ad the "Pelini effect" to the equation.

Will NE allow everything that has been discussed in these forums to continue? Depends....it depends on money flow. I honestly think that's the reason (or a big part of it) that "you know who" is now coaching at Ohio U. and not NE, i.e. he didn't fit into fundraising plans going forward. We'll see if mediocrity and embarrasing tv appearances work for us over the next year or so. Once fundraising efforts start taking a hit, well...

Once we're "satisfied" it's all over.

So uh, who are you, and what years did you play?

Well our 3 best player's on defense graduated....however IMO we lost the Real Crick before the season even started, and he was never at 100% in 2011....Then Dennard was not himself until the 7th game which helped the backups, because as we know the backups do not play much under Pelini. However the loss of David is substantial and this is going to force Pelini to install a riskier scheme then the two hand touch.... two gap, DL technique we currently employ!! Hopefully Kaz can help us here, he was able to coach up a walk on who had about the same production in one game as our DE's had all season stat wise so I am encouraged on his hire.

1. Very little development of backup players. Starters seemed to play even when hurt.

This happened the year before along the OL especially.....

1. The offense is built on a running QB that rarely scrambles from the pocket.

Martinez is still not comfortable in knowing when to run and also when to slide.

1. Special teams stink. Nebraska has a great kicker, but all other aspects are below average.

I am encouraged by abdullah as a returner, and special teams is built with quality tacklers, and athletes, IMO we are seeing that being addressed in recruiting.

Penalties and turnovers haven't improved in years.

Penalties have improved some....but when we have one we seem to have two...etc...Turnovers are a big problem....especially ones in the red zone.